• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New PDGA Site Features

The site taking less than 10 minutes to load.
I've not experienced this issue in a long time.

Agreed. That quip from ejvogie has the sound of someone who is woefully out of the loop, and hasn't tried accessing the PDGA website in months.

At the beginning of this year, the PDGA hired Steve Ganz as their new Technology Director, and Steve brought decades worth of programming experience from working at Silicon Valley companies such as LinkedIn, PayPal, and McAfee. Over the past several months, countless hours have been poured into system reconfiguration, refactoring code and optimizing database queries for performance of the PDGA website, all while introducing some of the most commonly requested features that people have been clamoring for. Queries that took several seconds before are now processed in milliseconds.

During the week of the 2012 PDGA World Championships in July, PDGA.com handled record-breaking loads. Traffic was more than double what they've ever been in the history of the PDGA. In the month of July, PDGA.com served up 3 million page views during over half a million visits and never broke a sweat.

Yes, the PDGA website was terribly slow in 2011 and the beginning of 2012. But the site has been quite good since the beginning of the summer, and any statement to the contrary is patently false.

Some other nice changes that have been made are:

Player ratings are now "frozen in time" for event results. The results for an event from October 2008, now show the player's official rating from 2008, instead of the current rating. Previously, it would look like Val Jenkins was a 960 rated player at 2002 Am Worlds.

All fields in event results/registrations can now be sorted, including name, rating, PDGA number, City, scores, etc. You can see at a glance, who had the hot score in Round 3 or the players with the highest or lowest ratings. The sort feature works for all the columns displayed on upcoming events and results pages.

Field sizes are also listed. At a glance you can see there are/were 42 Advanced players at an event.

Some other nice changes that have been made are:

Player ratings are now "frozen in time" for event results. The results for an event from October 2008, now show the player's official rating from 2008, instead of the current rating. Previously, it would look like Val Jenkins was a 960 rated player at 2002 Am Worlds.

All fields in event results/registrations can now be sorted, including name, rating, PDGA number, City, scores, etc. You can see at a glance, who had the hot score in Round 3 or the players with the highest or lowest ratings. The sort feature works for all the columns displayed on upcoming events and results pages.

Field sizes are also listed. At a glance you can see there are/were 42 Advanced players at an event.

All good stuff.
icon14.gif

^^^ See, this is why I'm a member, and will continue to support the PDGA.

I'd like to be able to sign in on the home page (not on the forum) and access my stats, profile, etc. without having to search for myself using the player search function.

Latest posts