• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

new driver

You think any advice that isn't in line with the Beto video or your buddies on this site is trrrbbblll. "I'd rather take advice from this 890 rated player over a 980 player anyday."

What's with this TL thing saying it's only suppose to go in a certain distance range. Where'd that come from? I feel most people on this site greatly over-estimate how far they throw. Do I have doubts an Eagle can be thrown over 400 feet? absolutely not. Do I have my doubts that a players who's been playing for .7 months can? definitely yes.

Perhaps you don't realize the Beto vid/DGR/Blate T. advice is derived from advice and discussions with Avery Jenkins, Jon Drummond, Dave Dunipace, and Ken Climo. The methods and techniques taught on DGR have had a lot of success and it's well documented by the players online that have used them. Its also easier to diagnose problems using these methods since there is more information on these methods which is why its recommended.

Triflusal said he threw his eagle 360', not 400' and either isn't hard to believe. Internet distances can often be inflated, but when they know what they speak of I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. If you need proof that a guy playing less than one year can throw far, one not need to look farther than DGCR's own Katchz who has posting putter throws over 400' and drivers over 600'.

hey, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I will say that lying only makes the advice you get useless, but if you're not, congrats man, more power to ya.

There's exceptions to everything. How about the 10,000 other players who have been playing a half a year and can only throw 250. Odds aren't in favor of every new player being the next big arm.

Perhaps you don't realize the Beto vid/DGR/Blate T. advice is derived from advice and discussions with Avery Jenkins, Jon Drummond, Dave Dunipace, and Ken Climo. The methods and techniques taught on DGR have had a lot of success and it's well documented by the players online that have used them. Its also easier to diagnose problems using these methods since there is more information on these methods which is why its recommended.

Triflusal said he threw his eagle 360', not 400' and either isn't hard to believe. Internet distances can often be inflated, but when they know what they speak of I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. If you need proof that a guy playing less than one year can throw far, one not need to look farther than DGCR's own Katchz who has posting putter throws over 400' and drivers over 600'.

From what I've gathered on this site most people aren't rated very high. Some of the people who preach this and defend it to the T aren't even 900 rated. Not saying that it doesn't work, but maybe that method doesn't work too good for them.

From what I've gathered on this site most people aren't rated very high. Some of the people who preach this and defend it to the T aren't even 900 rated. Not saying that it doesn't work, but maybe that method doesn't work too good for them.

You are aware that ratings aren't the end all be all for talent right? Everyone has bad rounds, and not everyone plays as well in tournaments as they do normally. Also, not everyone plays tournaments. Some of the best players I've ever played with don't have ratings at all.

You are aware that ratings aren't the end all be all for talent right? Everyone has bad rounds, and not everyone plays as well in tournaments as they do normally. Also, not everyone plays tournaments. Some of the best players I've ever played with don't have ratings at all.

I know that, but it's also the best way to see how good a player is without actually playing a round with them.

...unless you're referring to me, lol. I've been regularly shooting rounds rated around 920-930, then shooting 880s and 870s in tournaments.:|

The methods haven't been around long enough for the consistency to develop them into 1000 rated golfers. How many 1000 rated golfers do you know that have only been playing 2-3 years? It typically takes 7-8 years of considerable playing. Also the difference between a 900 and 1000 rated golfer often just comes down consistency and putting.

Plus, we already know, everyone good is on DGR.

The methods haven't been around long enough for the consistency to develop them into 1000 rated golfers. How many 1000 rated golfers do you know that have only been playing 2-3 years? It typically takes 7-8 years of considerable playing. Also the difference between a 900 and 1000 rated golfer often just comes down consistency and putting.

:doh:

maybe it's because people who are rated fairly high don't come to disc golf forums to get technique tips, so they never see those questions to help anyway.

justsayin

I guess I'll get a video up sometime, I need the advice anyway

There's exceptions to everything. How about the 10,000 other players who have been playing a half a year and can only throw 250. Odds aren't in favor of every new player being the next big arm.

This is so stupid. I have been playing nearly every other day, and field practice since I started. I'm not the guy out there with a katana, a putter and a beer.

If the way you teach disc golf is so much better, tell us. I believe in the conventional wisdom because it has worked. I have gone from a 200' noob hyzer with a sidewinder to 360' with an eagle because of it. I have spent countless hours researching and experimenting with my form.

Quit doubting me, that seems to be the main point of your (weak and aimless) argument. It took me a hell of a lot of time and effort to be where I am, and if you just want to besmirch that, maybe you shouldn't post.

I believe you can throw 420' because that is what you said in another thread. You don't believe me because you disagree with my opinions on disc golf.

I guess I'll get a video up sometime, I need the advice anyway

This is so stupid. I have been playing nearly every other day, and field practice since I started. I'm not the guy out there with a katana, a putter and a beer.
Dont worry, dude, you're not the only one on here lying about their distance.

