• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Bag Design

I would call around to some local sign shops, and see if they would be willing cut some plastic sheets to the size and spec you need. If you are nice, they might even tell you where to buy the stuff in bulk!

Tap plastics is where you'd go in sacramento. They have sheets of every kind of plastic from abs to frp and acrylic. They cut it free. You'll probably end up using abs cause they make it in so many different thicknesses.

I am working on my own bag, and like the directions you are going, I am definitely interested to see what you come up with.

For other projects I have done, sign shops actually will often give away scraps large enough for any piece you need.

I have thought about vertical storage on the sides (as mentioned here) but it makes any rain fly design more cumborsome to get in and out.

The water bottles on the front as pictured here visually is cool, but I am worried its moving more weight away from your body, which will make the bag feel heavier.

My hydration choice will likely be a blatter of some type, and then have a nylon strap/pocket for my thermos.

I have some ideas for your stash pocket. In previous bags I have put a D ring in the valuables pocket to clip my keys to (so they don't get mixed up with other stuff) and a velvet pocket stitched in for my phone so keys and other items are not scratching the screen, and it also keeps it easily accesses able.

Don't forget little things like a convenient mini pocket as well as pencil holders and a safe place for the score card. (The lack of mini pocket on my very early Gorilla boy bag bothers me a bit)

Are you using a 3D rendering tool to visualize the bag you want to create? I may mess around with a free app to see what crazy ideas I can come up with. Two free apps suggested to me are Blender and Google Sketchup.

Hobby stores that carry model trains may have the plastic you are looking for. Otherwise try Michaels or other craft stores.

I was actually thinking of this. Do you know when you buy a binder some of them come with a divider thats made of that black plastic material? Its stiff but has a touch of flexibility to it. I want to be able to by multiple sheets of that.

Try some thin gage HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) sheet, quite strong and very flexible in thinner sheets. Maybe 1/16" thick? Usually comes in 48" x 96" sheets or 48" x 120" if you have any Plastic distributors around your area. Otherwise maybe Amazon for smaller pieces.

ABS is nice but not nearly as strong, it can break with too much stress. ABS is better for vac-forming items in cars or desk organizers.

Thanks asc349! I might give them a call to see what I can come up with. The bag I'm designing has unfortunately been put on the back burner for a little bit. School, work, planning a wedding, and having just bought a house that needs work is keeping me quite busy. Plus I still try and get out and play once a week. I can't wait for this semester to end.

Just wondering if you've had a chance to get any further with this project? I've made few small shoulder bags over the past week to get some sewing practice under my belt, but eventually want to try a small DG backpack.