• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Foot Fault Rule?

It's actually an interesting issue that comes up in a lot of sports. Some players treat getting that initial 'warning' as a valid tactic, even in sports that don't allow self-calls (i.e. they make it obvious enough to intentionally get called, or infrequently enough that even if they get called, it's just a 'warning'). There's not really a great answer for how to deal with it.

Sorry, was trying to figure out what was different and then found out that nothing had.

Last edited:
I've proposed changing the rule to allowing players to jump where they simply had to release the putt before coming back down outside 10m to allow more athleticism in the sport. But it's been shot down primarily for safety reasons. On the other hand, I think there's thought about extending the 10m line to 15m in the next rules update so we'll have to see what the Rules Committee thinks.

does anyone else think that is sofa king we tawded?

i like your suggestion.

I think allowing people to get a huge running start and jump for the basket sounds goofy. I dunno if it adds athletic ability but it certainly adds autisim. Allowing someone to play defense also might add athletic ability but we shouldnt add that either.

I like how the rule is now, but I have no issue with backing the circle up to 15m instead of 10.

I just shot a message to PDGA's Rules Committee asking if there is any validity to what Feldberg said and whether Tournament Directors would be notified of the new enforcement rule. I should hear back in a few days. (or so the message said)

Just got a few replies to my email I send to the Rules Committee. Here they are:

Conrad Damon said:
That remark has definitely caused some confusion. I'm not aware of an organized
effort to get TDs to interpret the rule in that fashion. I'm copying two board members
who can clarify.

In any case, there's no risk in demonstrating too much control of balance after a putt.

-Conrad

Dr. Rick said:
(in response to Mr. Damon's email)
I'm not sure this is a good alternative to demonstrating balance. I can execute a falling putt, and still manage to stomp both my feet flat on the ground before face-planting. I know we are looking for a more objective way to measure balance, but I think it's really a better assessment to eyeball the player's overall body posture and momentum.

That being said, I still favor ultimately eliminating the falling putt rule.

Dr Rick

Harold Duvall said:
(in response to Dr. Rick's email)
Hey Rick,

That is one of the reasons why this section of the USDGC Ground Rules was preceded by: ... having all momentum towards the hole stopped and both feet on the ground no closer to the hole ...

I also favor the elimination of the falling putt rule, particularly in the absence of a 10-meter circle.

Take care,
Harold

So it appears that it was just a USDGC rule and will not be enforced as Dave Feldberg said.

Just got a few replies to my email I send to the Rules Committee. Here they are: [...]

So it appears that it was just a USDGC rule and will not be enforced as Dave Feldberg said.

I also got an e-mail from the PDGA Tour Manager that said basically the same thing: USDGC experiment.

Hmm, back to practicing all my putts the way that I used to practice them. Stinking rules are starting to mess with my practice routine.

I probably need to print the statements on this out and take them to the course. I have had had this argument before with players. One of them asked me, "Why would any one want to Jump Putt if you had to release it before your feet left the groud?" This person thought that the only reason to jump putt was to try to get closer to the goal. I replied "momentum". They didn't believe me. Oh well.

Latest posts