• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Bag company LBBAGS

I honestly don't understand the bag tipping over stuff...for most any bag. If you set it down like a normal person, it won't tip over.

I agree, but being the only recurring negative feedback I saw on the bag I wanted to ask the community if it was more operator-error vs. a design flaw. Just want to be confident with my $300+ when I can find one in stock and pull the trigger.

I tend to almost always set my Octohaul on my stool, unless I'm sitting on it myself. It has fallen off a few times, but usually only when I'm not paying attention to how I set it down. On level ground it's no issue, and if I take 3 seconds to pay attention to what I'm doing it's no issue.
5fec1be5c02d2c544ab082a9b2a15330.jpg

On the subject of the Octo tipping over:

Yes it's an issue, especially when you play a lot of hilly courses. I frequently find myself standing on a lie with no flat surface within 30'. (Bear in mind that my home course is Diamond X, and I also enjoy playing a lot of mountainous courses here in Montana.) On flat ground you shouldn't have much of a problem, so I understand how it can sound silly.

When setting the pack down on a sloped surface, you can angle it so that the long side of the base is going uphill-to-downhill. For even more severe slopes, your best shot is to just lay the pack down on its back. (However, that also means that if it's muddy out, the mud gets on your back.) So you can manage the problem, but it is something extra to think about that I never had to worry about when I was using the old Fade tourney bag.

As a side conversation:
There are 2 design factors that make the Octo tip over easily. First, the base is pretty narrow in the front-to-back direction, which holds the main compartment discs tight to your back. Earlier in the thread there's a picture of the Octo in profile next to a Disc Mahal, and you can see that the Octo is noticeably narrower. 2nd thing is that the hydration sleeve is high and tight to your back. That's a very ergonomic place to carry the water weight, but it also raises the center of mass of the pack.

These factors that make the bag tip over easily (narrow base, high center of mass) are also the reason that the Octo is so easy to carry. Anyone who knows much about backpacking will tell you that proper weight distribution inside your pack can reduce a lot of unnecessary strain on your body. In that sense, the tippy-ness of the Octo isn't a mistake/flaw, but rather it's a design compromise. Lack of stability on sloped surfaces is a trade-off that makes the pack more comfortable.

Agreed.

I'll just add, my friend, that you and I just played Four Mound and Farragut together (that shizz was fun). All manner of hilly lies between them, and my octo didn't tip over a once. Nor did I see Teddy's, Brent's, Kyle's, or yours tip over. That I saw.

Like I said, it's a manageable issue.

Farragut isn't all that hilly. (Four Mound certainly is.)
Come play Diamond X. If nothing else, my friend Matt will kick your bag over ;)

How is the Octothorp when it is not full? let's say only 18 discs? Does it hold its shape?

Yes. I routinely use it for rounds where I leave several discs behind. But I don't like discs flopping around in the main too much, so I tend to keep 11 or so in there (plus my four putters up top), even when going light.
Less than that, I will just use an old school shoulder bag (Voodoo Juju for me).

I tend to keep 11 or so in there (plus my four putters up top), even when going light.

How many discs comfortably fit (with an average mix of drivers & mids) in the main compartment?

I routinely carry 5 Destroyers, 5 fairways, 2 Harps/Zones, and 5 Rocs in there comfortably. And four Wizards/Scales up top.
I can get one or two more in there without hassle as well.

I love my first gen., but would LOVE to have the newer 5-up-top option.

I routinely carry 5 Destroyers, 5 fairways, 2 Harps/Zones, and 5 Rocs in there comfortably. And four Wizards/Scales up top.

Similar results for me.

4 putters in top
5 midranges + 12 drivers in bottom
3 drivers + 2 putters in one side compartment

When I have my bag in a Zuca backpack cart, I can no longer fit the additional two putters on side compartment and then put them in putter pouch on pole.

Similar results for me.
Samesies.
4 putters up top
1 putter
6 mids
11 drivers
in the main

When I have my bag in a Zuca backpack cart, I can no longer fit the additional two putters on side compartment and then put them in putter pouch on pole.
How snug is the fit in the Zuca? Are you able to access the side storage pockets at all?

Samesies.
4 putters up top
1 putter
6 mids
11 drivers
in the main

How snug is the fit in the Zuca? Are you able to access the side storage pockets at all?
Mine is an older design with water bottle holder and small storage spot on one side and large storage on other. I am able to put 3 discs in large storage and also use small storage too. I added fenders to my cart to insure that that storage pockets don't rub on tires. The Octo is really easy to get in and out of cart.

Do you know about the free insert?
I hold 5 on top of my first gen thanks to the insert.

Do you know about the free insert?
I hold 5 on top of my first gen thanks to the insert.

I have the plastic insert in my KJ Haul and it's still quite a squeeze to get 5 up top. That's probably the only thing I would change about this bag- and Levi did, so I'll deal until I wear this one out in 20yrs or crack and buy a new color.

Latest posts