• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Discs

StokedNBroke

Bogey Member
Hey y'all---

I'm two months into a lifelong hobby. I am just as of late trying out Discraft molds because I live in Michigan & why not buy local?

I picked up these two discs today. I can already say I think the Buzzz is going to be a favorite. I have a couple of questions & I believe this belongs here & of not; please do forgive.

1. The first few RHBH throws of the Comet left my hand wobbly...why?

2. Why are these seemingly bigger (diameter?) than other discs?

3. I'm LEARNING to throw a forehand & have had more luck with Fairways...why do forehand shots of mine with slower range discs (mid) wobble on release? Am I doing it wrong? Can I actually achieve a 200ft forehand with a Buzzz (for example)?

---Thanks Folks---
c7d14287044e55041c25a39d54756b5f.jpg

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Midranges are larger diameter and up to 5g heavier than drivers or putters. The larger diameter will give you more glide potential.

Hey y'all---

I'm two months into a lifelong hobby. I am just as of late trying out Discraft molds because I live in Michigan & why not buy local?

Exactly...why not? Buying local supports your local stores and lets you see/handle discs before you buy them.

I picked up these two discs today. I can already say I think the Buzzz is going to be a favorite. I have a couple of questions & I believe this belongs here & of not; please do forgive.

The Buzzz is amazing. I really enjoyed it, but the DGA Rift has taken it's place. I'm primarily RHFH and the Rift is a flatter top, so it feels better in my hand for forehand throws.

1. The first few RHBH throws of the Comet left my hand wobbly...why?

2. Why are these seemingly bigger (diameter?) than other discs?

3. I'm LEARNING to throw a forehand & have had more luck with Fairways...why do forehand shots of mine with slower range discs (mid) wobble on release? Am I doing it wrong? Can I actually achieve a 200ft forehand with a Buzzz (for example)?

Wobbly throws. The main reason I've heard/seen for wobbly flights are the discs not being thrown at the correct speed. A fairway driver might be 8 speed so you would throw it faster than a midrange (5 speed for example) to get it to fly the way it is designed. If you throw a 5 speed midrange the same speed as an 8 speed fairway, the midrange will flutter/wobble. So it is a matter of getting the right speed of flight.

Exactly...why not? Buying local supports your local stores and lets you see/handle discs before you buy them.

The Buzzz is amazing. I really enjoyed it, but the DGA Rift has taken it's place. I'm primarily RHFH and the Rift is a flatter top, so it feels better in my hand for forehand throws.

Wobbly throws. The main reason I've heard/seen for wobbly flights are the discs not being thrown at the correct speed. A fairway driver might be 8 speed so you would throw it faster than a midrange (5 speed for example) to get it to fly the way it is designed. If you throw a 5 speed midrange the same speed as an 8 speed fairway, the midrange will flutter/wobble. So it is a matter of getting the right speed of flight.
So I am throwing the mids too fast with a RHFH?

You might be. I haven't seen you throw (obviously), so I wouldn't know for sure. But I would start with that. That is usually my problem with forehand throws that wobble/flutter.

There might be other reasons your midranges flutter/wobble when your fairways don't. I just know that, for me, the main cause of disc wobble/flutter is incorrect speed for the disc.

Also, a new player...be aware the disc speed for a specific disc has no known relation to a measurable speed. For example, a 5 speed disc doesn't mean it has to be thrown at 45 MPH. Only the manufacturer knows what the speed equates to. But an 8 speed disc has to be thrown faster than a 5 speed disc. That's about all the numbers indicate.

I once thought, maybe it means an 8 speed disc has to be thrown 8 times faster than a 1 speed disc...but I was told that wasn't right either.

Bottom line is....you need to throw a disc a few times to see how fast you really need to throw it to get it to do what it is designed to do.

And yes, it is possible to throw a Buzzz 200 feet. Heck, Simon Lizotte threw a putter over 400 feet in a tournament - yes he's a pro, but it still shows what can be done.

Wobble occurs as a result of Off-axis Torque (OAT), meaning you are imparting force from a secondary direction in addition to the vector of release. This is also what people call "not throwing clean," and often occurs as a result of you flipping your wrist at release.

Slower discs and understable discs (like the two in your photo) magnify the error, but they are not the cause of the error. Those discs are actually great tools to learn to throw clean. Eventually you will likely want to add a fairway driver with more stability, but it really is best to do only after you've learned how to throw that Buzzz SS without wobble.

Your throws are wobbling because you're introducing off axis torque (usually written as OAT) into your throw. The reason drivers are flying cleaner for is because they are faster and more tolerant of the form flaws your mids are protesting. As a general rule, the faster a disc is, the more tolerant it will be of bad form. Now the caveat there is that stability makes a big difference also. Keep throwing the mids to work on your form. When it gets to be too much, torque your drivers for fun.

OP - this video really helped me get a clean release with my slower understable stuff.

https://youtu.be/5YkLtobx34o

If you ever find yourself in the rough on the left side of the fairway, and need to step out and throw a RHFH, and need it to finish left or straight with no fade, you'll be glad you've got that shot in your bag.

Latest posts