• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Most Hyped Discs for Every Brand

Is it though? The L64 beetle kind of did this all quite a few years prior to the Glitch. Now, it's just hyped up because of Simon and the MVP cult.

The berg is one of the most annoyingly over-hyped discs ever. It's a glideless turd and for some reason people love it. Like, learn a little finesse in your game.

I throw the Berg on a lot of touch anny FH shots. Like, speak not of what you do not know.

The Berg helped teach me that I could throw any putter on the exact same touch lines, and doubled down to also give another slot in the bag.
:D:D:D

Is it though? The L64 beetle kind of did this all quite a few years prior to the Glitch. Now, it's just hyped up because of Simon and the MVP cult..

Sounds just like a supersonic only heavier (or a sonic only lighter...).

Yeah... I guess it's not that new, never thrown a beetle but the glitch could be like a longer birdie or a stable upshot. It's just so slow and straight. I recently got gifted a '98 150g apx 9/10 except for a brown stain.. tempted to throw it. Saw one online for 45..

I threw one of those dog disc versions of the sonic I want to say a 235 taffy?... anyhow they all seem harder to keep straight or resist the spin. If there is any uniqueness to the glitch it's the spin resistance on a flat throw.

Ru4por has a point about close haha, even if I have bagged some 50-80' throw ins, it's more likely to be close at 100' plus... so many close but not quite, and then a tap in. 5 close/tap ins still beats 4 blow bys and 1 in the basket.

I'm probably behind quite a bit on what is hyped right now, and since I pretty much only throw MVP/Axiom these days, I'll just stick with what I hear about on the course.

Lat 64: Grace
Mint: Bullet
Lonestar: they're local to my area, so lots of people are throwing all kinds of their frisbees. I feel like the brand is just hyped right now. But probably their neutral midrange, whatever it's called, is the most.
MVP: Glitch
Axiom: Envy or Hex
Streamline: sucks, no one cares.
Prodigy: also sucks, no one is hyping their discs.
Innova: Polecat (not as popular as the Destroyer/Wraith/Firebird, but I feel it's more hyped)
Dynamic: Judge
Discraft: Zone OS
Kastaplast: Berg
TSA: Praxis
Infinite: Does anyone not on their team even throw their discs?

What's interesting to me is the number of Frisbees that at least I personally see as hyped being putter/approach types, and specifically somewhat specialized putt/approach discs. You're probably not throwing the Zone/Zone OS, Berg, or Glitch on any normal drives and approaches, but just on the shots you specifically need them to do their thing for. It makes me think that a lot of the hype I see isn't necessarily because a disc is a great fit for any bag, but because it's a great disc at a very specific thing that not a lot of other discs do well. The Gltich and Berg are basically antithesis to each other, but both have very specific uses. The Polecat is kind of in between the two, but fits in the same category.

Not sure any Millennium disc really gets hyped on Reddit or YT. If we're looking at the past, JLS was once the most hyped disc of its day, but now 19.5 times out of 20 people are going to use the FD as the benchmark for that slot instead.

QMS and QMEGA saw some hype as well, at least locally to me.

To add to the shenanigans of hype because this is a good thread and I'm a mid tier relic of disc golf.

Here's what the 2008 og hype baller bag looks like.

I may be more 06-07 hype in mind than 8 but I would add: Agusta Wraith, switch the spirit to the green Nike, add a Pulse if player smashes FH. Also I will call ya out. Blue X Comets with sparkles were the best X. Yellow/Orange Z were the **** too.

I throw the Berg on a lot of touch anny FH shots. Like, speak not of what you do not know.

The Berg helped teach me that I could throw any putter on the exact same touch lines, and doubled down to also give another slot in the bag.
:D:D:D

That's why the berg earned its hype. While it's super forgiving but responds to touch extremely well. I had an OK FH approach with Rhynos and Zones. 7 years of throwing bergs almost exclusively for FH under 225' developed the ability to control nose angle to insane levels. Could land the thing on a dime no skip. Now I find myself capable of throwing my inner core 275' FH with minimal turn.

That's why the berg earned its hype. While it's super forgiving but responds to touch extremely well. I had an OK FH approach with Rhynos and Zones. 7 years of throwing bergs almost exclusively for FH under 225' developed the ability to control nose angle to insane levels. Could land the thing on a dime no skip. Now I find myself capable of throwing my inner core 275' FH with minimal turn.

