• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Course! West Fork DGC, Highlands Ranch, CO

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
Anyone on this forum played West Fork yet? It opened early last week. This course was basically built to replace one that closed over a year ago.

West Fork is built in a thicket that winds around a creek. The course isn't overly long, but its hilly. This is NOT a course for the faint of heart. The terrain is rough, and even if you stick to the fairway you'll encounter yucca and cactus.

Personally, I didn't find the course to be overly long or hard. You can see all the baskets from the tee, and there aren't really any obstacles to shoot over or around. For me it was almost disappointingly short. Out of 18 holes, I was only able to do a full distance driver rip on 2 of them. Almost every hole for me was a Roc3 throw. This course will test your midrange accuracy on almost every hole. Lots of stuff 250-340', with elevation change. I don't think there are any flat holes on the entire course.

The holes aren't long at West Fork, but they do very much force you to throw accurately. You miss too far right or left and your disc is going to enter an impenetrable mess of bushes, willows, and other various unpleasantness. I kept my shots straight and didn't lose any discs, or even go off the fairway with anything.

Overall, I liked this course. The signage is good, and anyone new to the course will be able to know where to go. The holes are a little short, but well designed. My only regret about the place is that there aren't a couple more long holes to rip drivers on. This is a good course to work on throwing mids off the tee. There is one "open bomber" hole, a straight 600' shot where you can actually unleash something big without worrying about losing it.

I thought it was definitely worth a stop to play. It's too far for me to want to play regularly, but I'm glad I bagged it.

Just watch out for skeletons. :)

Meh. Played it a week ago. Managed to stay out of the woods on hole eight so didn't get to look for body parts.

I didn't care much for it.

The half mile walk from home ones basket to hole twos tee pad seems excessive. I'd rather see the #2 tee somewhere near the #1 basket and maybe shoot across the creek or something.

Also, it was hot the day I played and there is almost no shade to be had.

Fortunately it's pretty far from my house so I wouldn't make a special trip down just to play the course.

Meh. Played it a week ago. Managed to stay out of the woods on hole eight so didn't get to look for body parts.

The half mile walk from home ones basket to hole twos tee pad seems excessive. I'd rather see the #2 tee somewhere near the #1 basket and maybe shoot across the creek or something.

Fortunately it's pretty far from my house so I wouldn't make a special trip down just to play the course.

Yeah I agree, it was HOT the day we played. I didn't care much for some of the distances between Basket and Tee either (2 was a bit much), but compromises have to be made on a multi-use park.

I thought it was nice to have a full 18 hole course in a sea of mediocre/poor 9's.

West Fork is fairly meh for me too. By virtue of its location, it is now my "home" course. Alas, I liked Lighthouse better.

I agree with you about the walk between 1 and 2. There's so much good land right there, they could have tucked hole 2 just beyond hole 1.

The course doesn't do much for me overall. It's too short. I find myself finessing mids or putters off the tee on almost every hole. There are maybe 4 legit distance driver rips on the whole course.

The first couple times I played the place it was brutally hot. I'll agree on that point too. Very open, I felt like I was baking.

There are a couple nice holes there, but overall I feel like the design is a little vanilla. I would have made several of the holes longer/harder or moved them entirely. With the land available I feel like they could have made a better course.

I really enjoy this course. Although it isn't very long, they did an excellent job designing the course with the terrain available. It has a ravine throughout, water, shrubs, hills, trees. The best holes are #8 thru #14.
I think it is fun to have a course now and then that you can look to score multiple birdies and post a low score. The area badly needed a decent course as all the rest in the area are 9 holes around schools.
They put up quality signs, tees and unique benches. Get out and have fun with West Fork.

The area badly needed a decent course as all the rest in the area are 9 holes around schools.

Agreed. I bagged as many of the school courses as I could in the area, and West Fork was a nice change. It may not be an 'ideal' course, but it shines brighter in this area than others.

I really enjoy this course. Although it isn't very long, they did an excellent job designing the course with the terrain available. It has a ravine throughout, water, shrubs, hills, trees. The best holes are #8 thru #14.
I think it is fun to have a course now and then that you can look to score multiple birdies and post a low score. The area badly needed a decent course as all the rest in the area are 9 holes around schools.
They put up quality signs, tees and unique benches. Get out and have fun with West Fork.

I think hole 7 is my favorite on the course. It requires an almost pinpoint accurate 400' drive slightly downhill. Go left and you're OB across the path. Go right and you're in the bushes.

I also like 15, 16, and 17. All are somewhat long and require precision and length.

Most of the holes are too easy. So many "gimme" birdies out there. You end up throwing the same putter or mid shot repeatedly.

The course is acceptable, and I will continue to play there. However, it's a lot shorter than I was expecting.

I also like 15, 16, and 17.

I will admit I like hole 15.

While it isn't a spectacularly difficult hole I always enjoy throwing downhill and having the bushes just right of the basket and the creek long make it sort of fun.

Obviously a well made course. Not a great place for a course. And not a great course.

The same can be said for Coal Creek. Well made. Not a great course.

Will there ever be another great front range course?

Edit: 1. Adams 2. Birds Nest in the morning before the wind picks up 3. Fehringer 4. Paco

Last edited:
Obviously a well made course. Not a great place for a course. And not a great course.

The same can be said for Coal Creek. Well made. Not a great course.

Will there ever be another great front range course?

Edit: 1. Adams 2. Birds Nest in the morning before the wind picks up 3. Fehringer 4. Paco

Adams is #1 along the front range in your mind?