• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New DIY $25 Backpack Bag.

They had the one in the top right corner but it was still regular price. I travel around town all day so I might stop and pick up a couple more.

Was that 3/4 PVC?

This is my daughter's backpack for school. As soon as I bought it for her, I took it home and stuffed it full of discs to see how it would feel. :)

What I found is that I didn't like all that weight, even though it was distributed better across my shoulders. So, basically backpacks aren't for me. Plus, I actually want to start carrying like 5 discs total, so it's overkill.

BUT, for the rest of you...since I tested it out at home, I can fully vouch for the usefulness of this bag. Even without the PVC frame, it held discs well, and the two pockets are great for water bottles. The front "putter" pocket is also great. I can't speak of its durability...but for the price, you can't beat it. :thmbup:

They had the one in the top right corner but it was still regular price. I travel around town all day so I might stop and pick up a couple more.

Was that 3/4 PVC?

1/2" PVC, it was an 8' or 10' for $1.70 at Lowes. The little pieces ranged from $0.30ea to $0.70ea for the 3-way. I had about 3' left after making the frame.

------
I went back to Target today to grab a backup. This time I went to a different store. They had one of the black/pattern grey ones and a blue one. ** They also discounted the price to match the website when I asked !**

------
I put it through two rounds today, one was a safari round, its holding up well. I will probably put the plasti-dip on the bottom when I get around to it
-Trizzor

Last edited:
So I was at Target recently and spotted these in the back to school section.
They are $25 in store or $18 on the website (free shipping).
If you're on the website, make sure to purchase one with the "Handle" on the front pocket. Do a search for "Embark Backpack".

Anyway, I picked one up, cut and painted some PVC for it and the results are in the gallery below. I've not tried it yet, but the material feels similar to my Nike Bat Pack bag.

Additional Info:
2 Bottle holder side pockets
1 Front pocket for putters, holds 2-3.
1 Lap top sleeve that will hold a 4th putter (where I put my DX Dragon for water holes).
1 Pocket at the top, you can see my iPhone in it for scale, should fit phone+poncho fine. I'm using it for my Bluetooth Speaker.
2 Side elastic straps, you can see the carabiner hanging on mine, great for towels/bag tags/birdie beads.

I will update this thread when I have a chance to field test it.
Gallery:
http://imgur.com/a/q3Bkr#0

-Trizzor

I just bought the same one. They will price match online, so I got it for 18.45 tax included. I ran home and loaded up my entire Innova competition, plus other discs I'm waiting for the weather to cooperate with so I can try, and threw it on. Holy cow! It's awesome for $18! I don't have a frame in it yet, but maybe down the line.

14 drivers, 1 putter, and 4 mids are in the "main compartment". I just threw my putter and TWO of the new huge Prometheus discs in the laptop sleeve as you can see. This sucker is a beast for the price. Definitely recommend.

9842013835_9a4aa25d5c.jpg

Played a truncated round with mine today. I like it. It's not as wide or as heavy as my Innova Competition. The only big reason I'd put in a frame, would be to make it stand up nicer. It stood fine, but I could see where the structure of a frame would help it. I would have to recommend this bag, especially considering the price!

Looks like a pretty sweet set up, and an even better deal. Curious as to how well they hold up.

At about $20 a pop, you could buy 5 of them for a C-note and throw get rid of them as they wear out. Assuming you get a year or two out of them on the low side, that's still 5-10 years for about $100... I'm sure many have spent more than that going through more traditional bags.

Yep, that's them. It looks like there are 15 options.
Remember, you're looking for the ones with the "handle" in the front bottom pocket.

sAuaAVB.jpg

You want to search their site for Jartop Backpack... that's the style pictured above.

The Jarheads seem to be a subset of the Embark backpacks... there are several other "Embark" backpacks that look like they're completely different from those pictured above.

How can you go wrong for about $20 including tax ... assuming they'll match their online price in the store... or less on clearance!

' causes mass panic - everyone runs to neighborhood Target to buy backpacks on clearance. :thmbup:

Thanks for sharing Trizzor. :hfive:

You want to search their site for Jartop Backpack... that's the style pictured above.

The Jarheads seem to be a subset of the Embark backpacks... there are several other "Embark" backpacks that look like they're completely different from those pictured above.

How can you go wrong for about $20 including tax ... assuming they'll match their online price in the store... or less on clearance!

' causes mass panic - everyone runs to neighborhood Target to buy backpacks on clearance. :thmbup:

Thanks for sharing Trizzor. :hfive:

Correct. I saw some "Embark" bags on sale that looked like these, but didn't have the laptop sleeve and were shorter in terms of height. Those ones were on clearance. The couple of the Jartops I saw, were 24.99, but I just showed the cashier the online price of that one and he matched it.

Let's see. No Target near Cumberland. Bummer. But Ace Race today in Altoona... and Altoona has a Target. Hmmmm... Guess I know where I'm headed after the race when it starts to rain! :D

Ordered the "Steel Blue" (gray with orange handle). Free shipping today. Less than $21 shipped to me.

My paypal is getting tired of Disc Golf.

I just built the PVC frame for mine and I like it with the frame. Stands up much better. Total cost was less than $11.00 dollars for Bag and PVC. Not sure if I want to put my birdie bag in Top Cell phone/MP3 holder or down with the putter. Seems as durable as my Fade Crunch.

Mine was 17.50 and pvc was 10. Sounds like the home depot brutalized me.

Thanks for the heads up! Excited for the bag to arrive.

Mine now has lasted 5 rounds without a scratch, tear or snag. Even if I left the course today full of about 20 thorn scratches, its still in one piece.

On another note, it appears the sale is over. All the Jartop bags are now $24.99 as of this post, on the Target website.

In my opinion, still a great bag for $25!

Mine now has lasted 5 rounds without a scratch, tear or snag. Even if I left the course today full of about 20 thorn scratches, its still in one piece.

On another note, it appears the sale is over. All the Jartop bags are now $24.99 as of this post, on the Target website.

In my opinion, still a great bag for $25!

This thread put an end to the sale. They saw the spike in sales and were like... hey, we can bump this price back up! :p

Picked this up for $7.50 on clearance (Ontairo, Canada). Haven't played a round with it yet but I loaded it up and it holds my 15-17 discs nicely. Just put a pvc frame in the bottom only to keep the discs off the ground, will probably use the laptop pocket area for my putter, though the front pocket would work too, it also has a nice size mini holder in the front pocket. It actually looks like a nice disc golf bag, I like the top access for discs, much better then the other DIY bags.

Can't complain for $7.50 :) and I might pick up another for when this one falls apart (it's made of pretty thin material). And will need to dip/spray to bottom.