• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] New Innova Discs question (for Wraith Lovers)

ehillis

I love the Star Wraith, probably throw it for 80% of drives over 300 feet, anything that doesn't require a hard curve either direction. (I throw a Firebird or Orc/Sidewinder for those)

I have yet to see any of the newest discs (XCaliber, Boss, Groove, Katana). Last time I got a new disc was the Destroyer (first speed 12 I think), but I was disappointed. Does anyone who really liked the Wraith also really like any of these new drivers?

I use my Pro Wraith for the majority of those shots as well, but when it comes to newish discs I really enjoy Destroyers especially for all types of Hyzer shots. I have thrown the boss some and just don't like the feel of the wide rim. I try not to get sucked into having the latest and greatest types of plastic.

I was a Wraith thrower but I converted to a Surge because I liked ESP over Star, feels more consistent. What disappointed you about the Destroyer?

You might like the Groove if you can get at least 375 feet. I use it for a ton of my drives when I play Circle C. It's fast, flippy, and still fades back pretty hard
I'm surprised you don't like the Destroyer. When I need distance and stability that's what I go to

Yeah I'm surprised as well you didn't like the Destroyer. It may just be my discs but my Destroyer flies just like my Wraith. The Groove would be a good disc to give a shot like mentioned before it's less stable than the other speed 12 and 13's. Another thing you could try is throwing an R-Pro Boss (maybe 160's).

I was a Wraith thrower but I converted to a Surge because I liked ESP over Star, feels more consistent. What disappointed you about the Destroyer?

ditto.

I loved my Wraith until I lost it. Now I am pretty well convinced that a Surge and Surge SS are all you need for max D drives. Well maybe an Avenger SS for rollers and major annys.

I'm a fan of the Wraith. I bought a Champion Groove and was so disappointed I sold it the same week. I won a Champion Destroyer in a raffle, but I didn't like it much and wasn't heartbroken when I lost it. I had a Star Boss that I lost on Wednesday throwing in a field where the grass badly needs cutting. That one I'll kinda miss, but I may not replace it with another Boss. It was not my longest disc. If you don't have a big arm -- if you don't throw your Wraith over 400' -- you'll probably be disappointed by the faster Innova discs. The Discraft Surge may be a pleasant surprise for you. It's a little faster than the Wraith, and has a little less fade, at least comparing ESP to Star. If I were going to estimate its numbers on the Innova scale, I'd give it a Speed 12, -1 Turn, +2 Fade. VERY similar flight path to the Wraith, and more forgiving than the Speed 12 and up Innova discs. It seems to give me a little more distance on a low, straight flight path.

Last edited:
im a huge heavy star wraith fan like you! love my heavy star destroyer too...idk how you could love one but not the other...but no matter.

i have used the XCaliber, Boss and Groove. the groove and boss i use for hyzer sidearm shots, but they have sort of rotated out of my starting lineup. xcaliber i use for slight hyzer shots up to about 350' quite often. of the three that ive tried, the x is the best for me. its like if a firebird and the wraith had a baby.

these other local yokels hit the nail on the head when they mentioned that you need to have pretty solid d to utilize the 12 and 13 speed discs. how far can you consistently and accurately throw your wraith?

Right, should have mentioned that I can probably throw ~450' max in no wind with the Wraith, so I shouldn't have a problem with high speed discs. I think I just couldn't get the height or accuracy down with the destroyer, probably thought it was slightly too understable yet had surprisingly little glide for being a little understable. Maybe I should give it another go...

Right, should have mentioned that I can probably throw ~450' max in no wind with the Wraith, so I shouldn't have a problem with high speed discs. I think I just couldn't get the height or accuracy down with the destroyer, probably thought it was slightly too understable yet had surprisingly little glide for being a little understable. Maybe I should give it another go...

ok so you throw 350'(adjusting for internet distance) so you should be ok throwing the faster discs...id probably try a boss first. it snaps like a little bit meatier destroyer, so it might be just what the dr ordered considering youre turning your destroyer over too much.

ok so you throw 350'(adjusting for internet distance) so you should be ok throwing the faster discs...id probably try a boss first. it snaps like a little bit meatier destroyer, so it might be just what the dr ordered considering youre turning your destroyer over too much.

