• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New 2013 Minnesota Winter Thread - MSP Minneapolis St. Paul MN Tips Courses Discs

anyone playing in the st paul ice bowl? i cant decide what day i wanna play in. also lookin at playing a league on the opposite day since ill be driving up from kato

I am playing on Sunday. I am undecided about the overnight marathon round, but I have plans on Saturday until at least after dark.

Driving range hole and or the 440 footer after that? I can see that. I will restate what I meant. Ray will attempt to matt down the fairways. Obviously this works better in the woods where the fairways are not that wide, but I often see him out there doing his best on the wide open holes. Ultimately, I want to point out that there is an attempt after every snow fall by either him or his family.

I am not saying anything against you or what you saw, but maybe you just caught him between groomings. He plays out there several times a week and I bet he hates to search for and lose discs as much as anyone else.

Also, in my opinion I'm not sure if it even matters if he "grooms" fairways on open holes like that in a MN winter. Probably an uphill battle most days. Plus discs will get buried under snow no matter what sometimes - add the ribbon as mentioned earlier in this thread and you'll be good to go. I didn't notice any fligth difference the other day when I did it and it saves you from having to kick up snow.

what im saying is does anyone wanna meet up for the ice bowl in st paul? haha and does the day of play matter?

I'm planning on playing the ice bowl on Sunday, not sure what time, not sure if I know of anybody that's going to play with me or if I was just going to find a card when I got there.

I'm planning on playing the ice bowl on Sunday, not sure what time, not sure if I know of anybody that's going to play with me or if I was just going to find a card when I got there.

I would be more than happy to card with you again. I think we were together a few years back.

My plan is to tee off as early as possible on Sunday.

I dont get mad if i lose my winter discs because I change out my good mids and drivers. The 440 ft hole IMO is the hole that is easiest to lose a disc in the winter out there for some odd reason. Just seems drives end up and very odd locations at times because the wind seems to swirl on that hole. Not that we should fully expect him to plow or groom the course but he also wants to make $$$$ in the winter and its the best way to monopolize the disc industry in the winter. Who really would not wanna pay 5 bucks to only have to look for discs a few times per rd?

PS Kind of funny that my gf was sitting next to me when i read your original comment Scott, she said thats a bunch of bull$hit and that I lose discs everytime I play there in the winter in the snow. So lucky to have a woman who understands!

PS Kind of funny that my gf was sitting next to me when i read your original comment Scott, she said thats a bunch of bull$hit and that I lose discs everytime I play there in the winter in the snow. So lucky to have a woman who understands!

I think the last disc I lost there was on Hole 4. It was a Star Leopard that drifted too far left and I could not find it. I never play with ribbons, because of lazy factor, but that Leopard was the only one I have lost there during the winter. I have dumped plenty in the water during the summer, but I have been lucky in the snow.

I did spend 15 minutes looking for a SSS Voodoo on the shortest hole until Ray's group caught up with me and found it in 30 seconds.

I see the four holes crossing the sod grass being the biggest problems. Ray and company usually trample down the fairways with a snowmobile or four wheeler with a weight behind it, but they usually only mat down a path three or four vehicles wide. With that open space, I am not surprised people cannot hit that tiny groomed fairway.

Side note; during the Winter Blaster five years ago we teed off with no snow on the ground but the it was starting to come down hard. By the time my group got to Hole 7 (long hole with pond in the middle) there were several inches on the ground. My card mate found the dirt patch on the side of the pond perfectly in the middle and where everyone saw it land. Five people looking in a 20 foot by 50 foot area and we could not find it. The rec group in front of us (who plays a rec round during a blizzard while a tournament is going on?) we're playing with white discs. They started with five discs each, they walked away with a combined four discs. It was great seeing Ray out there shoveling during the storm to ensure that people were having a great time.

I am not affliliated with the Jordans by any means, I just love what he is doing for the sport.

We got down to BRP after driving through crazy white out conditions from Duluth to Hinckley.
One other car in the lot. 4 inches of fresh snow. We had to clear the teepads (mostly with our boots, lots of brooms missing)
There was a good foot of snow there at least.

We got down to BRP after driving through crazy white out conditions from Duluth to Hinckley.
One other car in the lot. 4 inches of fresh snow. We had to clear the teepads (mostly with our boots, lots of brooms missing)
There was a good foot of snow there at least.

Great, thanks for proving me wrong, Ray! Normally his family is all over taking care of this course. I know that he is out of town, but come on Ray, I have been defending BRP as one of the best places to play during the winter.

I've just got to say that there are some really dedicated people in MN making year round disc happen. With a little ribbon and the right clothing it's been pretty refreshing to get a few rounds in the last month or so. Here's my report so far:

Plymouth Creek had teepads shoveled along with a path to the basket and the next tee when I was there last week. Seems to be a regular thing for them. Made the round super easy to trek through!

Highland has had teepads shoveled recently every time I've gone. Lots of foot traffic but deep snow a lot of places.

Acorn wasn't shoveled the first time I went but by the time I was leaving after 9 holes to find one some other crew had brought one on their round already. That was a couple weeks ago so not sure what it's like now but I could tell there was a good crew doing work there.

And BRP was in great shape on that 40+ degree Saturday we had a week or so ago so I can only imagine they've been keeping an eye on the weather making sure it's in good shape for the nice days.

