• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New California courses update thread

is this gonna serious legit for real tourneys? or just what the designer set as "course par"?

They're based upon pdga guidelines for par. Gold level will be mid 80s, blue level around low 90s.

12,962 total feet. Only one hole under 300ft. 8 holes over 500 ft, with one 1000 foot hole.

Mashnut / snappy / Lion - please do post info about the Pepperdine course after you go. I live at the north edge of Santa Monica right near the PCH, so the existence of this course is GREAT news for me.

Curious to see if disc golfers can get on to play easily, or if the security folks at the guardhouses will be an issue.

It's funny, I just drove past the campus 3-4 weeks ago, and I was thinking "Man, that huge expanse of grass out front of the school would make a sweet 9-holer..."

Lion and i played Pepperdine around 3am. We parked across the street at the park, and we just walked in. We played until a little after sunrise.

There were guards in the guard shacks but we didn't see anyone out on the course. I could see it being pretty east to walk in during the day, but you never know.

It took us a while, but we eventually found all nine baskets. Never saw any teepads, etc.
There were some good shots, and we had fun. We lit up the baskets with glow sticks and put LEDs on our discs. Probably not the best idea at 3am when you're on private property, but everything worked out. Not a destination course, but Lion and I made the most out of it.

We did get kicked out of a private course later in the morning. The first time Lion or I ever got the boot from a course.
We were playing an unlisted course at a private school up in the hills in the Ojai valley

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely go check it out next weekend. Hopefully the Pepperdine recreation folks will post a map on Facebook that has the tees listed.

Seems like even if there are guards in the guardhouses, you can just park off campus and walk onto the course area, at which point it seems unlikely they'd be stopping folks and asking for ID.

I contacted the people at The Brewing Lair in Blairsden, CA.
They confirmed the course is open (whenever the brewery is, 11-7 approx), free, 9 holes, can drink their beer while playing the course.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6251

I added it. It would be great for someone to play and review it, as I wont be able to get out there for a while.

My dad played it a couple weeks ago and liked it. Said navigation was a little tough though. He's not a DGCRer or else I'd have him review it, but for beer and DG it sounds like it's worth the trip.

OK I added the map for Malibu. There is another private course not to far from the brewing Lair that charges 5 dollars to play on a ranch. Short course, but if your in the area it might be worth it to stop by, but they need some heads up and prefer you email the day before or two. I believe its 5 dollars for the day and it also includes other activities on the ranch. Nice people.

Thanks for the Malibu map, Lion. Are those the official tees or the ones that you and snappy made up?

I'm definitely going to go check it out this weekend.

These aren't the official tees, but based on design and flow of where the baskets were placed it made most sense. We tried to find spots that looked like they had been used for tees and flow. A few spots I used were right next to large rocks that were used in landscape for design. For example holes 4,5, and 9 tee next to large rocks. Hole 10 has an artificial grass tee used commonly for ball golf practicing. Hole 1 tees from parking lot edge and has a trail leading to the basket. Holes 1 & 2 have elevation. All the baskets have blue bands. No hole has a number. University says there working on signs and tees but its very slow going and the project feels like its been on hold for awhile.

Thanks for the Malibu map, Lion. Are those the official tees or the ones that you and snappy made up?

I'm definitely going to go check it out this weekend.

From the Pepperdine FB page, when I asked about the course and getting a map:

"We're hoping it will be operational by the start of the school year, but we've hit a couple snags that have slowed momentum. When it's all set, we'll post the pdf map on the Campus Rec website."

Went and played the course at Pepperdine today. Amazing piece of land, scenery wise, and there are some really cool shots over the ponds. I showed up at 6:45 on a Sunday and there was a guard in the gatehouse, but I just told her I was going to play the disc golf course and she waved me through.

Will be interesting to see how they lay out the tees. Could make it an easy or very difficult course depending on length and the angles of approach to the water shots. Either way, the potential for tremendous safari golf is there!

I added a few photos to the course page. If anybody gets info on the planned tees/course flow, please post it here!

Any info on China Peak? I'll be in Fresno on the morning of July 3rd, and will be able to get up there and play it if it's open.

Yes, China Peak is being installed as we speak. They hope to open next weekend (July 6/7th). 27 holes of beautiful mountain golf.

We did get kicked out of a private course later in the morning. The first time Lion or I ever got the boot from a course.
We were playing an unlisted course at a private school up in the hills in the Ojai valley

i just played there when i went up to Coyote Point. i called the number and the woman said she'd make an exception to the rule to let me come in and play but that i had to stop by the office to check in. walked around and couldn't find the office. it took me less time to just play through the 9 holes than i spent walking around looking for the office!

guess i was lucky nobody was around. i didn't see a single person.

Anybody heard and kind of news/updates about Gibson ranch?
I haven't been able to find anything out since I last posted.

We got a local ski resort(no name until next spring) to put a course in next springs budget. According to Getty( nor cal course designer) it has potential to be Tahoes best course. I will update as info changes. I'm very excited about this and the main person in charge at this resort is all for it.

I just saw 3 baskets from Highlands View Road just off 267. Is that the one?

Latest posts