lol:D

I've thrown faster discs than the Wraith myself but always keep coming back to the same conclusion...only a Wraith flies exactly like a Wraith. I even have an ESP Surge that many would argue is basically the same disc as the Wraith--not to me. I loved the Surge when I used to be able to throw BH but since I've been predominantly FH, the Wratith seems much more controllable.The Star Wraith just feels so right. Speed is only part of the equation. The way a disc feels and the confidence it instills certainly does more for my game than a stratospheric speed rating. Truth be told, I will probably never have the arm to fully realize the potential of the Wraith let alone speedier discs.

450' is a distance that many would be willing to sell a kidney for. Sounds like there is no place like home when home is where the Wraith is.

I've thrown faster discs than the Wraith myself but always keep coming back to the same conclusion...only a Wraith flies exactly like a Wraith. The Star Wraith just feels so right. Speed is only part of the equation. The way a disc feels and the confidence it instills certainly does more for my game than a stratospheric speed rating.

I agree with the above, the Star Wraith is a staple in my bag, and will probably always have a spot if not two for argueably my favorite driver in the game. In my opinion its a disc that when thrown correctly and properly can really elevate a player's overall game. With that being said I'm no where in the neighborhood of being even close to a pro player, basically I'm an intermediate player working hard to be an advanced player. My own disc golf philosophy is to play each individual shot for what it is: meaning if one day I park a hole with one of my wraiths that doesn't mean I'm going to throw it everytime I play that exact hole. Moving on from that point I feel that the Wraith is one of the most controllable drivers Innova makes, has great speed, and once you have a beat in Wraith its pretty easy to throw long controlled turnover shots, flex shots, straight shots, and with a newer disc long hyzer shots. In terms of overall distance, or a long wide open hole I'll probably 'club up' to a Boss or if its a throw into a head wind I'll go to a TeeRex, but there always seems to be a situation on most courses where a Wraith is a good bet in terms of disc selectoin.

Last year after I learned to throw a valkyrie, viking, and beast, I moved up to the Wraith, basically my first fast driver and its been with me since.

I've thrown faster discs than the Wraith myself but always keep coming back to the same conclusion...only a Wraith flies exactly like a Wraith. I even have an ESP Surge that many would argue is basically the same disc as the Wraith--not to me. I loved the Surge when I used to be able to throw BH but since I've been predominantly FH, the Wratith seems much more controllable.The Star Wraith just feels so right. Speed is only part of the equation. The way a disc feels and the confidence it instills certainly does more for my game than a stratospheric speed rating. Truth be told, I will probably never have the arm to fully realize the potential of the Wraith let alone speedier discs.

450' is a distance that many would be willing to sell a kidney for. Sounds like there is no place like home when home is where the Wraith is.

Sweet, thanks for the input. And 450 is with a wide open field, no wind. I do tend to hit things fairly often when playing...Maybe I'll eventually try the Boss, but I just wanted to know if I was missing out on anything spectacular.

If you dont like your destroyer right when you get it try beating it in. I have a fairly new wraith and a beat in destroyer. Throwing them both the same way i bomb them both about the same distance.

I like my Wraiths but also have been using Destroyers and now I am starting to use the newer Pro Boss. Compared to what plastic was available when I started all of these discs are very wind neutral and excel at handling a headwind.

If you dont like your destroyer right when you get it try beating it in. I have a fairly new wraith and a beat in destroyer. Throwing them both the same way i bomb them both about the same distance.

My 169 Star Destroyer was beating into an effortless, S-curving, distance machine, until it turned over and went to the bottom of the pond on hole 17 at Wellspring. I miss that disc. :(

I love the Star Wraith, probably throw it for 80% of drives over 300 feet, anything that doesn't require a hard curve either direction. (I throw a Firebird or Orc/Sidewinder for those)

I have yet to see any of the newest discs (XCaliber, Boss, Groove, Katana). Last time I got a new disc was the Destroyer (first speed 12 I think), but I was disappointed. Does anyone who really liked the Wraith also really like any of these new drivers?

No. The wraith is where it's at.