• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Bag company LBBAGS

Upper Park is pumping out an excellent product at middle of the road prices, in my opinion. I love my Shift as a lighter bag.
This bag seems a solid entry into the very-top-of-the-line monster bags. There are only a few I put into that category, and they're all priced about the same.
I'll look forward to seeing what Levi does next, as I don't needs a monster like this. But those that do are probably willing to pay for quality.
Just sayin'.
-Mahal Lover

I cant deny that i am likely to end up going with Upper Parks Design because of the affordable price range of bags. Still one can dream that a bag such as LB's will one day be offered at an affordable price. Thankfully it doesnt cost anything to dream... :p

I cant deny that i am likely to end up going with Upper Parks Design because of the affordable price range of bags. Still one can dream that a bag such as LB's will one day be offered at an affordable price. Thankfully it doesnt cost anything to dream... :p

If you want a comparably sized bag, the UPD Rebel is typically $200. What was the retail on this one...$279? So $80 is the difference between affordable and not affordable, in your view?

If you want a comparably sized bag, the UPD Rebel is typically $200. What was the retail on this one...$279? So $80 is the difference between affordable and not affordable, in your view?

Last I checked the rebel is on sale at $150 to clear them out in anticipation for the Rebel 2.0 . The remaining bags they offer are even less expensive. :thmbup:

Last I checked the rebel is on sale at $150 to clear them out in anticipation for the Rebel 2.0 . The remaining bags they offer are even less expensive. :thmbup:

Understood, but until a couple days ago it was $200. It's a fire sale to move remaining inventory so they can sell the new version, which will be $200.
You can't compare their other offerings to this bag. That's not a fair comparison.

Anyway, affordable means something different to everyone. We all knew that. Carry on.

I agree with you on regards to supporting individual entrepreneurs Vs the greedy scheme's of corporations. With that being said it is only a matter of time for some big corporations to decide that they are going to fill in the missing price ranges for Disc bags. These corporations will be able to squash out single entrepreneurs in a matter of months :thmbdown: I dont want that to happen, but with so few of companies marketing to the middle price range i fear its inevitable.:doh:

This is already done and has been going on for a while. Magellen, Ogio, and Mystery Ranch are all large producers of other bags that have gotten into the disc golf market with a previously established business model. The vast majority of the rest of the bag sellers in the market don't actually make the bags that they sell. I'm talking about Grip, Lat 64, Millennium/Hyzerbomb, and others. Those bags are all outsourced to oversees textile producers who make a whole bunch of other stuff. The only bag, aside from LB now, that I know for a fact is actually MADE by the company selling it is Gorilla Boy. There may be another somewhere that I don't know about.

What "middle" price range exactly are you talking about? With where the market is at currently we have a pretty established pricing structure. A cheap backpack goes for about $180, and a top of the line for about $280, with a few falling somewhere in the middle, but more on the lower end of that scale then the higher end. Magellen is an outlier in the current market.

Unless you're referring to the middle as somewhere between a magellen and the rest of the market I guess I could see your point. But don't hold your breath, cuz I doubt its happening anytime soon.

Anytime price is brought up on golf equipment, people bring out their pitchforks. Either people accusing manufacturers of pricing stuff too high, or accusing discers of being too cheap. It's true that discers are notoriously cheap, even with these high end bags on the market, dg is still one of the least expensive sports out there.

That being said, a ~$300 bag is still no small sum. A quick glance at REI shows their most expensive daypack at $240, an Arc'teryx. Arc'teryx is top of the line gear, and REI charges full MSRP, so definitely nothing to shake a stick at. DG manufacturers are dealing with a niche market so a markup is to be expected. But still, regardless of how cheap the dg populace may be, it's not unreasonable for someone to take pause and ask "wait, you want HOW much for this?"

I'm all for people being able to make a living with new and innovative dg products, and there's certainly a place for having top of the line gear, along with bargain entry level stuff. I would like to see a bit more middle of the road options though.

I don't think that comparing DG backpacks to day packs, school back packs, or anything else is really fair. DG puts a completely different amount of stress on a bag then anything else, that requires a pretty absurd amount of tolerance in the materials if it is going to hold up for very long. A standard round of disc involves putting on and taking off the bag somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 times. That's exponentially more stress then a school backpack or even a hiking backpack will experience in a similar time frame. There are other unique materials considerations that go into DG packs but I think I made my point.

The other thing to consider is the pre backpack market. I don't think its unreasonable to assume it would cost you at least $100 or slightly more for a pretty solid old style bag and quad set up. I know that's about what I paid for a bag that lasted me 7 years. A backpack is at least twice the raw materials as a old school bag, if not more, as well as a much more complex setup to design and manufacture. So is paying 180-280 really that unreasonable? I mean shoot, MSRP on a Revo Carolina is $185, and tons of people were happy to spend that on such a bullet proof bag. That one isn't even a backpack!

What exactly is middle of the road to you? With the amount of stuff that we collectively as a hobby are asking bag makers to give us I just don't see the motivation to price anything underneath the established market.

This is already done and has been going on for a while. Magellen, Ogio, and Mystery Ranch are all large producers of other bags that have gotten into the disc golf market with a previously established business model. The vast majority of the rest of the bag sellers in the market don't actually make the bags that they sell. I'm talking about Grip, Lat 64, Millennium/Hyzerbomb, and others. Those bags are all outsourced to oversees textile producers who make a whole bunch of other stuff. The only bag, aside from LB now, that I know for a fact is actually MADE by the company selling it is Gorilla Boy. There may be another somewhere that I don't know about.