You just described the breaker for me, which is why I don't buy into the berg hype

most people throwing the berg aren't doing it for finesse reasons, not throwing touchy forehand anhyzers with them, at least from what I've seen on the courses near me.

I do! Getting the Raze in the mail today, and eager to try it out. Alpacas are money putters. But I guess to your point, I don't think they have a "most-hyped" discs aside from whatever they are closest to releasing. So right now the Raze is getting hype, but with the Roman coming out this month it will also get hype.

Like any manufacturer that uses other molds/modified molds, they just kind of get lost in the noise.

I'm probably behind quite a bit on what is hyped right now, and since I pretty much only throw MVP/Axiom these days, I'll just stick with what I hear about on the course.
Lonestar: they're local to my area, so lots of people are throwing all kinds of their frisbees. I feel like the brand is just hyped right now. But probably their neutral midrange, whatever it's called, is the most.
Yeah, I'm guessing proximity to the TX manufacturers means you don't get as much Infinite out that way. Infinite isn't super popular near me in KS/MO region but I hear about the Tomb more than their other molds plus I've been throwing one since the first release like 5 years ago. Pretty comparable to an Envy IMO.

Lonestar is riding the new manufacturer hype with a impressive lineup and their blanket street team 'sponsorship' offering escalated their hype on a broad scale. I think the pace of their new molds coming out may diminish any of their existing ones getting much traction with longtime players. 34 molds since Sept. 2020!

I do! Getting the Raze in the mail today, and eager to try it out. Alpacas are money putters. But I guess to your point, I don't think they have a "most-hyped" discs aside from whatever they are closest to releasing. So right now the Raze is getting hype, but with the Roman coming out this month it will also get hype.

Like any manufacturer that uses other molds/modified molds, they just kind of get lost in the noise.

Tomb gang! Lots of Infinite Discs lineup are Innova variants but the Tomb kinda stands out as a variant that outshines the originals (Rat top & Stud/Colt bottom) in popularity/hype. Each Tomb release is a 'drop' that people clamor for especially after the 2019-2021 lack of releases.

Infinite releases specialty plastic blends (glow, metal flake, luster, swirly, spatter, halo, gummy) to go with either D-blend and/or I-blend for each mold (occasionally standard C/S blends). They kinda took over for Discmania as far as available limited edition plastic blend runs produced by Innova which is where the hype comes in for their lineup & brand.

You just described the breaker for me, which is why I don't buy into the berg hype

most people throwing the berg aren't doing it for finesse reasons, not throwing touchy forehand anhyzers with them, at least from what I've seen on the courses near me.

Its definitely not the only disc that can do the job for sure. I prefer the Serpent due to plastic options and backhand grip.

There is something to be said about very slow discs and low glide discs and how small the margins of error are, my "misses" with the berg were usually within a 10-15' radius of target.

I also do love me some breakers as well.

Is it though? The L64 beetle kind of did this all quite a few years prior to the Glitch. Now, it's just hyped up because of Simon and the MVP cult.

The berg is one of the most annoyingly over-hyped discs ever. It's a glideless turd and for some reason people love it. Like, learn a little finesse in your game.

The Berg meme was my welcome to reality moment. Ordered it and got all excited thinking I would never mess up another upshot only to find out the real fault lay with myself. The Kaxe used to get a lot of hype on Reddit but it didn't do anything special for me either.

I feel like Prodigy has to be A2 and M4, historically. There was some hype around the hxv2's when they came out but that's kind of died down.

Infinite to me is the Emperor and Exodus and Tomb

I feel like Prodigy has to be A2 and M4, historically. There was some hype around the hxv2's when they came out but that's kind of died down.

Infinite to me is the Emperor and Exodus and Tomb

I suppose if we have to talk about Prodigy I would say F5 has to be one of their best molds. It's literally the only mold they have that I am even tempted to throw.

Being that this is only my fourth year playing, and being that I've followed many disc suggestions on these forums, my bags are full of rock solid hype. In all seriousness, the advice on these forums has helped me shape what I throw. Sometimes I'll deviate to non hype brands just to find something different. I just built a small Doomsday bag, and discovered two new favorite discs. The Despair mid, and the Dystopia 10 speed driver. I highly doubt that their 16 speed Weapon Of Mass Distance will ever be a hype disc, lol. Ditto with their goofy Landmine putter.

