• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New guy from Jersey

Gunslinger82

My name is Adam and I just started playing more DG recently. Probably have seven or eight 18 hole rounds under my belt. I met a nice group of people who run the local Disc Golf Facebook here in South Jersey and I'm learning more and more from them each week. I'm a RHBH player mostly but can throw a decent RHFH flick from my Ultimate days in High School and College. It's very inconsistent just like it was back then. Everyone I've played with says I have really great potential as a player but I need refinement. Been watching a lot of Paul McBeth on Youtube and really trying to emulate his style. My drive accuracy is terrible but I'm told power and putting are both "pretty good." My longest drives so far are in the 270 range but consistently land(die)around 240. I'm not sure what I can do to hit that 300ft mark. Any tips or suggestions are very welcome.

In my bag:
Star Valkyrie 168g Brand New (like just got it yesterday and threw it 5 times)

DX Valkyrie 175g Beat Up (Turns like hell but goes far)

DX Valkyrie 175g Newer (More stable than the above and my primary driver)

DX Leopard 167g (Flies with the least effort and turns slightly)

DX Archangel 168g (I liked it at first but now it's super understable for some reason?)

Champion TL 171g (really hard plastic takes me twice the power to throw as any of my others but could cut a tree in half)

Star Teebird 168g (Brand new Really super overstable)

DX Dragon 150g (Only used on water holes on the local course)

Pro Wraith 170g (Brand New like just got it yesterday and threw it 5 times)

Lat 64 OptoLine - River (Brand New Grim Reaper stamp by accident because the advertised one had a fisherman on it and I love fishing. Seems to glide and have a lot of turn out of the box RHBH and dead straight with a RHFH)

Champion Roc3 170g (Brand New like just got it yesterday and threw it 5 times. Has Paul McBeth's signature so it must be good)

Glow Champion Mako 180g (Super overstable but gives me the most confidence throwing through narrow wood fairways)

Dynamic Discs Truth 172g (Captain America shield dyemax. Purchased only because I love Marvel but I had no idea what it would do. Easy layups and consistent flight on a slow hard fade at the end)

DX Wolf 175g (I don't like it. It's probably my most consistent disc but I don't have fun throwing it. It's ugly and yellow and boring. I've tried using it as a roller, tomahawk, and anytime I think I'm going to pound a tree extremely hard.)

DX Aviar P&A 175g (I use this for longer putts and layups. Better in the wind and short anhyzer throws.)

DX Polecat 175g (A gift from the Disc Golf Gods. Deadly from 10 feet or less.)

HEY! Welcome to DGCR!

I'm originally from South Jersey too...
have you been to Stafford Woods? That course is relatively new and only about 5 minutes from my folks' home. Great course overall... :thmbup:

When I make it back to visit, I'll shoot you a PM (if I remember) to see if you'd like to meetup.

Welcome again!

Oh, and I guess I should ask the obligatory jersey question... what exit? :D

heh... we're practically neighbors :)

well, sorta...

I'd give you advice but I know better :)
Head over to the Form Analysis\Critique forum for all the tips and advice you could ever want... ppl also will video tape themselves throwing so that folks here can help them identify any form flaws and so on...

Welcome to the addiction. It's cliché but oh so true. Film yourself throwing, or let someone else film a couple throws during a normal round. I think some ppl skip the next step: watch the vids! You'll be able to identify things that don't look good, and it will help apply things you see in other teaching videos.

But most of all, keep having fun.

Welcome! I love the TL and River. Great discs. I use the TL for forehand a ton and the River for everything. Recently bought a Saint, the River's big brother; more speed, same glide. I am working my arm up to it. Enjoy!

heh... we're practically neighbors :)

well, sorta...

I'd give you advice but I know better :)
Head over to the Form Analysis\Critique forum for all the tips and advice you could ever want... ppl also will video tape themselves throwing so that folks here can help them identify any form flaws and so on...

This is immensely helpful. Going to try to get some more Go Pro footage of me throwing. Youtube took down my video because of the music in the background.