• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Most Hyped Discs for Every Brand

As a Lone Star thrower these are always the first 5 discs I recommend to someone wanting to try them out. I always suggest the neutral discs in each speed class and go from there.

Putter: Penny
Mid: Texas Ranger
Fairway: Frio
Distance Driver: Bayonet
Approach: Copperhead

But imo, the most overhyped disc is the Warbird, with the Walker being a close second.

they have discs called "Walker" and "Texas Ranger"?

edit: and Lone Wolf is a reference to Airwolf!

I think this is a first in disc golf - pulling names from old TV shows?

they have discs called "Walker" and "Texas Ranger"?

I think this is a first in disc golf - pulling names from old TV shows?

Texas based manufacturer that does everything in house in Texas. Outside of the first few molds (which were made just for family and friends initially), those discs were named after the grandkids nicknames (like the BB6 for example, the grandsons initials and baseball number, or the Mad Cat created off the artwork, and still featuring that artwork, of the granddaughter). All the other molds are Texas and military historically themed (as it is a veteran owned company). Like the Brazos, Frio, and Seguin (for the Rivers), and the Bluebonnet (state flower), Warbird and Harrier (after fighter aircraft).

Texas Ranger literally came from actual Texas Ranger law enforcement and not the TV show, and according to the family, Walker is one of those ironic "nickname" discs. So I'm guessing the Texas Ranger was not TV affiliated, but the Walker was, or at least the nickname Walker in part.

I feel like recently I can't escape people talking about the Hex and Glitch. It could just be the local scene/my Twitter sphere but they are everywhere right now.

Texas based manufacturer that does everything in house in Texas. Outside of the first few molds (which were made just for family and friends initially), those discs were named after the grandkids nicknames (like the BB6 for example, the grandsons initials and baseball number, or the Mad Cat created off the artwork, and still featuring that artwork, of the granddaughter). All the other molds are Texas and military historically themed (as it is a veteran owned company). Like the Brazos, Frio, and Seguin (for the Rivers), and the Bluebonnet (state flower), Warbird and Harrier (after fighter aircraft).

Texas Ranger literally came from actual Texas Ranger law enforcement and not the TV show, and according to the family, Walker is one of those ironic "nickname" discs. So I'm guessing the Texas Ranger was not TV affiliated, but the Walker was, or at least the nickname Walker in part.

I don't know, I like my interpretation better. Seguin for the alternate captain of the Dallas Stars, Walker/Texas Ranger and Airwolf TV show references. A bit more seriously, I do like their use of Bluebonnet, Mockingbird, and things like that associated with official state symbols.

Sticking a bit more to the topic, I'm not sure I have ever seen a single person throwing Lone Star in my area, even though both of the stores carry them by the truckload, so they must be somewhat popular? Even bypassing more proven small scale sellers like DGA. I'm assuming that's more of a regional thing, but I wouldn't call any Lone Star stuff overhyped

Definitely a regional thing, though with the mass AM team they created my social media is flooded with people wanting disc comparisons to help make the switch. So every other post is recommending Lone Star molds. lol I do find that ironic as I'm a firm believer in you have to throw the disc to see what it does for you and that flight numbers aren't real. But they are a decent starting point. I guess my bias for overhyped Lone Star discs comes from constantly seeing it on my social media since I am sponsored by them.

Latest posts