• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nevin Park--Charlotte, NC

bettsjc

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Here's #2 on the Charlotte DG burner. Nevin Park in Charlotte, NC looks to be one of the next two courses to be developed in the area. Its location will be in Statesville Road Park, I-77 exit 16(Sunset Rd.) east 1/2 mile, south on Statesville Road 1/2 mile on left. In speaking with the developer of this course, it is currently set to be the second new course in Charlotte. The development stages may begin before or after the development of Elon Park's second 18 holes. No word on what type of course this may be, as far as distance, holes or difficulty/technicality, but will bring that to you once the information is published. Thank God for disc golf in Charlotte, NC baby!

Ah man!!!! I'm lovin' it!!!! Nevin Park is just minutes from where I work. Do you happen to know who the course designer is?

Stan McDaniel is the designer I believe. I'm pretty sure the same designer is in charge of Elon and Idlewild as well. He's in charge of all the new ones going into the ground as far as I know.

Okay, Charlotte officially has too many course, they need to ship those baskets up north into the Randleman/Greensboro area.

One of the next ones to go up will be 3 minutes from my house, whenever Idlewild does go up. And....No, Charlotte does not have too many courses. If they did, then one of them would be empty on the weekend.

Nevin Park, along with Elon Long, will be sinking baskets into the ground around the end of the year...should be playable come the beginning of the new year!

I am in charge of building Nevin Park along with the reigning Advanced AM World Champion. We have even designed some of the holes with Stan's guidance. We have 17 holes cut along with transitions. There are a few holes that have down trees that need hauling and all fairways have a number of holes that need to be filled with dirt. Please! If anyone wants to help out there is plenty to do. I have put about 150 hrs in to this course so any help would be appreciated.

Also, I just recently finished expanding Stumpy Creek and put almost 300 hrs in up there in the last year. If you get a chance play this course especially if you live around Charlotte. I think that you will find it as challening and beautiful as the 2 top dogs (renny gold and hornets nest web) especially with the elevation changes. Also, the parks maintenance staff has been putting in some CRAZY stairs all over the course. Here are a few of them. You don't see stuff like this on most DG courses especially built by the parks department.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44189295@N06/

Send me a PM if you want to volunteer anywhere in the Charlotte area. Nevin Park is about 2-3 miles from Hornets nest. I am hueyman2 at www.charlottedgc.com if you want to reach me there.

Last edited:
Poles, baskets, and tops will be installed this weekend. Two courses finished on the same day!

A note about "1978." This guy is a machine! I think those hours he posted above are LOW estimates for the amount of time he puts in on courses and for the club in general. If any of you guys need an example to follow to develop DG in your area, use him. This kind of participation is the reason the Charlotte Disc Golf Club has been so successful in course development.

Please play #11 LONG at Nevin. There is no basket in the short position, I may put a sleeve in for tournaments. 11 Long transitions to the right of 10's basket and is a hyzer first shot, a par 4. ~650' of woods. There are pictures up here (I can't upload to dgcr at work):

http://charlottedgc.invisionzone.co...ille-rd/page__pid__64437__st__360&#entry64437

Keep in touch if you want to help volunteer here as we get course par up to a "Nevin Nightmare" of 72 (at least). I'd expect to see up to another 1000' and 4 strokes added to the long layout when we are done.

Lol this thread was 1074 days old. !!! Feels like it opened yesterday.

The new hole #11 that Huey and Keatts designed and built is an awesome par 4. I think many will consider it the signature hole on the course.

%#%%#&%#+

Sorry mother nature, Stan, Matt, and I decide how easy Nevin is. can't wait to get out and do some designing. I doubt it will be easier though. Stan, how many truck tires you got ��

Sigh. That oak had to be well over 200 years old. Imagine what took place over the years around that ground where it grew. It literally makes me want to cry to think it is gone. What a magnificent tree it was. RIP big ol' tree.

Latest posts