• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New North Carolina Courses

Olorin

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Please post here with any information about NEW disc golf courses in North Carolina that have been...

...Approved to begin work and given budgeting
...Work is in progress
...Newly completed

Please note that the emphasis here is on NEW courses instead of updates on existing NC courses. News or discussion of existing NC courses should stay on the North Carolina Courses thread

Does anyone have information about when the Fletcher Academy course might open? It is in Fletcher, near Asheville

El Dorado Farm in Burlington is a new course listed on Udisc. I have been unsuccessful in reaching the owner by email, does anybody know Shane and how I can reach him so that I can play his course?

Weaver Farm is a new NC course in Boone that is listed on Udisc. I have been unsuccessful in reaching the Bryan Hord by Facebook Messenger, does anybody know how I can reach him so that I can play his course? I'm also trying on the course Facebook page, so I will see if that works.

Update on Eagles Talon - I got to spend a few hours working on this new course this weekend, still a lot of work to do. There was a Park Ranger present and said the park was still committed to getting this course done and has equipment to clear the larger trees. No timetable yet on this one, the parks work crews are busy this time of year, so their schedule will have to slow down before they move to this project. It's going to be a wooded, hilly, challenging 19 hole layout.

Central Park DGC - found this one on UDisc and added it yesterday. Played the 9 holer in about 15 mins. Its a very short Pitch n' Putt in an office park. Very easy to get to, about 2 minutes off I-40 with a Durham address.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=13366

Does anyone have information about when the Fletcher Academy course might open? It is in Fletcher, near Asheville
Designer is Jay McCarthy & DCCDG. Soft opening Fall 2022; they started clearing in July 2022.

El Dorado Farm in Burlington is a new course listed on Udisc. I have been unsuccessful in reaching the owner by email, does anybody know Shane and how I can reach him so that I can play his course?
El Dorado is not a course yet; it is just 2 baskets without any marked tees. Shane has a vision for clearing his thickly forested land to make a course. He is a Marine Corps veteran and wants to use disc golf to help other veterans, especially those struggling with mental health issues. These are noble goals that I applaud!

Central Park DGC - found this one on UDisc and added it yesterday. Played the 9 holer in about 15 mins. Its a very short Pitch n' Putt in an office park. Very easy to get to, about 2 minutes off I-40 with a Durham address.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=13366
Central Park is a surprisingly fun little Par 2 course. The terrain is nice, and shooting an even par 18 is not simple because it still requires consistent first shots. This is a fun place to practice touch upshots and longer putts. Play safari too. Since going under par requires a hole-in-one (i.e.- a Par 2 Ace) that is even harder to do. I felt satisfied to accomplish an even par round. I'd suggest playing after business hours, but if I was out shopping or dining in the area I'd try to stop by after 6:00 for a fun end of the day throwing frisbees. Then there's a restaurant right across the street to unwind. (That's where I parked and played a glow round for a fun way to end a course collecting trip.)

Loose fit but it's a stones throw from the border....

I was kayaking on the NC/SC border earlier this year and noticed YMCA Camp Thunderbird has an 18 hole golf course.

I've been talking to the staff members about it and found out they're planning a re-design this fall.

Lake Wylie, SC, right next to southwest CLT.

A few to keep everyone up to date on, in case you missed the New Course Listings:

The Turret at Eastern Disc Golf - Raleigh, NC
Located outside the Eastern DG Shop on the south side a Raleigh. Short putter course, that I believe they use for their Putter League.

Ellis Crossing-AcePlace - Durham, NC
Pretty easy to get to, just a couple of turns off I-885 (Durham Freeway), at the back of the Ellis Crossing neighborhood.
Challenging for an AcePlace course, heavily wooded with quite a bit of elevation change.
Installed with brand new DISCatchers, two concrete tees per hole and great signage, thanks to CADL and Jay Pontier.
The good thing is Lennar Homes (the developer) is interested in putting courses in more of their neighborhoods.

BUT THE BIG NEWS IN NC !!
The Regulator at Cedarock Park in Burlington, NC

This course has been installed once a year for a tournament (Sneaky Pete ?), but is now installed permanently.
It will be the exclusive course for the FPO and FP40 divisions at this year's USWDGC.
It is the design of Lance Brown and thanks to the Burlington Area DGC, The Underground DGC, Triad Sign and the PDGA.

I saw it on the book of faces, he has a site and has been posting pics.
Maybe we should start a new site: Disc Golf Courses Coming Soon!

I'm looking forward to it opening since I'm very familiar with that part of RAL.
It is a bit of a drive to courses from that side of the Triangle, so hopefully they will pull in enough business to one of the few PTPs in the area.

Did they invite you for some experienced feedback?

I saw it on the book of faces, he has a site and has been posting pics.
Maybe we should start a new site: Disc Golf Courses Coming Soon!

I'm looking forward to it opening since I'm very familiar with that part of RAL.
It is a bit of a drive to courses from that side of the Triangle, so hopefully they will pull in enough business to one of the few PTPs in the area.

Did they invite you for some experienced feedback?
I was down for the day playing with old friend Carlton Howard. We played Diavolo in the morning with the intention of hitting Rock Ridge in the afternoon but Diavolo took forever and Rock Ridge was an extra half hour away from the way back home. Carlton suggested we check it out as it is near his house and he has been giving some input.

I still owe them a more detailed analysis of the place but I am told they have already changed the one hole I really disliked based on my input.

I was kayaking on the NC/SC border earlier this year and noticed YMCA Camp Thunderbird has an 18 hole golf course.

I've been talking to the staff members about it and found out they're planning a re-design this fall.

Mike, I just contacted them to see if it is open to play for everyone, members only, fee involved, etc.

To be honest, I haven't played much disc golf this year, but recently started getting some rounds in a bit more often. I did notice a few new courses/redesigned courses in the Charlotte area. I haven't had a chance to play any of these layouts yet, if anyone has, what are your thoughts?

Bohemian Cattle Co. - Sherrills Ford, NC
Looks like a new course on a cattle farm. According to their website, a waiver must be filled out to play, and it costs $5 to play.

Davidson College
Apparently Davidson College has been redesigned. It shares 9 of the wooded holes from the old layout, but has 9 holes that are completely new. Not sure if that is enough of a redesign to warrant a new Course page, but it is enough that some people may want to revisit the new design.

Winthrop University - Coliseum
Not a NC course. But when I went to play Winthrop Lakefront a couple of weekends ago I was surprised how many baskets they had around the Coliseum. Didn't realize a second permanent 18 hole course had been designed to play around the other half of Winthrop Gold.

This course is only open to campers and those on a retreat. It is not open to the public, so I am not sure it should even be listed here at all

This course is only open to campers and those on a retreat. It is not open to the public, so I am not sure it should even be listed here at all
Yeah after talking with them I was told the same thing. It's even more restricted than a typical private course, so keeping it unlisted works for me. Shame they don't let folks pay to toss a round on days the facilities aren't busy - it's a pretty location.