• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] *NEW* Gateway Chief Mold

WhiteyBear

Eagle Member
Hey all, I've been in contact with Dave and Danny at Gateway, and they have retooled the Gateway Chief;

Evolution Plastic
Flat
MORE STABLE

I'll be doing a thorough look at this new disc in Evo plastic, and will be comparing it to the S plastic "old" mold. Here are some pictures for your review...

OLD ON LEFT, NEW ON RIGHT
Thomas_Cadet_Grad_1_of_6.jpg

OLD MOLD
Thomas_Cadet_Grad_2_of_6.jpg

NEW MOLD
Thomas_Cadet_Grad_3_of_6.jpg

Thomas_Cadet_Grad_4_of_6.jpg

Thomas_Cadet_Grad_5_of_6.jpg

The "dome" you might see on the blue one, is actually just a shadow, it's pretty board flat as well.

Dave was very happy with how flat the Evo plastic came out, he said there is slightly more dome than the old S version. But I'm telling you this, it's freaking flat. If you loved the old chief, you just might marry the new chief.

If you have any specific questions, or want specific pictures, please post them here prior to the 27th of Dec. I'll have a video up soon after that.

The profile with the new bottom and higher parting line make it look like a good forehand disc and quite a bit more stability. Looks ringer esque. I like it. Good job Gateway

How much more OS is the new mold? I threw the original mold a few times and liked it but didn't like it for too long. I was expecting it to be more stable (both HSS and LSS) but it almost flew like a slightly beat in Wizard.

Wow, so would this be the 3rd major retool of the Chief then? I seem to recall they had a very different mold they were calling the Chief a decade ago or so which got discontinued very quickly (or maybe only released as protos). Then we have the more recent Chiefs and now these new Chiefs which look totally different. Given how different these new ones look, I wish they had just called it a new mold. That profile actually reminds me a lot of the Axiom Envy.

Wow, looks a ton like a Harp now. Wonder if it will be that OS.

so wait will this be the third retooling of the chief?

so what is the blue one here? flat small bead wizard?

How much more OS is the new mold? I threw the original mold a few times and liked it but didn't like it for too long. I was expecting it to be more stable (both HSS and LSS) but it almost flew like a slightly beat in Wizard.

Its not as OS as say a Harp, but it deffinitly has more balls than the old mold. With that being said, I personally have only thrown the prototype and its in the S plastic I believe so I would expect the EVO plastic to have a little more overstability. I do like the mold and plan on buying more but I will also be stocking up on the older mold as well. Both discs are amazing driving/up shot putters, but for me the Wizard is still tops as far as an actual putting putter.

Looks just like a suspect. I already have a ton of suspects...

I liked the chief the way it was, this new redesign looks like a new disc. I know gateways primarily a putter company (no disrespect). Should they have just left the chief alone? I think allot of people liked the chief, should they have just made this a new putter (tweener)?

Maybe I'll buy a couple more old ones... :\

so wait will this be the third retooling of the chief?

Actually 4th i think. OG Chiefs are domey small bead wizards

so what is the blue one here? flat small bead wizard?
The first Chief was when Gateway was calling the same mold in different plastics by different names. It was straight up the Wizard in H plastic. They molded up domey, felt slick and overall created a partial vacuum with their mouths. It really should not count as a Chief "tooling" since it was just the Wizard by a different name.

So I count two Chief toolings here, the original flat top with the Wizard wing and this retool that looks like a really flat APX. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

BTW, a small bead Wizard is a Voodoo. ;)

Yeah, the plastic set up like crap. It was the Wizard mold, though.

I don't need a beefier chief. I already have one of those.......It's called a zone. I just ecently picked up my "old " chief and like it for short little up shots. If it's not going to be replaceable I may have to go back to my beat kc roc. It seams way to soon for a retooling to me? Or maybe they weren't happy with how chiefs were moving and have created a false supply and demand thing. I am sure several disc traders are already thinking about stocking up on the new oop plastic flavor of the month, then gateway will release the new $$$$ blend bubble rim old mold big bead overmold super under over stable dead straight hard Finnish turn over roller putter of doom! I still fall for it all every once in a while, but it's kind of funny.:clap:

Its not a supply and demand thing. They weren't happy with how the cheif turned out so they retooled it obviously. There is no great marketing scheme in place to sell plastic. Besides I could give a $h!+ less what they call them they are both badass driving putters and complement each other nicely.

Latest posts