• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Guy in Erie, PA

iacas

* Ace Member *
Hi,

I'm actually a golf professional, but my "PGA" doesn't have a "D" in it. :)

I'm in Erie, PA and the first time I played disc golf was at Night Heron Park on Kiawah Island, SC back in early July. Since then I've driven to Duck Run (it was frightening, and my nine-year-old daughter and I promptly left - there was a run-down boat beside one of the holes, lots of tall weeds, etc.). I've played 18 holes at Roscoe Ewing (we teach several prominent golfers in Medina, OH) and had a blast with two people who had never played before. I am looking forward to going to Pymatuning State Park on Monday.

I have a number of questions and I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this thread, but I thought I'd try it here and if it needs moved, a moderator can perhaps move it, please?

-----

Erie is definitely not a disc golf hotbed. We've got no disc golf courses within about 30 minutes. Pymatuning is about 45 minutes away and I hear there's one in Ashtabula, OH but I haven't checked it out yet.

Pymatuning is currently rated 3.46 and the one in Lake Shore Park in Ashtabula, OH is rated 3.63. So they seem like reasonable courses, albeit, farther away than I'd prefer.

I'm seriously considering proposing to the city (the suburb Millcreek, not Erie) that we install a disc golf course somewhere. There's a nine-hole muni golf course that was closed in most of 2012 and will re-open as a four-hole course in 2013 due to an airport runway expansion, but I'd almost prefer to see them open it as a disc golf course. I think that would make more sense, albeit, it might be boring as there aren't many trees or anything. Maybe there's another property somewhere in Erie that would make a nice disc golf course.

Which brings me to my second item: I wish I could find a way to find someone else IN Erie, PA who was a disc golfer. I searched for players near me here on this site and it said the nearest was someone 343 miles away. :) Does anyone know of any Erie residents? I'd love to find someone to team up with to throw discs in fields, practice putting or chucking discs at my Discatcher, PLUS I'd love to find one or more people who could help me petition the city and get a course of our own. It seems that we could get an 18-hole deal for $10k or so, and later add tee pads and things.

I got an Innova Discatcher Sport and three kits (plus two extra discs). Ostensibly two of the kits are for my wife and daughter. I'm sure I could have probably chosen better but I'm content with these for now.

Set 1 (Kid): Discraft Cyclone, Comet, APX (?)
Set 2 (Wife): Innova Valkyrie, Panther, Aviar
Set 3 (Me): Discraft Nuke SS, Buzzz, Focus
Extras: Nuke, Avenger SS, Ti Buzzz

I introduced my brother-in-law to disc golf the other day. He's going with me on Monday to Pymatuning. We threw discs near a local playground/field and around trees, etc. After making a few short holes we practiced throwing discs to the goal from 50', backing up ten feet or so every time we made one. I ended up at about 120' and he made his next to last one to get to about 110'.

As I'm currently "on my own" I'm curious where there are some good tutorials or videos. I'd really like to get the form down. I'm a golf instructor, after all, so form matters to me. I'd like to not learn bad habits. I have a fairly good set of bookmarks (I think) to get me started. I have a 49 minute video of a guy teaching putting. I'm happy to pay for some videos if they're good, but this site seems like the best one out there for forums so I hope not to have to join too many other sites.

I look forward to supporting this site as a paying member here shortly. I probably don't need the highest level of membership but might do it anyway as $25 isn't a lot to ask.

I'll probably begin acquiring more discs here shortly though I can tell you right now that I'm not a "club ho" in golf so I likely won't be a "disc ho" in this. I know people "say that" but right now my yellow Fade bag has twelve discs in it, and six aren't mine, so I'm full for now. :)

Anyway, the basics are:
  1. Anyone know other disc golfers in Erie, PA or have any idea how to find them?
  2. Where can I find some awesome tutorials on getting some good fundamentals of form down?
  3. Any tips or suggestions on talking to the city council (or whatever) on getting a disc golf course set up here in Erie, PA?

I think that's all I have for now. I think I'm glad to have found this site.

welcome to the sport of disc golf!

If I lived closer I would offer to trade you disc golf lessons for ball golf lessons. But I live in California.
There are some great tips and technique guides right here on this forum to check out, and others on the web.

Your starter packs seem pretty good for your daughter and wife, but you might find the avenger easier to throw as a beginner.

Enjoy the sport because like ball golf it is very rewarding when you get the hang of things, but also pretty frustrating (prolly not as much).

Good luck on getting a course close by. My parents live in central Indiana and when I visit I am bummed out there isn't a course in their town.

Welcome to the site. You'll find many opinions here, but you'll also find some great information.

One thing you're gauranteed to hear is that you shouldn't throw the Nuke SS, or the Nuke when you're a beginner.

Most members here will advise you to "disc down" and buy slower discs, like speed 6, or 7 discs. Innova's Leopard, and Teebird are great examples.

Last edited:
I suggest you get a dx leopard and a dx roc. Amazing discs for beginners and pros alike.

If I were closing to you, I'd play with you all the time. :/ I'm in sw Ohio though.

Thanks. That might be all I need. I'd had that one bookmarked, but your recommendation will bump it to the top of my list. :)

One thing you're gauranteed to hear is that you don't throw the Nuke SS, or the Nuke.

Most members here will advise you to "disc down" and buy slower discs, like speed 6, or 7 discs. Innova's Leopard, and Teebird are great examples.

Thanks. I'll look into them.

I've actually gotten pretty comfortable throwing them. When I learned "ball" golf (sorry - I'm not sure I'll ever say "ball golf" comfortably :D) I started with some of the harder to hit clubs - some forged muscleback irons. I learned to hit the ball on the sweet spot or be punished severely for mis-hits. :) I stuck with it though and ballstriking has always been a strong part of my game.