I'm 99% certain Big Hyzer Bags are all made by hand in Alabama. I know mine was.

No Excuses bags are hand/American made, and I believe Voodoo makes their own bags as well.

Last edited:
nailed it

Poor isnt the issue. I understand a need for the expensive luxury bag. I also understand the need for the cheapest bags. The bottom line is people dont need a 300$ bag for this sport. In order for these bag companies to reach the majority of disc golfers they have to find the balance of price and quality. Hell, we dont even need a disc golf dedicated backpack to carry our discs. The difference between these 300$ bags and a jansport isnt that big of gap in relation to a disc carrying device. These companies with these expensive bags have to price them so high because the volume isnt there.
All you kids think your paying top dollar for top quality when your actually overpaying by a mile. If you believe in your product and design/longevity you wouldnt put a 200$ markup on the bag. As these bag prices sky rocket, the design has stayed exactly the same since gripeq/revo. So all you suckers are gonna pay for the latest and greatest sales pitch and a pocket in a slightly diff place but will gain nothing.
There is no uniqueness to any of these new backpacks. They are pricing themselves out of the market. Put this bag at 179$ and he may sell 3 times as many.
I do like this bag though, seems well thought out. Hopefully they can start off with a amazing bag and have all the supply needed. They lose so much money if they cant keep up with orders or they have to have 3 versions before its a good bag.
Ok im done ranting, i love seeing new products. I can easily afford several, but the reason i have had the grip since day one is because no one has improved on the design. Why upgrade a backpack to another backpack. If i didnt have a backpack, what makes yours cost almost twice as much as some competitors? And dont tell me its the "coach purse of disc golf bags". When it comes down to it, its 100% a backpack.

RM3GAhe.gif

I agree with you on regards to supporting individual entrepreneurs Vs the greedy scheme's of corporations. With that being said it is only a matter of time for some big corporations to decide that they are going to fill in the missing price ranges for Disc bags. These corporations will be able to squash out single entrepreneurs in a matter of months :thmbdown: I dont want that to happen, but with so few of companies marketing to the middle price range i fear its inevitable.:doh:

This will probably never happen because the economies of scale needed to result in slashed prices will never be met by the demand produced by our niche sport. A top of the line DG backpack costs $250-280 because people will pay it. Is the flight of any given CE or other rare disc really 10x better than current production runs? Hell, does a 32oz Hydroflask really contain $35 worth of steel and advertising, or did a CD really have $15 worth of plastic and production? Of course not, but people like nice things and the people that can afford them will buy them.

also, long live Upper Park Designs!

Poor isnt the issue. I understand a need for the expensive luxury bag. I also understand the need for the cheapest bags. The bottom line is people dont need a 300$ bag for this sport. In order for these bag companies to reach the majority of disc golfers they have to find the balance of price and quality. Hell, we dont even need a disc golf dedicated backpack to carry our discs. The difference between these 300$ bags and a jansport isnt that big of gap in relation to a disc carrying device. These companies with these expensive bags have to price them so high because the volume isnt there.
All you kids think your paying top dollar for top quality when your actually overpaying by a mile. If you believe in your product and design/longevity you wouldnt put a 200$ markup on the bag. As these bag prices sky rocket, the design has stayed exactly the same since gripeq/revo. So all you suckers are gonna pay for the latest and greatest sales pitch and a pocket in a slightly diff place but will gain nothing.
There is no uniqueness to any of these new backpacks. They are pricing themselves out of the market. Put this bag at 179$ and he may sell 3 times as many.
I do like this bag though, seems well thought out. Hopefully they can start off with a amazing bag and have all the supply needed. They lose so much money if they cant keep up with orders or they have to have 3 versions before its a good bag.
Ok im done ranting, i love seeing new products. I can easily afford several, but the reason i have had the grip since day one is because no one has improved on the design. Why upgrade a backpack to another backpack. If i didnt have a backpack, what makes yours cost almost twice as much as some competitors? And dont tell me its the "coach purse of disc golf bags". When it comes down to it, its 100% a backpack.

Grip and other companies are not making $200 markup on every bag. Their current pricing is very healthy for the growth of disc golf. The pricing supports brick and mortar re-sellers as well. Selling a few grip bags a week and making full margins will pay rent and keep these local business open. Grip is priced to help disc golf grow, not sell as many bags as possible(but I'm sure they like selling a lot). The companies selling bags at $150-$220 are not as sexy to brick and mortar stores when they only make $30-40 on a $200 bag.

Now this bag isn't available to resellers yet because the bag is so new. But as someone who stocks disc golf shelf's for a living, I welcome a model more like Grips.

Last edited:
I don't think that comparing DG backpacks to day packs, school back packs, or anything else is really fair. DG puts a completely different amount of stress on a bag then anything else, that requires a pretty absurd amount of tolerance in the materials if it is going to hold up for very long.

Yeah, it's not like middle and high school kids cram every nook and cranny of their bags to overflowing with 40 lbs of textbooks plus laptops, tablets, binders, writing implements, etc., and tote them around to and from school, to class, to the library, five days a week, 30 weeks a year. :doh: