• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New League Coordinator Questions

That is correct, you always have to have it available. I hope to have less people use the paper scoring as time goes on.
Perhaps you mean "only" using paper scorecards. Groups have to use their primary and backup scoring methods on every hole in PDGA events.

My understanding is that the purpose of the dual scorecard requirement is not to handle technical glitches, but for scoring integrity.

Perhaps you mean "only" using paper scorecards. Groups have to use their primary and backup scoring methods on every hole in PDGA events.

Man, I didn't get that from this at all.

https://www.pdga.com/help/tournament-management/official-hole-scoring

Reads to me like we can use the the live scoring as the primary scoring, but have to have paper around as a backup in case of technology problems. I did not come away with the impression that this meant we'd have to also record on paper.

The paper score card also makes it easy to identify which tee and which basket we are playing on a hole since we are not using one standard layout.

Had someone say he wouldn't play if makeup rounds weren't allowed, and had to explain that make up rounds no longer make sense since we aren't doing a flex start, ongoing point series, or handicaps like the previous iteration of singles league that existed a couple of years ago. Felt good to stand by my format decisions.

Our league does the flex start but there are 4 guys running it so they take turns hanging out. Shotgun start is definitely the way to go if you are the only one running it. Sure it sucks not to be able to accommodate schedules but its the way it is. If someone really wanted a different time slot, they could run their own league 3 hours before/after you if they wanted.

We did shotgun start for our end of year doubles. It was nice to have everyone one out playing at the same time and finish at the same time. Then awards are given out immediately following. No way make up rounds would work AT ALL.

I'll float this out there for the general population: Is there anything basic about running an event that I'm not thinking of?

Any general advice on tabulating scores and payouts, distributing payouts, registration, scorecards, or anything else obvious?

I'm equal parts nervous and excited about this new little adventure of coordinating a league. Want to make sure I get it right.

One common irritation for TDs relates to players not being ready for tee-off. That can mean players arriving late and expecting to get in, not paying their online entry fee on time before groups are created, or not checking in if an app is being used to create groups/tee assignments for shotgun starts.

One common irritation for TDs relates to players not being ready for tee-off.

THIS!! Last night we had league night with a 5:30 tee off time. Literally 1/2 of the people showed up after 5:20 and we still had to figure out cards and starting holes.... :wall: