• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New dad's bag

Alexplz

Double Eagle Member
Hey there, I've been playing for about two or three years and I feel like I'm close to having my bag figured out. I have definitely plateaued after breaking through the first couple barriers of learning to play. I'm in a place now where I'm conscious about the shortcomings of my game but don't play enough or with the consistency to push through and get over the hurdles to throwing far and with accuracy. I'm very comfortable throwing mids and putters; I think I could throw a beat Roc close to 300 ft. I'm having some nose angle and timing issues and rely on the massive glide of the Tern for distance. I don't think I could throw my distance drivers much further than 350, but keep in mind it's been a while since I really measured all this, talk about Internet distance.

My putting is mediocre and very intuitive right now, I just do a spush putt that works decently. I do own a practice basket and about 8 judges so I have everything I need to improve this portion of my game.

The void I feel the most at this point is the lack of a disc to throw for max D into a headwind. I have fast discs and stable, more heavy discs, but nothing with the particular combination of variables I think would be best to cut through the wind.

Here's my bag:

Putt:
Prime Judge 175g

Approach:
SS Magic 170g
S Wizard 174g
-I am considering replacing the Wizard with a premium Judge for driving, I'll have to compare them head to head sometime soon.

Mid:
X Comet 176g
Z Comet 180g
Z Buzzz 180g
Z Buzzz OS 180g
-I have waffled between a Buzzz setup like this and a Roc setup for a while. The advantage with the buzzzes aside from the usual list of pros and cons is that they are comfortable to throw forehand. With the Rocs I'll also pack a zone for short forehand.

Fairway:
DX Leopard 170g
Gstar Leopard 170g
Star Teebird 167g
MF Teebird 173g
-I enjoy throwing fairways a lot but have found I don't pull them out much on my new local course. The MF Teebird is a disc I could throw into a headwind but I feel like more speed would be helpful for distance.

Distance:
162g Star Mamba
167g Star Tern
167g JL Tern
-Ah, 6 glide. I fell in love with the Tern my first throw with my JL champ. I picked up the star Tern which I understood to be the most understable version soon thereafter. The star gives me a controlled early turn and the forward fade of a DX Teebird. I wanted a disc that would go far and right and the Mamba does this. Really not an instant roller like you might think.

Utility:
Star Wraith 167g
Champ FAF Firebird 170g
-I use the star Wraith for forehand distance and the FB for utility overstable stuff like thumbers and forehand rollers.

So that's my bag as it stands. What would be a good option for a disc for headwind distance? I'm thinking a faster disc than I can legitimately get up to speed on the calm, at max weight, and a mold/plastic that won't turn and burn but also isn't crazy overstable. Additionally, is lower glide helpful for into the wind distance? I have a Z force but it seems kind of intense, probably too overstable and fast even into the wind.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Maybe use the Star Wraith as your headwind driver? Assuming you haven't already tried that.

Nice bag btw :thmbup:

Maybe use the Star Wraith as your headwind driver? Assuming you haven't already tried that.

Nice bag btw :thmbup:
If I were going to pick up one additional disc to cover headwind shots I'm thinking it would nice if it were more than a one trick pony. Maybe I could grab a heavier champ Wraith that would bookend next to my Wraith for when I want to throw a more stable forehand distance shot but don't want to go full FAF-firebird retard? I understand most champ wraiths are domey though. Is this the case or are flat ones easy to find?

I'm starting to think a max weight champ Tern might be good too.

Well, I had suggestions, but then I read "retard".
You're on your own.

I don't have a big arm by any means, but I get a little worried when you say you can get a Roc to 300 and a Tern to 350. Have you tried speed 9 drivers? If so, what kind of distance? You may want to try a Thunderbird as a headwind driver and a Valkyrie as main control driver. Everything else looks pretty honed in. If you really like the Judge, definitely get a premium for driving and see how it compares to the Wizard. Also may want to consider beating a Judge into the Magic slot, I'm guessing you use it for US approaches and upshots. A lot of people love having the same hand feel especially in their short game.

Well, I had suggestions, but then I read "retard".
You're on your own.
Well, tell you what, I apologize. I'd edit it out if I could. It was a reference to a corny movie and in bad taste. That word bugs me too, not sure what got into me.

I don't have a big arm by any means, but I get a little worried when you say you can get a Roc to 300 and a Tern to 350. Have you tried speed 9 drivers? If so, what kind of distance? You may want to try a Thunderbird as a headwind driver and a Valkyrie as main control driver. Everything else looks pretty honed in. If you really like the Judge, definitely get a premium for driving and see how it compares to the Wizard. Also may want to consider beating a Judge into the Magic slot, I'm guessing you use it for US approaches and upshots. A lot of people love having the same hand feel especially in their short game.
Yeah ya know I actually have a champ and pro valk. I just feel like a Tern goes farther with less effort without sacrificing a lot of accuracy. I definitely appreciate the suggestion and I've gone back and forth between building a bag around an appropriate arm speed vs one with cheater discs like the Tern.

I actually have a beat star Starfire that I found, a lot less stable than I expected.

I know how you feel, I throw a blizz krait for max d. It just seems by your distances that you have the potential for more distance with the right disc.

Update: picked up a max weight, flat champ Tern today. Not particularly windy out today but I think it will cut through a headwind nicely without flipping.

If it hits hurricane force winds, my old trusty FAF FB will be a great standby, or my MF Teebird.

Latest posts