• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Bag company LBBAGS

Two months in with my Rufus and it's a total dream.

Way more carrying capacity than I anticipated. I'm usually carrying 20 discs, though it can take 25 pretty comfortably and I can't imagine ever needing more. Still has room for two water bottles and a rain jacket etc. with 25.

@wolfhaley Mine's a replacement for my Shift as well. The Shift is a tad more comfortable with the vertical weight distribution but the Rufus is so much more stable and the mesh pockets were wearing away after only a year of use. Plus I don't like to think too much about where I'm shoving my discs after a shank.

Way more carrying capacity than I anticipated. I'm usually carrying 20 discs, though it can take 25 pretty comfortably and I can't imagine ever needing more. Still has room for two water bottles and a rain jacket etc. with 25.

@wolfhaley Mine's a replacement for my Shift as well. The Shift is a tad more comfortable with the vertical weight distribution but the Rufus is so much more stable and the mesh pockets were wearing away after only a year of use. Plus I don't like to think too much about where I'm shoving my discs after a shank.

This is great to hear, and Hyoomac's response. Those mesh side pocket things are pretty terrible. I only used that bag a few times tbh. Granted they were winter rounds mostly, at first. This year It was 62 courses split between the SE in March and Colorado in the fall. The mountain courses ate that material alive. Fast too. I have a big ass Grip bag but the left shoulder strap is frayed and going to be useless in no time. I can't, or more precisely, don't pick up my bag with my throwing arm.

My Octo is showing no signs of wear after a full year of usage. I'll support quality over anything now. Pound offers that.

I have a 4 year old Rebel that I loved, and as it began to show it's age after a few years, I purchased a Shift. My purpose for the Shift was to downsize my carry a bit. I returned it (for a full, no questions asked refund), mostly because of those mesh pockets. I was pretty sure they'd get stretched out and worn out over time, because I knew I would be slipping more than one disc in each of them. Happy with my decision.

The Rebel has taken up permanent residence in my Zuca Backpack LG, where it will last for as long as I own the cart. I loved UP's quality and the design of the Rebel, but I just think the Shift missed the mark - for me.

This was several years ago, back when the Rufus was just a rumor. I bought a Carolina Team bag with quads. It is built like a tank, and I used it for part of a season. But with the initial launch of the Rufus, I was in, and done.

I'm a few days shy of a year with my Rufus. Unlike others, I never really push the carrying capacity. I'd personally not want to go above 3 in the top and 12 in the main. One side is permanently folded down for water and snacks. The other side is always a retriever, a range finder, and some towels (or a discarded hoodie/vest once I'm warmed up).

Overall? I love it. I did have to add some clips to get my tags to carry in a convenient spot on front. And my retriever sticks out of the top a touch. But those are minor. It is super comfortable. Plenty sturdy on the ground. And feels like a well built tank. The putter pouch is very easy to work with. I love that I can replace the straps if they ever wear out.

I did run a shift for a year. The mesh pockets were very sturdy and never showed wear in my experience. I ultimately was unhappy with the weird central storage and the water weight pulling me down. Also the waist strap and pockets just got in my way, with no easy way to remove them. And the straps are not replaceable.

I ordered a Rufus tonight. Got the Maroon and Navy and Tan colorway. Double convertible pockets finally sold me. Adding to the collection (Carlton and 2 Octos (plus the Mahal)). I might have a bag collecting problem...

I ordered a Rufus tonight. Got the Maroon and Navy and Tan colorway. Double convertible pockets finally sold me. Adding to the collection (Carlton and 2 Octos (plus the Mahal)). I might have a bag collecting problem...

I caved and ordered a custom one. Talked Alyssa into one shortly after. Custom colors of course. Can't wait for these to get here. I got the Octo, a big Grip whatever, Shift, DD Commander, Innova something with phenix quads, a man purse type bag for glow and a Zuca.

Currently looking at the Rufus. For those of you that also use (or used to use) carts, how often do you use your Rufus? Is the deluxe version or double convertible version worth the extra cost? Is the rainfly any good?

@Brockness Monster - I have the "original" Rufus, so I can't judge the value of the changes that have been made. I like the small additional zipper pockets, but that's the only new feature that makes a difference to me. I don't think I'd unzip both sides, because I use one side for storing items and stashing layers.

I probably lean toward the Rufus (and away from the cart) a little more as time goes by. Especially when I'm playing wooded and/or hilly courses, where the cart becomes a bit more trouble than it's worth.

The cart is still there for flat and wide open courses, for long bagging days, and to have a seat during tournament rounds. But in almost all other cases, I just carry my Rufus.

Last edited:
Currently looking at the Rufus. For those of you that also use (or used to use) carts, how often do you use your Rufus? Is the deluxe version or double convertible version worth the extra cost? Is the rainfly any good?
I don't use carts.

I like having the extra pocket with the deluxe version but unless you're a big patches guy it's probably not worth the upsell.

I don't have the double convertible version, and tbh I don't think I miss it. I generally want one pocket open for water and one pocket closed for jacket/supplies. I think the long sleeve on the normal pocket side is better for umbrella/retriever storage.

The rainfly is perfectly functional and easy to use.

After having the Rufus for a few months I got rid of all my other bags. It just was that much better.

I kept my compact Zuca, but only for slow tournament play on cart friendly courses. And I think I only have used it once this year.

