• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Disc Browser!

Sweet feature! I had no idea that so many people used the disc tracker! I hope to be able to hit up some trades with this addition.

Any chance you could at least change those to "*" and "." (or "?") respectively? That way they're at least closer to what the geeks will expect.

The site will now translate * to % and ? to _ for the model so you can use whichever one you'd like.

Bagged means the disc is currently in someones bag. Loose means it's currently not being used (ie. being stored in the garage).

Bagged/Loose are my made up terms.. they're not official DG terms.

Whoops! Spoke too soon! 689 Aviars +19 more that were entered as "Avairs."

Speaking of misspellings... The "random" name allowance is kinda fun though...

How many different "Buzzz" variations are there? Search for "buz%".

You find one "Buzzzzz" (in Champion plastic).
A Pro-D "Buzzzz".
There's an FLX "Buz".
Easily over 100 "Buzz".
A "Buzz FLX .5"
"Buzz Stripes" ??
"Buzzz-D"
"Buzzz (Modified Wasp)"

and on and on...

Whoops! Spoke too soon! 689 Aviars +19 more that were entered as "Avairs."

This is a very fun way to waste time!

Ive been browsing since he put it up, its really addicting ...

I think this makes using this site to trade so much easier and using other sites not really neccessary anymore :)

577 Wraiths owned by DGCR members...even more than Rocs! :eek:
Gotta do the right search.

"*roc*" returns: "869 Discs Found"

But there's some other stuff in there like "Rock-it" and "Rocket X2". But there are four Innova "Rocks". Am I missing any other non-Roc discs in "*roc*"?

But there's some other stuff in there like "Rock-it" and "Rocket X2". But there are four Innova "Rocks". Am I missing any other non-Roc discs in "*roc*"?

IROCZ-3.jpg

:D

That better be "Loose" and not "Bagged"!

Nice work Tim, this site is turning out to be incredible and you're just getting started! Awesome.

Some ideas, if I may... I've often wanted the ability to mark my discs as "Driver", "Mid", "Putter".. so that when I'm looking at my collection I can filter and sort based on disc type. This may be useful for traders too, but mainly I'd like it for taking stock in my bags and more importantly building new bags (show mid-range discs that are loose, choose, etc.) To take it one step further, the ability to specify a discs stability (and maybe even speed) would allow cool filtering for viewing a collection. Example, show all the understable fairway drivers, overstable mids, etc.

So, not only would it be great to collect this info for display but you could theoretically build a table much like Marshall Streets flight chart that is personalized to the user's bag! I have a spreadsheet much like that which provides a great /view/ of a bags "balance". I'm of course talking about this excellent flight chart: http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/disc_golf_flightguide.html

I suggest adding "Distance driver", "Fairway driver", "Mid-Range", and "Putter" (also maybe "Touch/Approach") for disc type. Unless there are other/better suggestions.

Stability is a whole different list and very debatable (you need more than 3 to dial it in IMO) so I'll save that...

Again, killer job on this site!

-travis

Sorry Tim, I'm new and can't figure out the disc organizer. I found the link from your thread, but how do i access it from my dash? When i go to disc organizer i can only view mine. also i have been trying to list a disc in my bag as a "trade" disc, can't figure it out. plz help

The disc browser link is under "Members" in the main menu.

To list a disc as being available for trade you have to click the little pencil to edit your disc and you'll see a "For Trade" checkbox. From there it should be pretty easy to figure out.

Fantastic!! That was easy! Thanx for the help! I do alot with Discaroo, but I will do more here. I would quit Discaroo completely if you considered adding pictures. You know the saying "A picture says a Thousand words".
Thanx again Tim

Some ideas, if I may... I've often wanted the ability to mark my discs as "Driver", "Mid", "Putter".. so that when I'm looking at my collection I can filter and sort based on disc type. This may be useful for traders too, but mainly I'd like it for taking stock in my bags and more importantly building new bags (show mid-range discs that are loose, choose, etc.) To take it one step further, the ability to specify a discs stability (and maybe even speed) would allow cool filtering for viewing a collection. Example, show all the understable fairway drivers, overstable mids, etc.

