• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Drive Technique..less effort more distance!

kachtz

Birdie Member
taking what i learned from Jrawk :hfive:...i practiced a little bit today before i played, and started with no steps, to just 2 steps, and instead of a swooping run up throw, i was doing more of a pull through throw (more form correct)

i was basically facing backwards with my arm straight posistion pointing away from my target, taking 1 step and pulling the disc in a straight motion across my body during the 2nd step...i was able to throw low and accurate averaging 420-460, with so much less effort than my previous way of throwing. i feel like with the energy i was using to throw this far, i would of thrown around 350' with my other form. i was able to flip the destroyer over very easy, and the boss was holding its line from a flat release and going a little farther than the destroyer.

if anyone would like for me to post a video on this i wouldnt mind, its a great way to gain distance, while giving less effort, and being accurate (mainly because the setup is consistant) this is also a drive style that i believe can be used in the wooded courses.

i tried this same form on midrange discs as well as putters, and found that my form is not yet clean enough for these discs, as the disc comes out fluttering and diving to the right (mainly because i have not yet figured a good grip for these yet)...but for the drivers they come out very very clean, no visible sign of wobble.

ahh getting down with your inner beato. nice work. throwing like that will teach you how to shape lines, which is the most important thing to learn in this sport.:)

great vid. Any more like vid's like this would be greatly appreciated. (besides the standard discraft series which I've watched over and over.

A few weeks ago I started using a stacked fan grip on everything besides big drivers (wraith and up) and it has made a big difference. The disc feels really comfy in my hand and the release is so much more consistent. I can already throw my putters 250' with it.

sweet vid and very helpful. although it looked like Climo was using a buzzz

He will throw whatever you hand him, just won't play with them. I saw him throw a Vibram disc at the mini clinic at the PGA store.

He will throw whatever you hand him, just won't play with them. I saw him throw a Vibram disc at the mini clinic at the PGA store.

I think I would to. It would drive me nuts if I had to stick to one manufacture. Would have to at least get a chance to throw something different. Of course; that might drive me nuts if I really liked it and couldnt use it....

Still waiting for part 3. He finished part 2 mid sentence; never to be heard from again.

....I didn't really understand where he was going with his last sentence anyways? He was saying that putters start off faster because of their smaller rim? Sounds a little confusing considering thicker/fatter rimmed discs like the boss are way faster because of their bigger rims...?

He was saying that putters start off faster because of their smaller rim? Sounds a little confusing considering thicker/fatter rimmed discs like the boss are way faster because of their bigger rims...?
Narrower rimmed discs do come out of the hand faster than wide rimmed discs. He verified it with a speedometer. You get a stronger grip and rip with them. IMO, it's easier to feel "snap" with them as well. They slow down faster than wider rimmed discs, though.

taking what i learned from Jrawk :hfive:...i practiced a little bit today before i played, and started with no steps, to just 2 steps, and instead of a swooping run up throw, i was doing more of a pull through throw (more form correct)

i was basically facing backwards with my arm straight posistion pointing away from my target, taking 1 step and pulling the disc in a straight motion across my body during the 2nd step...i was able to throw low and accurate averaging 420-460, with so much less effort than my previous way of throwing. i feel like with the energy i was using to throw this far, i would of thrown around 350' with my other form. i was able to flip the destroyer over very easy, and the boss was holding its line from a flat release and going a little farther than the destroyer.

if anyone would like for me to post a video on this i wouldnt mind, its a great way to gain distance, while giving less effort, and being accurate (mainly because the setup is consistant) this is also a drive style that i believe can be used in the wooded courses.

i tried this same form on midrange discs as well as putters, and found that my form is not yet clean enough for these discs, as the disc comes out fluttering and diving to the right (mainly because i have not yet figured a good grip for these yet)...but for the drivers they come out very very clean, no visible sign of wobble.

I'd like to see a video of this.