Great job everyone! I'd help out somewhere but seems like it's been pretty well covered. Thanks to everyone putting in work out there!

Last edited:
I've just got to say that there are some really dedicated people in MN making year round disc happen. With a little ribbon and the right clothing it's been pretty refreshing to get a few rounds in the last month or so. Here's my report so far:

Plymouth Creek had teepads shoveled along with a path to the basket and the next tee when I was there last week. Seems to be a regular thing for them. Made the round super easy to trek through!

Westside Wednesday rotates between here, Hanson, and Central Park. Plus, I know of at least three or so individuals who have basically taken upon themselves to keep this course playable year round.

Highland has had teepads shoveled recently every time I've gone. Lots of foot traffic but deep snow a lot of places.

I played this once, during the summer, and likely not going to again. Too much traffic from those who would prefer to be out and clogging the course with an occasional throw. I have nothing against those who use playing as strictly as a social gathering; it just means that I will play somewhere else when I want a serious round. I may have to reconsider if the park is not as heavily played during the winter.

Acorn wasn't shoveled the first time I went but by the time I was leaving after 9 holes to find one some other crew had brought one on their round already. That was a couple weeks ago so not sure what it's like now but I could tell there was a good crew doing work there.

They have an Ice Bowl either this weekend or the next, so it would be my assumption that within the next few days it will be taken care of. Foot traffic is rather heavy and does a good job beating down the fairways. The tee pads are rough and suck to begin with. I bet they are a nightmare to shovels because of how they chew them up. Acorn has too many blind spots to safely play along during the winter. It is always best to have another pair of eyes.

And BRP was in great shape on that 40+ degree Saturday we had a week or so ago so I can only imagine they've been keeping an eye on the weather making sure it's in good shape for the nice days.

BRP is always the best, but I have noticed that Ray is starting to take care of other business and hobbies as well this winter. He is well aware of the reputation of his course and will do his best to keep it top notch. However, even yesterday's weather was bad and cold enough where he said that he would let it go for one day. I doubt he was out today either.

Great job everyone! I'd help out somewhere but seems like it's been pretty well covered. Thanks to everyone putting in work out there!

I want to throw a shout out to Clearwater as well. It is considered a North Zone course, but being right off of I94 it is not difficult to get at. It is not quite Saint Cloud. Jimmy puts a lot of time and effort into making sure the tee boxes are ready to go. It is a tight course to begin with, so the snow is not as deep because of it being sheltered by the trees, but you do need to have a keen eye if you get kicked off the fairway.

I would say its a small group of 10 or so people in the metro who clear off of teepads in the wintertime.
Alex B does the ones as Highland Park I believe, George does both Acorn and Lakewood, Muddy does Plymouth, Kent does Eagles Edge, I know Scott you will do whereever(we were gonna do the ones at sportsmans hill a couple weeks ago but you had already gotten to hole 10 when we got there. I myself bring a shovel often to many courses and sometimes you get lucky to have someone do them before you.

Acorn and Kaposia are your best bet for winter golf. I lived in the Cities from December 2010 - April of 2013 and play a TON of winter disc golf at the two courses above.

Out of curiousity, why not the Valley?

I want to throw a shout out to Clearwater as well. It is considered a North Zone course, but being right off of I94 it is not difficult to get at. It is not quite Saint Cloud. Jimmy puts a lot of time and effort into making sure the tee boxes are ready to go. It is a tight course to begin with, so the snow is not as deep because of it being sheltered by the trees, but you do need to have a keen eye if you get kicked off the fairway.

Jimmy and the crew there have drastically improved the course after the summer storm with tress down everywhere the course was unplayable. Their dedication is amazing. They had the front 9 cleared out the weekend after the storm this summer. pro/am concrete pads for all 18 holes now too. Im waiting for it to get above 20 again but ill be there..

Out of curiousity, why not the Valley?

The majority of holes have blind spots, which makes it nearly impossible to play solo. If you get a few spotters, that is a different story. I know winter golf happens there, but it is tough enough to play when there is no snow on the ground.

The majority of holes have blind spots, which makes it nearly impossible to play solo. If you get a few spotters, that is a different story. I know winter golf happens there, but it is tough enough to play when there is no snow on the ground.
Say what? Hardly any blindness at the Valley in the short tee winter layout, especially compared to say Kaposia and even Acorn. Even the long tees only have a few places where you might not see your disc land.

Last edited:
Say what? Hardly any blindness at the Valley in the short tee winter layout, especially compared to say Kaposia and even Acorn. Even the long tees only have a few places where you might not see your disc land.

I almost never play shorts, that will likely be the difference. In fairness, The Valley is quite the drive for me, so I almost never have the time to play casual rounds down there during the winter anyway.

From the longs, Hole 2 has lots of blind. So does Hole 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 13, and 14. I might be off with my numbers here and there, but in all that is nearly half the holes will have some sort of blind spot. Again, that is all from the longs, of which I would be hesitant to play from solo. I have not tried the shorts, so I bet that it would be tremendously better to play in the snow.

So I guess my question is, how big of difference is it from the shorts to longs? I may have to give it a try then.

I haven't played Slacker yet in winter but it I think they may play some holes like 2, 8 & 14 from the short tees.