• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Innova tees?

The soil at Kure Beach is really sandy too, I wonder if that played a role in this as well.

If the tee is made of separate blocks, it seems like sandy soil would be more prone to settling and leaving the tee unlevel.

If the tee is made of separate blocks, it seems like sandy soil would be more prone to settling and leaving the tee unlevel.

Yeah but they link together supposedly so I guess that would help. I know rubber would be a complete failure out there and I assume concrete would be a pain to install initially, otherwise I have no idea.

Lol, who rated this one star? :confused::rolleyes:

They are plastic with a tight honeycomb pattern and link together to make a tee as large as you desire. Cleats will not snag on them and they aren't slippery when wet when I tried them. They have been testing them on the employee course that winds around the Innova warehouse in Rock Hill for a year or so. Russell Schwarz has been overseeing the development and testing. They must have liked them to move forward with a course.
Sounds something like Versacourt, or other modular plastic surfaces for game courts.

Hexagonal pieces could be cool since it gives you a lot of flexibility as far as size and overall shape of the tee too.

Yes, these tee pads are from Kure Beach. I got some feedback from someone who played it and he liked them, they were kinda grippy.

teepad1.jpg

teepad2.jpg

I don't know about tees; but these do look like a possible good solution for worn areas around tees. Harr mentioned the ones in use for this purpose at Plamann Park, in Appleton Wis. Those have been used around eroded concrete tee areas for a number of years now. They were an experiment that has proved pretty successful. Plamann's are made of rubber and the holes are square and small. I always thought the holes were too small. These look like they would allow the grass to grow through much better.

So, even if these do not turn out to be the best tee option; remember this for use around tee areas; to help hold grass growing back in.

I have played on the ones at Kure and they are actually quite grippy. I only had one instance where I slipped and it was due to the beach sand being higher than the tee-pad within the tee-pad (if that makes sense). Basically there was beach sand coming through the hexagonal pattern. A quick inspection before throwing would have solved this. A pro to these pads would be the ability to move the tee-pad whenever you wanted to, could be a minus too if people decide to steal them...

Anyone know who I should contact at Kure to find out about those mats? We have a mountain course that I think they may be perfect for....fill them with stone dust

Bro D might, I can also ask around. I'm guessing someone from Castle Hayne. I could start with the TD from the Azalea. I'll try to find out for you thumber...if Bro D doesn't know.

Bro D might, I can also ask around. I'm guessing someone from Castle Hayne. I could start with the TD from the Azalea. I'll try to find out for you thumber...if Bro D doesn't know.

That would be greatly appreciated

"Anyone know who I should contact at Kure to find out about those mats?" Send a PM to Otter of this site. I believe he knows the guy that designed the Kure Beach course.

wouldnt it make more sense to just grade the concrete to begin with rather than add expensive interlocking matting to the top of the concrete?

yeah everything Ive read about this surface is it is designed to be placed over concrete surfaces to assure grip...I don't get how this is a solution?

I'm going to try to find out opti, I can't imagine laying concrete then covering it with the rubber mat. I sent an email to someone at New Hanover DG, I'll see what they say.

These look similar to the one's they seems to have used. But, I bet the height is really important so you can pack as much sand/paver base as possible. http://www.rubbercal.com/Dura_Chef_Interlock.html

Dura-Chef-Interlock-Mats-400-x-300.jpg

Dur_Chef_interlock_PhotoB_150x200_Az.jpg

Anyone know who I should contact at Kure to find out about those mats? We have a mountain course that I think they may be perfect for....fill them with stone dust

When I last talked to Otter he told me that it sounded like these came from Innova or that at least Innova played a part in them going in at Kure Beach.

When I last talked to Otter he told me that it sounded like these came from Innova or that at least Innova played a part in them going in at Kure Beach.

interesting...much thx

I want to try them on rough graded mountain tee boxes. We have them roughly leveled and packed with soil. They now need finishing. I was thinking these could be pinned and the cells filled with stone dust. They would drain well, not spill out and erode and offer decent grip.

We were talking stone dust for finishing anyway, I just thought these may reduce the compacting requirements when finishing and stay firm for longer. Less tread wear at the front of the box as well I bet.

Latest posts