• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Guy

pavol74

My name is James. I live in Western Pennsylvania. I'm new to the sport. I was a big golfer but I pretty much can't play now because of back problems. I was looking for something else that I could do. I have seen many people play and always thought that it looked like fun. I don't know why I never tried it. I don't think it will bother my back too much. I have an idea how the sport works but that's about it. I have so much to learn. Pretty much starting from the very beginning but that's ok. I'm ready to learn. This looks like the perfect site to learn. I glad I found it.

Welcome to the site. There are plenty of disc golfers here from PA who would probably like to play a round with you. Hope you find plenty of good info here.

Welcome!

We have a local club in the greater Pittsburgh region, the Pittsburgh Flying Disc Society. We have several leagues at the different courses around the area. I run the random draw doubles league at Knob Hill, there is also a handicap league thats great for beginners at Schenley Park on wednesday nights, and theres a doubles league at Moraine state park on thursday(probably a little far for you from greensburg). Visit our website and check out the calendar for upcoming events and news.

pfds.org

Welcome to the site and sport! You definitely struck gold (comedic or otherwise) when you found this trove of knowledge known as DGCR.com! Lots of great tips/videos/instruction available (including video analysis, "In the Bag" type bag-contents breakdowns where users will help you put together the right combination of discs/plastics, TONS of personalized help here!), lots of great people on here with knowledge and a general desire to share it, and not to mention the huge database of courses!

Know this site, and know it well, for it will guide you to the promised land. (Y'know, like throwing 650' uphill in a headwind for a 'drop-in' deuce from 80').

On a more serious note, I will be curious to see how your back problems evolve through your disc golfing. I've found that unlike ball golf, walking EVERY round with your bag on, through generally rougher terrain than your average ball golf course can be a bit burdensome after a long week of playing 24+ holes every day. On the flipside, however, a round or two a week carrying a light load (15ish lb bag) and stopping to basically stretch and rotate/oscillate your spine each time you throw really strengthens your back and core, and can loosen up the tight muscles or creaky vertebraes. Use common sense and trust your body's warning signs.

If it feels like you're doing too much/going too hard, you probably are.

Keep your throws smooth, and don't worry about stepping into your throws (run-up, people will refer to this as the x-step, but often times it will include 2-3 steps, not just the single cross-step motion) too much at first. I, along with many others, will recommend the Driving with Dan Beato video as your first video mantra.

http://youtu.be/nED7gcXobEo

Finally, but most importantly, have fun!! check out the leagues that Prostar suggested, get involved and enjoy yourself! See you on the boards, dude!

Newbie here also and I have the same feelings....can't believe I waited all of these years to start playing. Good luck with your back (I'm sure you will be OK) and welcome to the addiction.

Welcome and have fun. Tossing discs around doesn't have to be hard. All depends on how far you want to take it. What sorts of back problems were you experiencing? You use your core a lot when you throw a disc, so it might still bother your back if you try to over-do it.

You can carry a couple discs around no problem, but if you ever find yourself needing to carry more you will probably benefit from a cart instead of a bag. There are several available for purchase or you can make your own. I've seen people use milk crates, coolers, totes, etc attached to wheels and a handle. Some buy old golf push carts and adapt them for disc golf.

Well welcome from another newbie. Lots of us newbies signing up this week it would appear. There are a bunch of good folks on this site who are willing to help us out so keep reading and asking questions.

Welcome friend!! Ask any question here and it will be answered. Most people are very friendly!

Welcome to the greatest addiction in the world. Glad to have new faces.

My back hurts when I don't carry a bag... so here's to hoping that you can stay pain free one way or another!

I am with GDBP on this one my back freakin' aches when i am not caring my bag but then again i do care one of those bulky Simians around every course i play.

Welcome....

If your back bothers you throwing backhand... maybe try a sidearm or forehand shot.

all the best enjoy the sport

Latest posts