If the way you teach disc golf is so much better, tell us. I believe in the conventional wisdom because it has worked. I have gone from a 200' noob hyzer with a sidewinder to 360' with an eagle because of it. I have spent countless hours researching and experimenting with my form.

Never said the way I would teach is better, Just as good? yeah, better? no.

Quit doubting me, that seems to be the main point of your (weak and aimless) argument. It took me a hell of a lot of time and effort to be where I am, and if you just want to besmirch that, maybe you shouldn't post.

No, no, no, my main point is not about you. I'm just using you as an easy example, since you've already commented in this thread. Let me ask you this, though. Do you believe everyone's distance that they say they can throw?

I believe you can throw 420' because that is what you said in another thread. You don't believe me because you disagree with my opinions on disc golf.
Thanks for believing me ;) If it were DGCR distance I'd say I max out around....503'.

There's a thread on IOWADG.com where a pro offers up a challenge. 10 throws, flat land, minimal wind. Each throw you break 400 he gives you 50 bucks, each throw you don't break 400' you owe him 100. That's a 990 rated player, Iowa State Coordinator and been playing golf for decades saying people greatly exaggerate what they say they throw. He's quoted as saying "I don't think people really know how far 400' really is." I can dig that thread up for you if you want. I wish a lot of people on here would do that bet with me( I know some people would probably make some money though).

There's no doubt that tons of people inflate their distance on the internet but it's just not worth making it your own personal crusade trying to bust them out.

Suffice it to say that a lot of athletic young dudes CAN throw 400'+ and there are a lot of other less serious golfers who think they can throw 400' but are really just talking about the 3 times they hit 400' in the field and will continue throwing Destroyers on the 320' holes at their home course...

I have no reason not to believe the distance people post.

Bergdawg, can you start a new thread explaining your way of teaching disc golf and on what points it differs from the conventional way (or at least tell us here)? Also, can you tell us why you are credible?

There's no doubt that tons of people inflate their distance on the internet but it's just not worth making it your own personal crusade trying to bust them out.

Suffice it to say that a lot of athletic young dudes CAN throw 400'+ and there are a lot of other less serious golfers who think they can throw 400' but are really just talking about the 3 times they hit 400' in the field and will continue throwing Destroyers on the 320' holes at their home course...

It wouldn't have been such a big deal if ten people, who think they're God's gift to dg, wouldn't jump down my throat for doubting someone.

It's just impossible to call someone out because you have no more evidence that they can't throw far than they have evidence that they can throw far. That is, unless they've already provided evidence that they can throw far, and then you just look like an ass. Either way, it's a dirty affair and no one comes out the other side looking or feeling any better, or with anything gained.

I live in the same area as Beto and the Blake/Beto method works. Pretty much all the pros around here throw with that style, and there are a ton of dudes who throw 400'+ around here, and a handful of 500'+ bombers. But the top pros are the ones who throw accurately up to about 450' and putt well.

I have no reason not to believe the distance people post.

Bergdawg, can you start a new thread explaining your way of teaching disc golf and on what points it differs from the conventional way (or at least tell us here)? Also, can you tell us why you are credible?

Obviously, you didn't really read most of my posts. I didn't say my way is the right way, I said there isn't any definitive "right way." How does my throw differ from the Beto video? I don't bend my arm, I keep it straight. Are we talking a pure distance throw or just my regular accurate drive? To use a baseball analogy, my throw is more like an outfielders throw and the Beto video is more like an infielders throw.

If you want credibility ask BennettUA or TheOtherBill, they've both played with me. I think TheOtherBill has a video of me throwing sidearm, too, if you really want to see that.

Are we talking a pure distance throw or just my regular accurate drive?

can't win a tournament in a long drive contest.

controlled golf distance is the only type of distance to talk about. everything else is just a sideshow.

Obviously, you didn't really read most of my posts. I didn't say my way is the right way, I said there isn't any definitive "right way." How does my throw differ from the Beto video? I don't bend my arm, I keep it straight. Are we talking a pure distance throw or just my regular accurate drive? To use a baseball analogy, my throw is more like an outfielders throw and the Beto video is more like an infielders throw.

If you want credibility ask BennettUA or TheOtherBill, they've both played with me. I think TheOtherBill has a video of me throwing sidearm, too, if you really want to see that.

You don't know the point of the beto/hammer drills do you? They are to teach you how to hit it, and then build your form around the hit.

What you do/described is the Swedish style of throwing, and although it emphasis on leverage more that bent arm or straight reach back does, it uses the same basic concepts that the right pec drills attempt to teach: wrist extension, late acceleration etc.

Your throw is a different style of throwing, but it uses much of the same mechanics as a straight reachback/bent elbow throw.

In short: your throw is basically the same as a bent elbow/straight reachback throw. The power base is different, Swedish is leverage, bent arm/straight reachback is kinetic linking.

The way Blake t tries to teach is supposed to be as easy as possible, so you can learn to hit it and then build your form around that feeling.

Latest posts