Thus far I haven't gotten frustrated with the discs I've got. I know they're probably a bit above my pay grade, but that's never bothered me before. I don't get frustrated easily - I tend to use that to push me a bit harder. That said, I'm not stupid (or like to think I'm not anyway!) so I'll look into getting some of the others you and probably some other folks will recommend.

Thanks!

I'm curious about your professional golfing! Would you be so kind to tell us about that?
I like golf a lot too, but haven't played in a while. I suck at it btw lol

I'm curious about your professional golfing! Would you be so kind to tell us about that?
I like golf a lot too, but haven't played in a while. I suck at it btw lol

Not on a tour or anything, just instruction. I'm scratch when I get the chance to play (not all that often). I'm Director of Instructor Development for PureStrike 5 Simple Keys®, too. If you watch Golf Channel you'll see the 5SK commercial running from time to time.

I run a golf site, too, so I'm fairly comfortable with forums. :)

Welcome! As recommended, the teebird and leopard are great discs. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavors into disc golf!

A lot of new people find the teebird too overstable. The teebird is a great disc, but only if you find you have the power for it.When you can get a leopard to turn, then you are ready for a teebird.

Ha. Ball golf. My buddy works at Aldera here in Washington and he drives his boss crazy by calling it ball golf. He's a disc golfer, not a ball golfer. I like annoying people by saying that too.

Anyways... Welcome to the site and sport. I'm afraid you're SOL on getting advice here about finding local disc golfers. Just get to the courses that you can and get to know people. Someone there has got to live in or closer to Erie. Also, take your basket out to a local park that sees some use. You don't want to endanger anyone, but when people see what you're doing they're going to ask questions and maybe you can get people interested. If any stores around you sell discs, go there too. A lot of times places like Play It Again have at least one employee there who throws, and they might have some advice for you too on where to throw or who you can meet up with for a round. Pennsylvania is about 75th on my list of places to vacation or I'd be happy to play a round with you.

Thanks. I'll look into them.

I've actually gotten pretty comfortable throwing them. When I learned "ball" golf (sorry - I'm not sure I'll ever say "ball golf" comfortably :D) I started with some of the harder to hit clubs - some forged muscleback irons. I learned to hit the ball on the sweet spot or be punished severely for mis-hits. :) I stuck with it though and ballstriking has always been a strong part of my game.

Thus far I haven't gotten frustrated with the discs I've got. I know they're probably a bit above my pay grade, but that's never bothered me before. I don't get frustrated easily - I tend to use that to push me a bit harder. That said, I'm not stupid (or like to think I'm not anyway!) so I'll look into getting some of the others you and probably some other folks will recommend.

Thanks!

No problem. I'm a fan of using whatever works for you. If you want to putt with a driver, and drive with a putter...nothing matters as long as you're having fun. The examples I gave however, are very popular, and will work well for whatever your skill level is.

I hope you enjoy disc golf as much as you enjoy "ball" golf. I know that I was hooked from day one, and I'll play as long as my body lets me.

It's great to have a new member of the forum with so much golf knowledge. Again, welcome and I'm sure you'll have fun here on DGCR. :)

I'll probably be playing Oil City next weekend, if you feel like getting down there. It's a very good, fun, and challenging course. I prefer it to Pymatuning, but then it's closer for me also. PM if you'd like to meet up.

I'll probably be playing Oil City next weekend, if you feel like getting down there. It's a very good, fun, and challenging course. I prefer it to Pymatuning, but then it's closer for me also. PM if you'd like to meet up.

Thanks. I sent you a PM.

Thanks, everyone. I'm thinking that my earlier idea of using the old golf course for a disc golf course might not make as much sense since there'd be no real challenge, just a lot of fairly wide open shots.

So maybe I'll try to think of another place to put a disc golf course here in Erie. Until then, I'll be learning. Winter will be here sooner than we want, of course, too.

I believe the club that does events at Pymatuning is the Trumbull County Disc Golf Association.

Thanks! They seem to have a tournament going on next weekend - I might have to go and watch. It's definitely high on my list now!

http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/lil_Keystone_2012

P.S. (To others) I picked up a Leopard in a set, but when I got home noticed that the whole set was 146-150. So now that's my new "kid's set." She's small so she'll do better with those than the 160/170 discs she had. :p Dick's Sporting Goods actually had a small selection of random Innova discs. I was glad to see that.

One more tip...if I may. Dicks can be pretty pricey, and their selection is limited. I don't know if there is a disc golf shop around you. If there is, check them out, feel some plastic...give in to your feelings, and your journey toward the dark side will be complete.

If not, then I suggest Marshall Street's online store, or Discgolfcenter.com.

Let the addiction begin.

A lot of new people find the teebird too overstable. The teebird is a great disc, but only if you find you have the power for it. When you can get a leopard to turn, then you are ready for a teebird.

^Now that's useable info for the layperson. :thmbup:
Leo's are the driver for beginners.

I started throwing a TeeBird fairly early and guess what - everything I threw was a n00b hyzer :eek: - didn't know it at the time, but I simply wasn't getting the disc up to speed, and wasn't a fan of the Bird for quite some time - couldn't undertsand all the love it was getting. About the only drivers I could throw straight were Leopards and JLS.

Now, I love my Bird for straight and control shots, and my DX Leo stays in my bag for long turnover shots.

As for the OP: I loved Lake Shore Park in Ashtabula, OH.

One more tip...if I may. Dicks can be pretty pricey, and their selection is limited. I don't know if there is a disc golf shop around you. If there is, check them out, feel some plastic...give in to your feelings, and your journey toward the dark side will be complete.

If not, then I suggest Marshall Street's online store, or Discgolfcenter.com.

Let the addiction begin.
^More sound advice.

Last edited:

Latest posts