• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Innova tees?

I'm going to try to find out opti, I can't imagine laying concrete then covering it with the rubber mat. I sent an email to someone at New Hanover DG, I'll see what they say.

These look similar to the one's they seems to have used. But, I bet the height is really important so you can pack as much sand/paver base as possible. http://www.rubbercal.com/Dura_Chef_Interlock.html

Dura-Chef-Interlock-Mats-400-x-300.jpg

Dur_Chef_interlock_PhotoB_150x200_Az.jpg

These are very similar to the ones used at Plamann Park to help control wear around the tees. The grass grows through and stays; due to the mat. However, this only works about 2/3rds of the time. Again, I think perhaps the holes are too small for the grass to take root.

These are very similar to the ones used at Plamann Park to help control wear around the tees. The grass grows through and stays; due to the mat. However, this only works about 2/3rds of the time. Again, I think perhaps the holes are too small for the grass to take root.

Paul, from the looks of the use at Plamann is that these were installed after the area had been severely compacted and the turf didn't have much of a rootzone to retain life. If the area had been aerated heavily, reseeded, and then this installed I bet it would have had a chance to survive. It is all about the culture of the soil not just about what happens above the surface of the soil.

That is just a guess as I have only been to Plamann once, and I have no idea what came first . . . the compaction bare soil or the plastic mesh.

Soil was very compacted and though they tried to work with it; they probably didn't do that good of a job on some holes...probably causing the ones that didn't work. In general, it was a good experiment though. That course has been played crazy heavily for 20 years.

If they had just blown up the soil meaning more or less tilling it to 6" or so, they could have then incorporated seed into that soil, installed the plastic mesh, and I bet they would have a nice density of turf within those mats. These are the things I am hoping to help people understand in terms of turf maintenance. I have seen and done just about everything turf related and know that if people were informed of what is possible decisions would be more impactful and money would not be wasted.

Installation to me looked good, it is just that the impact of the mesh could have been greater if more prep work was done before the msh was installed.

While the plastic mesh is helpful in keeping you off the dirt . . . it could be so much better in terms of erosion control if turf was growing inside of the mesh. The key to preventing compaction is protecting the crown of the turf plant. the crown is basically at the ground level and the rubber/plastic mat helps to keep the traffice from impacting the crown. if the crown is untouched the turf will continue to grow. The crown is essentially the growing point and if it is protected the turf will continue to thrive.

I've been thinking about using something like this on some crush/dust tees too. More details on the cure beach hex would be appreciated...

I emailed then called the versa court folks. Spoke to a guy in texas that pretty much dismissed using the versa court for this application and recomended we use an artificial turf...... while I appreciate his input, it was a little weird he wouldn't even consider working with me to use the VC....i kinda think they like to work with large courts over small tees.

Those rubber mats used for restaurants are similar in design but not the same thing as what is at Kure Beach. The mats at Kure are more plastic in nature and therefore more sturdy than those rubbery restaurant mats. There is no concrete underneath the mats. Looks to me that basically you just dig out a square about 2" deep (the mats are around 2" in height), place the mat in the square and then fill the hexagonal patterns with dirt. This keeps the mat flush with the surround ground.

The tee material is made from recycled polyethylene. It comes in 18" x24" sections which lock together. It is hex celled and about an inch and a quarter thick. Really strong, will support vehicle traffic. It is recommended that back filling be with fine gravel screenings. When used like that it provides great footing and a water permeable surface.

The tee material is made from recycled polyethylene. It comes in 18" x24" sections which lock together. It is hex celled and about an inch and a quarter thick. Really strong, will support vehicle traffic. It is recommended that back filling be with fine gravel screenings. When used like that it provides great footing and a water permeable surface.

thanks for the info CMonk.... any idea where one can purchase this stuff or what the manufacturers name is?

Check out Tufftrack®Grassroad Pavers the product seems similar at NDS "we put water in its place"

Last edited:
Could work pretty well, grass is a good surface to throw from in a lot of conditions, and these would keep that grassy area from turning to rutted out mud. I know a lot of people have talked about not being able to put in concrete at local courses, this could be an alternative that would look pretty natural and still provide a level and stable tee.

I have a driveway that needs to be redone and now i'm thinking paving stone tire ramps and this stuff to make a grass driveway

want to use it at our mountain course so we get really good tees that maintain the rustic look

Latest posts