Being that this is only my fourth year playing, and being that I've followed many disc suggestions on these forums, my bags are full of rock solid hype. In all seriousness, the advice on these forums has helped me shape what I throw. Sometimes I'll deviate to non hype brands just to find something different. I just built a small Doomsday bag, and discovered two new favorite discs. The Despair mid, and the Dystopia 10 speed driver. I highly doubt that their 16 speed Weapon Of Mass Distance will ever be a hype disc, lol. Ditto with their goofy Landmine putter.

Landmine was fun. So silly straight.

DGCR has been a great spot to get the honest look into some under the radar discs for a long time. Go back in time 12-18 years here (and grand daddy dgr forums) and you would see what shaped my game and bag. The discs that got hyped in this little world wasn't quite in line with the rest of the disc community but they are nearly all gems. We were on the Comets, Polecats, Predators were common in peoples bags. Gateway discs not called the wizard (though we hyped wizards too). We were first on board with new brands Kastaplast, Discmania, Mint as they developed. RDG almost seemed birthed here. Despite the (easy to aviod if you aren't a mod) drama its been a cool group to "grow up" in.

Without prejudice (other than not including specialty runs mentioned), this is what you have collectively stated:

Above Ground Level: Cedar

Clash: Soda,

DGA: Quake

Discmania: Every new release. DD3, FD, MD3, MD1, P2, Rainmaker, Cloudbreaker, Razor Claw, TacticTactic, PD, Essence

Discraft: Buzzz, Force, Zone/OS/McBeth, Nuke, Comet, XL, Luna/Anax

Dynamic: Judge, Felon, Trespass, Justice, Emac Truth, Warden

Essential: Honey

Gateway: Wizard

Infinite: Pharaoh, Tomb, Emperor

Innova: Firebird, Destroyer, Wraith, Roc/3, Aviar/3, Leopard/3, Mako/3, Road Runner, Polecat

Kastaplast: Berg, Reko, Grym, Falk, Kaxe

Latitude 64: Pure, River, Explorer, Fuse, Saint Pro, Grace, Ballista Pro

Lone Star Disc: Mad Cat, and "their neutral mid".

Legacy: Cannon, Rampage, Patriot

Millennium: OLF (not sure if this is still hyped at all), Omega, JLS

Mint: Freetail, Bullett

MVP/Axiom/Streamline: Proxy, Envy, Crave, Insanity, Hex, Glitch, Pilot, Wave, Tesla, Octane, Photon. Adding Ion and Volt, not sure how these two long time DGCR hyped staples have not been mentioned.

Prodigy: A2, M4, D3, D2, D1, HXV2

Prodiscus: Jokeri

Reptilian Disc Golf: Gila, Stego

Trash Panda: Inner core

Thought Space Athletics: Praxis

Westside: Harp, Giant, King, War Horse, World

Some discs get hype from being super OS:
Tilt, Slab, Max, Zone OS, Justice, Juggernaut, Flare, Splice, FAF Firebird, Stego, Stilleto, Nuke OS, PD2, Whippet, Xtreme

or US:
Avenger SS, Heat, Sol, Sonic, Mamba, Uplink, Paradox

Impressively few teebird mentions.

Retro list:
Westside Stag used to be a thing.
So did the DGA Blowfly.
Lat64 had Halos, and they were just discs, not overpriced OS plastic with weird paint on the rim.
The guys who make the soles of your disc golf shoes had (have?) discs, and the Lace and Ibex were well hyped.
The Innova Viper used to be both OS hyped, and hold distance records.

As a Lone Star thrower these are always the first 5 discs I recommend to someone wanting to try them out. I always suggest the neutral discs in each speed class and go from there.

Putter: Penny
Mid: Texas Ranger
Fairway: Frio
Distance Driver: Bayonet
Approach: Copperhead

But imo, the most overhyped disc is the Warbird, with the Walker being a close second.

The hype-only bag might be:

Kastaplast Berg
MVP Glitch
Discmania P2
Axiom Envy
Discraft Zone
RDG Stego
Axiom Hex
Latitude64 Fuse
Discraft Buzzz
DYnamic Discs Justice
Discmania FD
Innova Teebird
Innova Firebird
Discmania PD
Innova Wraith
Innova Destroyer
Discraft Nuke

I was going to have DGCR build me a bag, but all I really need to acquire is a Fuse and a Justice and I'll have this that I can rock as a setup. Honestly it's not that much different than what I already throw, and I figure I can slot a Comet and a Quake instead and I can see how I do.

Latest posts