• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Virginia Courses

Olorin

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Please post here with any information about disc golf courses in Virginia that have been...

...Approved to begin work and given budgeting
...Work is in progress
...Newly completed

Mountain Track Rd in Orange- heavy equipment work finishing as I type. Probably open in a month or so.

Forest Valley outside Quantico - playable currently with rough tees and temp baskets. Bobcat operator broke his foot over the weekend so work slowed temporarily. Permanent stuff installed by Labor Day hopefully.

Dark Hollow outside Christiansburg- eventually 2 big mountainous courses - best guess is one playable in early fall and the other in early spring.

New 9 holer at barnesfield park in King George open currently. This one is not one of mine.

Chris Greene Park in Albemarle- unsure of projected opening, design work underway- not one of mine.
This is awesome news! I'm so happy to hear about this.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=13409

Northgate Park in Virginia Beach opened this past weekend, and what a stunner. A quick build between a local club, disc golf area council group, and the city using only private funds to pay for it. It was kept under wraps and never a hint on an area busy facebook page. It was posted on Sunday, and pleasant surprise for everybody. It's centrally located in the urban part of the city. Only the 3rd course for the city. There's one other on the books to be built using city funds, and two others in discussion.

On personnel note only 4 miles from my home. I've been driving 10 miles to Bayville, and Munden my home course is 20 miles. Northgate a 9-holer will likely be my afternoon rounds, maybe starting next week, the course is now being crushed with play.

Forest Valley outside Quantico - playable currently with rough tees and temp baskets.

Hey, we have a group who will be visiting the area mid-October. Any idea whether Forest Valley will be open to the public by then, and what condition it might be in?

Thanks!

Hey, we have a group who will be visiting the area mid-October. Any idea whether Forest Valley will be open to the public by then, and what condition it might be in?

Thanks!

My guess is yes it will be open by then. If it isn't you could buy a NOVA membership for $20 and be able to play at no cost other than that prior to opening day anyway. (Only free for members until construction is complete.) Members have been playing natural tees to temp baskets for a couple months at this point.

Half the permanent baskets went in today and the other half will be in possibly as soon as tomorrow. Temp baskets need to be pulled and that probably won't happen until I can get up there with my 4 wheeler some time next week. (Have Covid currently- mild but inconvenient)

The club was set to have 2 big workdays this weekend as a push to get one set of the tees finished prior to an event next weekend but the storm is going to screw that up. Can't move the stone with the bobcat without tearing things up if it is really wet.

It is a near certainty that there will be one full set of turf tees playable by mid month (blues which are the middle) and the remaining 2 sets will be a combo of natural, framed crusher run, and possibly some more finished turf at that point. Weather and bobcat operator availability are the 2 primary variables. The bobcat operator position seems to work a bit like being Spinal Tap's drummer.

My guess is yes it will be open by then.

Sounds great, thanks for the update!

(Have Covid currently- mild but inconvenient)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

The bobcat operator position seems to work a bit like being Spinal Tap's drummer.

I could understand a bizarre gardening accident, but I hope none spontaneously combusted or choked on someone else's vomit. :eek:

Some courses that have been added on DGCR since the last post:

Forest Valley an 18-holer and a John Biscoe designed course not yet opened:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=13460

Sawmill Park a 9-holer on the Eastern Shore just a short way from the Historic Onancock School course, opened a few weeks ago:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=13455

Pine Valley an 18-holer in the Petersburg area close to Ft. Lee (civilians have access) and Pharoah's Tomb, opened last week:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=13463

Already shared Virginia Beach's newest course a 9-holer Northgate, the 9th hole is one of my favorite closing holes for a 9-hole course. There is a future disc course in the works at Virginia Beach newest park Marshview close to the oceanfront, supposed to be installed Phase 2 with the park office, restrooms, and a BMX trail. Two others from what I'm told in negotiations with the city, at Salem Neighborhood Park a fund raiser pop up tournament has been played, the park is very open, my practice field and a little more than a mile from my home. Woodstock Park is also being mentioned, the park has been renovated. See what happens with Salem and Woodstock.

Baskets are all in at Forest Valley as well other than the 2 practice baskets and 9 holes of par 2. I will plant the sleeves for the practice baskets on Wednesday and drop them in on Thursday. Probably won't get to the Par 2 stuff this week since I am behind from being sick last week.

Member Gottafixit added a brewery course Hardywood DGC in the Richmond area, has some nice distance from both tees compared to the two I've played. If we could just get a brewery course to open in the Norfolk area it wouldn't be too hard to get some of my shipmates to play a round, if they make it from the bar to the course.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=13498

I could understand a bizarre gardening accident, but I hope none spontaneously combusted or choked on someone else's vomit. :eek:

Bobcat operator number 3 went down today. One broke his foot, one got Lyme and Covid at the same time, and now one has busted his head open. None have been injured at FV fwiw.

Bobcat operator number 3 went down today. One broke his foot, one got Lyme and Covid at the same time, and now one has busted his head open. None have been injured at FV fwiw.

Yeesh, sorry to hear that. Hope they recover quickly and fully.

As a former safety guy . . . glad I stuck with nice safe places like biomedical research laboratories. :rolleyes:

Baskets are all in at Forest Valley as well other than the 2 practice baskets and 9 holes of par 2. I will plant the sleeves for the practice baskets on Wednesday and drop them in on Thursday. Probably won't get to the Par 2 stuff this week since I am behind from being sick last week.

Just to follow up - a group of traveling disc golfers from around the country had a blast playing Forest Valley on the way to Lake Marshall. A 4.5 review is already posted, even without all of the amenities in place yet.

I can't wait to play Forest Valley again when the the par 2 is done and the course is all gussied up. :D

One other question: Any idea when Mountain Track Road is likely to be playable? I might be heading that way sometime in December. :)

Just to follow up - a group of traveling disc golfers from around the country had a blast playing Forest Valley on the way to Lake Marshall. A 4.5 review is already posted, even without all of the amenities in place yet.

I can't wait to play Forest Valley again when the the par 2 is done and the course is all gussied up. :D

One other question: Any idea when Mountain Track Road is likely to be playable? I might be heading that way sometime in December. :)

Hopefully tees and baskets by end of November. We are having a major push to knock some stuff out at FV this weekend and i will move on to Mt Track next week. It is not going to be anything remotely comparable to FV- shortish in a ton of regrowth pine- it will be rough at first but will open up some over time.