• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Guy in Erie, PA

One more tip...if I may. Dicks can be pretty pricey, and their selection is limited. I don't know if there is a disc golf shop around you. If there is, check them out, feel some plastic...give in to your feelings, and your journey toward the dark side will be complete.

If not, then I suggest Marshall Street's online store, or Discgolfcenter.com.

That's the thing. Without any actual courses nearby I'm almost positive there aren't going to be any retailers nearby, either.

Their selection is limited, and I might never buy another disc there again, but they served their purpose today. Plus $10 off $50 coupons for DSG are pretty easy to find (you might have ten of them at home already).

I've seen a few of the online shops. Even ordered from a few already (that's why I have a few discs that weren't in the sets). I'd like to feel them first but that may very well be an impossibility given my location.

^Now that's useable info for the layperson. :thmbup:
Leo's are the driver for beginners.

I'm not trying to buck the conventional and helpful wisdom of those on the site... I'm guessing some people are pretty quick to give up or blame the disc, but I'm a bit more towards the other end of the spectrum. I'm aware of the fact that flight characteristics vary, and if my technique isn't up to snuff, I'll see some goofy shapes, lose distance, etc. But I'm okay with that, partly because I've already got the discs, and partly because I don't necessarily need things to be "easier" on me. Disc Masochism rules! :D J/K

All that said, obviously scoring matters too, and the sooner I can shoot respectable scores the better. :D

As for the OP: I loved Lake Shore Park in Ashtabula, OH.

Great. I'll have to check it out too. It's not too far away from me.

P.S. Paid my $25. And I've added the discs I have to my "bag."

How far can you throw your nuke?

I don't know for sure. I haven't measured. I think I'm awfully close to or past 300' at this point, though, just from guessing in a field (I golf so I'm not as terrible at judging distances as a lot of people). I did a lot of reading after playing the first time ever with rental discs in Kiawah Island, and I know about the flight patterns. I actually have two Nukes - one's a Pro D and is rated at 1.6 and the other is a Z at 1.0. I've been throwing the Z on an anhyzer line and it'll curve right, flatten, and fall off to the left at the end.

(I have an Avenger SS in Pro D at 0.5 too. It hit some pavement and has a big scuff but still flies okay.)

I'm not a short hitter in golf either. I'm not saying I'm crazy long, but I'm not short. I have a Leopard, too. It's lightweight though so I'm not entirely sure I want to use it too much. I like the feel of a heavier disc for accuracy reasons right now.

I haven't had a good frame of reference yet. Maybe I'll find a football field here soon, though with school starting up again soon, that may prove difficult.

I think what I might do is try to figure out a good five-disc set. I might start another thread on that. Just get a five-disc set (including a putter), and go from there. Really learn those, then begin branching out.

The "sets" I have now I can always keep as sets to give or loan to other people.

P.S. Can you view the "bags" of others? I didn't see a way to do that. Here's mine:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-19 at 8.36.16 pm.PNG
    Screen Shot 2012-08-19 at 8.36.16 pm.PNG
    95.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Just checked out the map - wow, you do live in a DG dead spot. :(
Pittsburgh may seem like a hike, but they've got a pretty solid DG scene: Check out some of the local club websites - they might be able to turn you on to a good local dealer.

I'm originally from Erie and still have family there. I can tell you it is a total DG wasteland. I wish it wasn't the case because there is a ton of good land for a ton of good courses, but you're pretty much SOL. Sorry brah.

I'm originally from Erie and still have family there. I can tell you it is a total DG wasteland. I wish it wasn't the case because there is a ton of good land for a ton of good courses, but you're pretty much SOL. Sorry brah.

I hope to change that. If you know anyone still IN Erie who likes DG or plays a little, then I'd be interested in meeting up with them to see what we could do.

I'll hit you up the next time I'm in town (maybe October but definitely around Christmas...when there is 3' of snow on the ground).

For now:
Duck Run SUCKS
Lake Shore Park in OH is worth the drive
I've heard good things about Slippery Rock
I talked to Dave MacCormack about Oil City but never got a chance to play it
I don't know much about the course at Grove City
Pymatuning isn't bad

I'd love to see a course at Erie Bluffs State Park or at Penn State Behrend. Plenty of great land.