I have the original Rufus design. I don't think I'd fold down both sides even if I could. Retriever and layers go in the tall pocket.

The Rufus costs more than most backpacks, but it's been money well spent for me.

I went for the double convertible option since I exclusively pick up my bag with my non throwing hand (left). My preference is to keep my beverages on that side such that they are not swinging around.

I went for the double convertible option since I exclusively pick up my bag with my non throwing hand (left). My preference is to keep my beverages on that side such that they are not swinging around.
Good point. That definitely has been a (minor) irritant for me.

This is great to hear, and Hyoomac's response. Those mesh side pocket things are pretty terrible. I only used that bag a few times tbh. Granted they were winter rounds mostly, at first. This year It was 62 courses split between the SE in March and Colorado in the fall. The mountain courses ate that material alive. Fast too. I have a big ass Grip bag but the left shoulder strap is frayed and going to be useless in no time. I can't, or more precisely, don't pick up my bag with my throwing arm.

My Octo is showing no signs of wear after a full year of usage. I'll support quality over anything now. Pound offers that.
I have mesh on a cheaper bag the Athletico now $35--$40 one I got for $30 due to being very first buyer on Amazon and my review is saying if price was up to $10 more for bag it is worth it however, $15--$20 or $45--$50 no at the time when those came out. Currently I am using attached with a seat off an old Fishing Vortex backpack where zippers in main pouch of Vortex (oop and now expensive when on used market for just seat and dead backpack) died trying to use as a disc golf bag, and mesh in upper part of bottle holder (think original Innova backpacks mid 2010's) is not good and getting ruined as I play in South Dakota due to some stiff tall prairie grasses, Russian Olive tree, and rarer native Honey Locust. Luckly I only use one of the pouches for water as I use a soft stroller bottle holder and put a claw grabber in other side.

I have mesh on a cheaper bag the Athletico now $35--$40 one I got for $30 due to being very first buyer on Amazon and my review is saying if price was up to $10 more for bag it is worth it however, $15--$20 or $45--$50 no at the time when those came out. Currently I am using attached with a seat off an old Fishing Vortex backpack where zippers in main pouch of Vortex (oop and now expensive when on used market for just seat and dead backpack) died trying to use as a disc golf bag, and mesh in upper part of bottle holder (think original Innova backpacks mid 2010's) is not good and getting ruined as I play in South Dakota due to some stiff tall prairie grasses, Russian Olive tree, and rarer native Honey Locust. Luckly I only use one of the pouches for water as I use a soft stroller bottle holder and put a claw grabber in other side.

Glad you're back Casey (y)

That mesh on the side pockets got eaten up pretty good by just playing for a week in CO. South Dakota has to be pretty unforgiving on that type of material too, just based on the few courses I've played over there. The rocky terrain is what really did it for my bag. That prairie grass would be a problem for sure.

I caved and ordered a custom one. Talked Alyssa into one shortly after. Custom colors of course. Can't wait for these to get here. I got the Octo, a big Grip whatever, Shift, DD Commander, Innova something with phenix quads, a man purse type bag for glow and a Zuca.
Innova Tournament bag and Innova Tank were the two big ones with a smaller one up to 20--25 discs called Adventurer now name taken by current smallest two strap backpack Innova makes an 18--23 disc bag.

However, some Disc Golf player sent in a bag of some brand Innova and/or Dynamic Disc before all quad style died out to have a quad style bag currenly model is sold only on Amazon. Some also only sold on Amazon clone models of good clones are more a low slung backpack as straps are not removable on those clones of the few good clone models. Who did this send in is no clue, but my guess is a person who physically can't use a disc golf backpack of any kind sent in a new bag with straps and is an older player over 55-60 possibly over 70 and uses internet, where due to injury, even surgery would not help his issue who can't use a cart due to how rugged or wooded local course is.

Glad you're back Casey (y)

That mesh on the side pockets got eaten up pretty good by just playing for a week in CO. South Dakota has to be pretty unforgiving on that type of material too, just based on the few courses I've played over there. The rocky terrain is what really did it for my bag. That prairie grass would be a problem for sure.
What were courses? Black Hills/Rapid City As well as Badlands are way different then rest of South Dakota. Also, Angastora is preserved last of true native prairie in South Dakota without any invasive species except a few portions of Ft Pierre (Pier) National grasslands.

I do feel almost anywhere in world mesh is bad for disc golf as you have woods/scrub area, rugged terrain or tall grasses.

What were courses? Black Hills/Rapid City As well as Badlands are way different then rest of South Dakota. Also, Angastora is preserved last of true native prairie in South Dakota without any invasive species except a few portions of Ft Pierre (Pier) National grasslands.

I do feel almost anywhere in world mesh is bad for disc golf as you have woods/scrub area, rugged terrain or tall grasses.

I think I've played 17 courses or so in SD. The rockier ones would be Spearfish and Tuthill, so yeah, Rapid City area mostly. I've been through SD a few times now, though most I've played are towards the eastern part of the state.

Agreed though on the mesh. It's just not ideal on a disc golf bag, regardless of where you're at. The rest of that bag is in fantastic shape still. The mesh is done for though. I still have an old Innova Tournament (I think) bag with the Phenix Quads on it. That thing is still going strong after hundreds of rounds.

I haven't touched my zuca or grip bag since I got my Rufus. I thought I would just use it for casual rounds but it became my tournament bag as well. If double convertible was an option when I bought mine I probably would have gone with that.