• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] New 2.2 cm Defy (or deny?)

OK, quoting this instead of a new thread, but basically, Defy vs. Photon? I bought a Defy to be my Wave companion. After buying a few Waves, I found one(168 Neutron) that is perfect for me in dead wind or slight downwind. It's also great into some wind if I need a long continued turnover since I do not throw forehand. Defy, on paper, was the one. Holy crap did I ever end up with the wrong disc(173). I don't know if I just ended up with one on the more OS side of the curve and not sure what to do now. I see Photons in Fission come in the 160s. I don't want anything really light since this disc is needed for throws my Wave cannot handle. Options?

Try heavier Waves? Proton Wave? Heaviest Fission Photon I can find? Another Defy? Does color matter?

Ain't no freak.

All the Defy's I have are pretty darn OS. Well, depends on the weight. I have 3 max weight and they are lasers with solid HSS and a sharp late fade, the 165g I have has some bend to it but not a lot and always hooks up. Defy in general is stable to OS, so if you want a more stable WAVE, I'd say Max weight Proton Wave, or venture out and try a Tresspass - for me the Trespass was like a more stable wave. Get a Fuzion Trespass at whatever weight you like and the flight will be like that.

I have a couple of Trespasses. I like them ok. I just wanted something from the overmolders to go with the wave. I can't really defend it-just something I wanted to do.

I ran the Defy through the dryer just now and tried some tuning/bending. We have not had any decent wind lately for OS disc testing. May have to wait for this front to come through.

I am in the same boat - looking for a notch-more-stable Wave in the 150s. I ordered a 155 Neutron Defy x 2 for testing, so we will see how it does for my low-300s distance. I expect to have to beat it up a bit, and it may still be a meathook for me. Oh well, I am willing to do my part to support the disc golf industry. :D

When my throw is on I have no trouble keeping a 155 Neutron Wave on hyzer to flat or slight turn, even in headwinds or downhill. Wave also holds a long anny beautifully, usually with a late flex. As Aim has said, though, the Wave rides the knife-edge of stability vs. understability, so if my throw is off a little bit - holy runaway Wave turnover. :gross:

The Wave does surprisingly well as a FH disc, probably because it is so flat I get a clean release. I used to be able to throw FH around 300' but I aggravated an old shoulder injury, and didn't throw FH for a while. I have been throwing lots of putter and mid FH approaches, and I am cautiously adding FH drives back to my game.

Hoping that a beat-up Defy in the 150s is a little more workable than advertised. If not, I may try a low-150s Neutron Wrath. Previously I tried Wrath in the low-160s, but they needed flex to fly like I wanted.

I am a hyzer-flipper and most of my discs are understable so developing flex shot habits is dangerous for me.

Get you a Fission photon in the 150s and you should be good to go. They crush but are a touch more stable than a wave.

Thanks! Photon is more workable than Defy?

Also, low-150s Fission Photon less overstable than low-150s Plasma Photon?

Thanks!

It's a catch 22. The OS discs don't fly well until they are beat, and when fresh, I don't have a use for them to get them beat lol.

It's a catch 22. The OS discs don't fly well until they are beat, and when fresh, I don't have a use for them to get them beat lol.

Exactly. The wooded courses I play rarely demand shots other than variations on straight. Big fades usually = further into the rough.

I may be on a fruitless quest for the proverbial "longer Teebird". In my case a seasoned-to-straight-stable 155 DX Teebird. Still my favorite disc ever. If it was just not DX, lol.

I may be on a fruitless quest for the proverbial "longer Teebird". In my case a seasoned-to-straight-stable 155 DX Teebird. Still my favorite disc ever. If it was just not DX, lol.

Thunderbird did not work? The Pros are pretty darn straight.

Tried an Opto Falchion?

Thunderbird did not work? The Pros are pretty darn straight.

Tried a 162 G* Thunderbird. Nice disc, but not magic for me. I did not realize the Thunderbird was out in Pro. Looks like 165 is the lightest Pro ThB, unfortunately.

Tried an Opto Falchion?

I have not tried a Falchion, although it sounds like a nice disc. I have been throwing S-FDs for years, and worked on different angles they cover most of my straight, fade, mild flex, and headwind lines, without losing much distance to distance drivers. S-FD is my more-durable-seasoned-DX-Teebird substitute.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I took all my current OS stuff to a wide open tee that was facing into the wind today. So even compared to Recycled Giant, Fuzion Defender, and an ESP Force, the Defy was the most OS. It's got to be a freak.

Because it was supposed to be "a heavily seasoned MVP Photon or a longer Axiom Crave". That puts it just left of the Wave. It's simply not that disc. It's almost utility overstable. Well, mine was, and I was not going to chance it on a second.

I have a slight domed 165 P Defy that bombs. I have two N at 156 that flex. I have a max weight N that is slightly overstable. Boom! I understand this not being what it was billed as, but it still flies awesome for me. I'm wondering what I'm missing with the other drivers since this gets no love.

Also, the light N Defys can run an awesome distance hyzer.

Last edited:
I have a slight domed 165 P Defy that bombs. I have two N at 156 that flex. I have a max weight N that is slightly overstable. Boom! I understand this not being what it was billed as, but it still flies awesome for me. I'm wondering what I'm missing with the other drivers since this gets no love.

If you were late to the distance driver party the defy was basically a photon with a colored rim. I lost a few photons and replaced with defy no problem.

Once the 13-14 speed faster stuff came out (for any 350'+ thrower) the increased separation in stability/ distance was pretty obvious vs the 11-12 that are more like the 10 or 7 speeds which all split hairs very close.

I notice significant differences in my Volts vs my Defys. I guess I'll have to wait for a good marketplace sale for some of the other stuff.

Latest posts