So, not only would it be great to collect this info for display but you could theoretically build a table much like Marshall Streets flight chart that is personalized to the user's bag! I have a spreadsheet much like that which provides a great /view/ of a bags "balance". I'm of course talking about this excellent flight chart: http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/disc_golf_flightguide.html

I suggest adding "Distance driver", "Fairway driver", "Mid-Range", and "Putter" (also maybe "Touch/Approach") for disc type. Unless there are other/better suggestions.

Stability is a whole different list and very debatable (you need more than 3 to dial it in IMO) so I'll save that...

IF you went down this path then I think it'd be better to do what I listed in option #2 below:

I think either the organizer or the filter needs another improvement to compensate for the variability of different model names.

E.g. "TeeRex", "Tee-Rex", "Tee Rex", "TRex", etc.

Either (1) allow regular expressions in the search filter, or at a minimum wildcards (RE's would be better)
-or-
(2) make the disc models a site enforced standard with a drop-down menu list of choices like the manufacturers and plastics.

With that method each disc could have it's own associated properties (name, driver/mid/putter type, stability, speed, etc.) that would be consistent across all DGCR members.

Obviously filling in the database would be a chore at first, especially for older models of discs. To facilitate that maybe Tim could set it up, at least for a while, as open so that all members could edit it. I'd envision something like a Disc Organizer that belonged to the site (DGCR# 0) rather than any specific member. The organizer would contain one of every disc known. Heck it wouldn't have to contain anything to start. The users here could add the discs themselves. Obviously properties like color, weight, and condition wouldn't be applicable... and you'd need new properties like type (driver/mid/putter) and stability ratings. Perhaps you use the numbers from Joe's Flight Chart?

Anyway, just continuing the brainstorm there.

ERic

Then there is the question of how you would get the 15,000 existing discs into that system. That would have been easier to pull off earlier but with so many discs now many might be left in an uncategorized void.

Plus there is the constant maintenance of keeping disc models current and people requesting to add various special editions, etc.

Then there is the question of how you would get the 15,000 existing discs into that system. That would have been easier to pull off earlier but with so many discs now many might be left in an uncategorized void.

Every user would be responsible for choosing the correct disc from the new dropdown options for all the discs in their own organizer.

Plus there is the constant maintenance of keeping disc models current and people requesting to add various special editions, etc.

Perhaps the DGCR#0 organizer stays public for people to add new discs but not to change existing ones. We wouldn't want people later to say "Oh I think this disc is -1.5 HHS instead of -1.0 HHS".

Official variations like Firebird vs. FL and even more subtle variations like TeeRex vs. TeeRex and Eagle-L vs. Eagle-X would be officially supported. But things like first run Boss is more understable than subsequent release Boss would not. That sort of information would have to go in the individual disc's "Notes" field.

Again... just brain stormin' here.

Well what's to stop someone from entering TeeeRex into bag #0? Either way, a lot of moderation would have to be done.

It would be better to compile a list ahead of time and slowly add to it then to allow anyone to add any model at any time. What I would do (assuming I had a bunch of time) is to compile a list of models for each manufacturer. If you don't see the model you're looking for, there would be an "Add Model" button where you could enter a model to be added. I'd have a list in the admin area of suggested models and I could approve them at which point they'd be an active choice in the disc organizer.

It would be nice to do the same thing with plastic too. That way if I pick Innova discs I'll only see Innova models and Innova plastics. I still think keeping up with something like this and making sure it's accurate would be a lot of work. It would definitely be very cool once it was done though.

Well what's to stop someone from entering TeeeRex into bag #0? Either way, a lot of moderation would have to be done.

In the beginning it's open to everyone for edits. That's how it comes up to speed fast. If some idiot enters "TeeeRex" some other more intelligent member or member with better typing skills will fix it when they see it. Once Bag #0 is sufficiently seeded you can lock it down for moderation additions only.

I wonder if I could just write to Innova/Discraft/Gateway and they could provide me with an xls of all their models and plastics :)

Latest posts