• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need some disc advice

DGcajun

I'm primarily a LHBH thrower but I am working hard on my FH game to add another option to my shot arsenal

I have a boss that I can throw a good FH with but a lot of holes on my home course are too short and too narrow for the boss

I need a good over stable mid range and a slower driver to throw flex shots and FH shots, what do yall recommend??

Trident if you don't need crazy speed, Firebird if you do.

...I need a good over stable mid range and a slower driver to throw flex shots and FH shots, what do yall recommend??
Am I the only one who's going to suggest he consider trying a Roc to fill the OS mid slot?

Firebird for fairway and Drone for mid. If you are sticking with innova, maybe a gator for mid. I also use rhynos for 200 ft and less upshots. Some people prefer pigs for that slot, as rhynos flip with too much anhyzer, but pigs don't (usually/nearly as much).

Rocs flip with too much anhyzer. I like them for backhand, my main mids, but not forehand. Maybe after you develop some finesse.

MVP Resistor is an awesome FH fairway.

Have to give it a shout out here, since about 10 days ago I got my first tourney, and first FH ace with one.

Firebird for fairway and Drone for mid. If you are sticking with innova, maybe a gator for mid. I also use rhynos for 200 ft and less upshots. Some people prefer pigs for that slot, as rhynos flip with too much anhyzer, but pigs don't (usually/nearly as much).

Rocs flip with too much anhyzer. I like them for backhand, my main mids, but not forehand. Maybe after you develop some finesse.

Someone read my mind.....that is pretty much my OS portion of my bag.

Depending on range required:
- Firebird
- Drone
- Pig

Without knowing how far you throw, it's all a guessing game as to what to advise. But given that, I recommend a Champion Eagle "X".

For the Mid, a Roc3 (unless you're looking for a meat hook)

Without knowing how far you throw, it's all a guessing game as to what to advise. But given that, I recommend a Champion Eagle "X".

For the Mid, a Roc3 (unless you're looking for a meat hook)

I threw a 320' FH today with my boss, so that's not what I'm wanting .. I'm wanting a mid to cover finesse shots and a slower driver because the problem I have is the only disc I have that I can confidently throw a FH with is the boss but it doesn't work on holes that require a nice easy FH drive because I can't make it hold a line without putting a lot of speed on it

With that info, I would suggest a firebird. It is a speed 9 driver, but it is really OS, meaning you won't get a lot of distance. They are very predictable and easier to forehand than a midrange, which require some finesse. They're a great utility disc for thumbers and forehand rollers too. Just my 2 cents.

With that info, I would suggest a firebird. It is a speed 9 driver, but it is really OS, meaning you won't get a lot of distance. They are very predictable and easier to forehand than a midrange, which require some finesse. They're a great utility disc for thumbers and forehand rollers too. Just my 2 cents.

Couldn't agree more on the Firebird. No matter how hard or soft I throw it, it always finishes the same. It's almost impossible to turn it over too much when I FH it (which is a danger whenever I throw FH with any disc, due to my shocking form.)

Another benefit to the Firebird, I've found, is that it's quite easy to dose the distance when I throw FH with it. I use it on FH distances as short as ~120' with high confidence. For me, the Firebird might have the highest combo of forgivability, predictability & responsiveness of any disc I've ever thrown.

I've known all about the Firebird since I started playing a few years ago but I always dismissed it, assuming it was too advanced & OS for my sorry game. As I slowly began to ramp up the stability of my discs, I finally ended up trying a Firebird. It quickly became the disc in my bag I feel most confident in. I can see why it's been so revered for so long.

Good enough for The Champ, good enough for me!

I never clicked with the Firebird, but the XXX is the easiest to FH disc I've thrown. It's a little slower than the Firebird, but not by much. To me you just get a cleaner release.

For a mid, the Drone is pretty awesome, as is the Whippet X. You also might consider a Zone for something slower to give yourself some gap between discs.

↑ ↑ ↑
Also primarily LHBH
Also throw Boss for long FH
Throw Ascent for the shot you described.

I'll add another vote for the Trident. I am in the same boat as you with learning FH. I'm a LHBH as well but I FH right handed. (dumb I know) I can use a FL or Firebird with my right hand but learning with my left Trident has been money. It will flex or hold a line before fading very predictably.