• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Discraft video

maynes32

Par Member
Okay, so seriously? The new Discraft distance video has added a good 40-70 feet to my drive. Previously I'd max out around 260 or so, today I was even with the pin on a 640 hole in two, and threw even with the pin on a very slightly downhill 350 hole.

Basically the video is just "here's how you throw the hyzer flip, dummy", but it certainly teaches you that. :D

BLM

Okay, so seriously? The new Discraft distance video has added a good 40-70 feet to my drive. Previously I'd max out around 260 or so, today I was even with the pin on a 640 hole in two, and threw even with the pin on a very slightly downhill 350 hole.

Basically the video is just "here's how you throw the hyzer flip, dummy", but it certainly teaches you that. :D

BLM

Could you give me a link please.

Really good video IMO. I am a lot like the second guy, probably don't get enough turn in my hips. Pretty anxious to get out to the field and try this.

I watched this vid a few days ago and it has really improved my grip. The last player featured really helped me too as I have been throwing too upright myself as it turns out. I tried pulling lower and keeping my upper body over it and the amount of arm speed and snap I got was much improved. The other thing is the hips. I needed a good reminding that your body is always going to follow your hips. I remember from football and hockey being taught to keep your eyes on the opponents waist because whatever direction that goes they must go also. I'm disappointed in myself for not carrying that over to throwing rotation earlier.

I didnt realise it was new but I had just found it last Friday; and Sunday, there was a steady 10-15 mph headwind to where I threw my old way and only went 150' (dont laugh at me! lol) but then started their way and was getting 200-210 with a high of 240'.

I cant wait to get out there without that damned headwind and see how it goes.

Last edited:
I didnt realise it was new but I had just found it last Friday; and Sunday, there was a steady 10-15 mph headwind to where I threw my old way and only went 150' (dont laugh at me! lol) but then started their way and was getting 200-210 with a high of 240'.

I cant wait to get out there without that damned headwind and see how it goes.

I won't laugh at you. I'm sick of the idiots on here who all seem to bomb their drives 400-500'. I'm sure that some of them aren't lying, but I'm also sure that some of them are.

What pisses me off to no end is the several holes at my home course that are only 200' and I cannot get the damn disc to the basket...they are uphill woods to open shots that for some reason play waaaay damn longer than they look.

Like this one, 243':
d72b4452.jpg

I won't laugh at you. I'm sick of the idiots on here who all seem to bomb their drives 400-500'. I'm sure that some of them aren't lying, but I'm also sure that some of them are.

Agree. Out on the course, I watch a lot of the other players driving. You can tell the better players, but not many seem to able to drive farther than me. Infact, it looks as though most, on the wide open holes don't even match me in distance. That being said, my longest shots on flat ground have been measured to 330-350', and that's only recently with the tons of practice that I've been doing. My regular distance, or consistant distance is still around 300'. I don't know where all these bombers are. I'd love to see someone throw 400-500'. I think there's a lot of guesstimating going on. I could be wrong though, it wouldn't be the first time

Also, at first I was of the opinion that distance didn't really matter. It was about the technical game and the close game. After adding 30-40' to my drives, with accuracy, my overall game has gotten better and my scores lower.

Its not that big of a deal if you can throw that far. I can throw over 400ft consistently and I also consistently get dominated in tournaments by people who can barely throw 300ft.

The best way I measure is at a football field I throw from one goal post to the next (360ft) then I just walk off the rest of the distance and add it to 360ft.

I usually just find myself trying to throw through the uprights though.

Its all I have since no courses within 10mins of driving and no one to throw with.

Also, at first I was of the opinion that distance didn't really matter. It was about the technical game and the close game. After adding 30-40' to my drives, with accuracy, my overall game has gotten better and my scores lower.

Agreed on this - I felt the same way. However, if your distance isn't great, as mine wasn't/isn't, it's MUCH easier to add 20'-30' to your comfortable driving distance than to your comfortable putting distance, which results in more birdie tries, as long as you are maintaining accuracy. My accuracy with the hyzer flip drive is not appreciably different than for regular shots, and may even be slightly better. I shot my record low on HMM last night - a 56! The interesting thing about it was that I didn't actually have that many birdies - I just had more easy pars.

Its not that big of a deal if you can throw that far. I can throw over 400ft consistently and I also consistently get dominated in tournaments by people who can barely throw 300ft.

The best way I measure is at a football field I throw from one goal post to the next (360ft) then I just walk off the rest of the distance and add it to 360ft.

I usually just find myself trying to throw through the uprights though.

Its all I have since no courses within 10mins of driving and no one to throw with.

Thats what I have been using is the high shcool practice field; althought its getting to where Im not going to be able to.

just remember it is not 100 yards goal post to goal post. It is 100 yards goal line to goal line, then 10 yards for each endzone; so goalpost to goalpost is actually 120 yards, or 360'

Is there a good forehand video?

There is a forehand video, but it's pretty basic. Here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOECjLjhiTI

Speaking of distance, I don't think you're gonna see someone randomly on the course that can throw 350+. If you want to see that, go to a tourney and just watch the long drive comp. The only people i've ever seen drive past 400' were 2 guys that could drive 450'. But i've seen them play long, wide open holes, and neither of them will try a 450' drive, even when it might help them loose a stroke, because they both know that it's just not that accurate.

Agreed on this - I felt the same way. However, if your distance isn't great, as mine wasn't/isn't, it's MUCH easier to add 20'-30' to your comfortable driving distance than to your comfortable putting distance, which results in more birdie tries, as long as you are maintaining accuracy. My accuracy with the hyzer flip drive is not appreciably different than for regular shots, and may even be slightly better. I shot my record low on HMM last night - a 56! The interesting thing about it was that I didn't actually have that many birdies - I just had more easy pars.

My distance wasn't good either. I was at 265 with the occasional 285-290. I asked questions and watched videos, before I knew it I had figured out part of my problem(My grip and follow through), and gained quite a bit of distance while using the same amount of effort. However, I just got back from the fields and tried out the tips from this video, and now my shoulder hurts and my distance shortened up some. It was windy, so maybe that had something to do with it. Since I've lengthened my drives, I've gone from shooting +6 to +2 regularly. If my short game can overcome the anxiety of missing the 20' and shorter putts(mental crap), I think I'll be able to shoot under par.

What pisses me off to no end is the several holes at my home course that are only 200' and I cannot get the damn disc to the basket...they are uphill woods to open shots that for some reason play waaaay damn longer than they look.

I have the same problem, it is very aggrevating.

I thought about all those posters when I saw this video. How come Discraft's long drive instructor only throws 350-400, when there are 15 or 20 anonymous posters at dgcoursereview who through 450-500? Why didn't Discraft film those guys teaching their distance instructor how to throw? Why don't those posters film themselves throwing at marked distance signs like Discraft does? We'd all love to watch it on youtube.

Latest posts