Duck Run SUCKS
Lake Shore Park in OH is worth the drive
I've heard good things about Slippery Rock
I talked to Dave MacCormack about Oil City but never got a chance to play it
I don't know much about the course at Grove City
Pymatuning isn't bad

- Agreed. My kid and I barely got out of the car before we turned around and left.
- Heading out there today.
- Didn't know they had a course at Slippery Rock. I'll have to check that out.
- Going to Oil City perhaps this weekend.
- Went to Grove City yesterday (was nice for a family, not challenging, as I shot +2 as a pretty new beginner).
- Went to Pymatuning yesterday as well. The front nine has some pretty difficult holes with lots of trees and some good length. We were rained out and didn't play the back nine, but it appeared more open. I hope to go to the tournament this weekend to perhaps meet some people.

I emailed one of the township supervisors just now about how I should propose something to Millcreek about building a course. Anxious to see what he says. Hope to meet up sometime even if it's just for a beer and not to actually do anything. Worst case we can throw some discs inside downtown: http://thegolfevolution.com/metro (there's a net - it doesn't show up in smaller photos).

metro_6.jpg

Send me some details about your discussions with Millcreek. My father is a retired corporal with the Millcreek police department, I interned for the township when I was in college (and had hair), and I have family that works for the township as well.

Send me some details about your discussions with Millcreek. My father is a retired corporal with the Millcreek police department, I interned for the township when I was in college (and had hair), and I have family that works for the township as well.

Will do. At this point all I've done is send an email to Brian McGrath (not the lead singer for Sugar Ray - that's Mark McGrath :D) to ask him how I should proceed.

I think Millcreek Golf Course could make a fine home to a disc golf course since they lost several (five, IIRC) holes to the airport runway expansion.

I've also bought a domain name "eriediscgolf.com" that I plan to use first to promote the idea, and then eventually as the "club" site.

I like sugar ray.

Great job so far! You seem to have a lot of enthusiasm and motivation! I wish I lived closer! We'd dominate together.

Brian McGrath is a good guy and he should know me, but if not, he definitely knows my dad. Shoot me a PM as things progress and I'd be happy to help out. I'd love to be able to play some real DG when I'm home instead of playing safari in my parents' back yard!

This is actually what disc golf needs. You are obviously a pretty professional human being and you found disc golf, obviously enjoy it a ton, and are now using your skills and networking to try and advance it.

Well done :clap:

Welcome to the forum! Glad to see you've already picked up a Premium membership :thmbup:

*pssssst* Ignore anything Johnny Depth tells you ;)

Currently building a list of links that support the case for the good a DG course can do for the area.

Thanks guys.

I can hook you up with some players from that area who have been disc golfing for 15+ years.

Also, Chainbiter/Browns Farm in South Dayton. NY is an excellent course that is not too far from you. There are some people in that area that have tried getting a course in around the Erie area with no success. Perhaps you guys can get together? Also, the Pittsburgh Flying Disc Society would be willing to assist if possible.

I can hook you up with some players from that area who have been disc golfing for 15+ years.

I'd be happy to make their acquaintance. I don't know how you'd like them to contact me, but if you PM me I can give you email, Facebook (same username as here), etc.

Also, Chainbiter/Browns Farm in South Dayton. NY is an excellent course that is not too far from you. There are some people in that area that have tried getting a course in around the Erie area with no success. Perhaps you guys can get together? Also, the Pittsburgh Flying Disc Society would be willing to assist if possible.

Thanks for the Chainbiter recommendation. I added it to my wish list and messaged my brother-in-law about it. I hope to get out there soon. 90 minutes isn't very far at all.

Happy to get together with anyone. I'll have the eriediscgolf.com site up and running by the end of the weekend, and people can contact me through that. I'll also set up a Facebook page as well as soon as I figure out what kind to set up (is it a "Cause?" Or a "Local Business or Place" or a "Company, Organization, or Institution"? I'm not sure yet. :D).

Touch base with J Gary Dropcho and Deitzel and the guys from Pittsburgh.....they have built some of the best disc golf courses in the world and are making a strong case for worlds championships....they are probably youre most local connection that can give you excellent guidance

Latest posts