• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New player. Few questions

MRudo92

About 3 weeks ago I was introduced to disc golf by my sister. Tons of fun! I have a couple questions about throwing, grip, and discs. Please let me know if there is already a thread for this! Measurements given by TapeMeasure app on iPhone. It uses GPS and is said to be pretty accurate +/- 5ft with good 3G signal. Good thing I was in a wide open field! I'm throwing an innova maximum distance driver, innova long distance driver that has a much different groove in the edge, and an innova mid-range cobra. Went to an open field and throw innova maximum backhand max 220 ft, innova groove tomahawk/thumber max 180 ft, 210 ft. (roll), and what I found shocking was that my farthest, and most accurate, was with the innova mid-range forehand max 250 ft. exactly where I placed my backpack as a marker! Am i throwing at a decent distance as a 3 week player?Im also wondering why I don't throw drivers further since they were designed to do this. Maybe I just don't throw the drivers hard enough, and the mid-range is my perfect for my current power? Any idea why I don't throw discs well using the x step backhand, but decent forehand? Should I practice the x step more, or stick with what comes naturally? Think that's about it! I play in North Houston, Tx. Played at Bear Branch park about 6? Times now, and Terramont once. Hope you guys can help, thanks!

Last edited:
Mid range forehands are often the easiest throws to pick up. As you develop your game you will start understanding different discs, stability, and speed. The best way to learn is to keep playing.

Welcome to Disc Golf!
The x step backhand has a lot of movement and "parts" to the equation. A basic forehand has you facing your target and has a more simplified set of movements, a lot like hittting a forehand in tennis. It is noyt unusual that you found the FH easier.
Keep learning both. Disc golf can get pretty complicated but if you stick to the basics and study you will learn fast.
Buy a putter and learn to throw it both BH and FH as far as you can. Eventually you will be able to throw a putter over 200 feet.
Just like anything, practice, practice, pratice.

Well that explains that! I do have a putter, but didn't even think to throw it at the field. It's a, I believe, Discraft Challenger. Maybe innova challenger? Don't have the discs with me. Only problem with me throwing this putter is that, like an idiot, I chose black with a green stamp.. Thinking I'd only use it within 20 ft of the basket. I guess academy will be seeing me soon! I practice on my free time and plan on sticking with it atleast until I'm at the age it begins hurting to throw a disc! Thanks for the reply guys

your putter(s) will become your workhorses, I know if I'm within 150'ish I almost always grab a putter. I'm slowly working my way away from my drivers, not sure if that's because I am playing more technical courses or that I have realized that the driver is only giving me very little more than my mids and with a sacrifice in accuracy. Get to know your putter. Also work on all your throws, it never hurts to be able to throw a tomahawk, a roller, backhand, forehand, the more shots in the bag the better player you'll be.

OK to start off with, am I correct that you are using an Innova Max and Innova Groove? I'll be honest and say that those would literally be two of the last discs I would recommend for a beginner. The reason you are not getting the distance you want out of the drivers is that the Max is too fast and way too overstable for a beginner (and most intermediate players as it's the most overstable disc Innova makes), and the Groove is not only way too fast, but largely know as the most inconsistent driver Innova has put out. Now please don't take this all as criticism because we were all new once, but also know that you cannot learn good form throwing those drivers. As much as everyone will say "use putters and midranges only", doing so won't be as much fun so pick up an innova Eagle or Teebird for a primary driver. Neither will do you wrong. As far as backhand vs. forehand, make sure you become proficient in both. Each has it's place and having both in your arsenal will really help. Finally, take a ton of advice, but make sure you try stuff out on your own too. There are easier ways to do some things, but not every aspect of the sport is cut and dry. If it were so, there would be no progress and nobody would get better. Have fun!

I agree. Get a Leopard, Stalker, as drivers, the Cobra is a fine midrange.

The Challenger is a little overstable for a putter. I would try an Aviar or a Magnet to begin with. They fly much straighter than the Challenger will. The Challenger will dive to the left on you.

Well that explains that! I do have a putter, but didn't even think to throw it at the field. It's a, I believe, Discraft Challenger. Maybe innova challenger? Don't have the discs with me. Only problem with me throwing this putter is that, like an idiot, I chose black with a green stamp.. Thinking I'd only use it within 20 ft of the basket. I guess academy will be seeing me soon! I practice on my free time and plan on sticking with it atleast until I'm at the age it begins hurting to throw a disc! Thanks for the reply guys

Discraft Challenger, awesome putter! Everyone thinks that putters are just for putting starting out, and that you need the biggest and baddest driver on the market to get you distance. This couldn't be further from the truth. your Putter is one of the best teaching tools for you in terms of throwing accurately, and with good form.

Discraft Challenger, awesome putter! Everyone thinks that putters are just for putting starting out, and that you need the biggest and baddest driver on the market to get you distance. This couldn't be further from the truth. your Putter is one of the best teaching tools for you in terms of throwing accurately, and with good form.

You really think an overstable putter is good for a beginner?:confused:

You're not likely to get better or more concise advice than jtreadwell just gave. :thmbup:

OK to start off with, am I correct that you are using an Innova Max and Innova Groove? I'll be honest and say that those would literally be two of the last discs I would recommend for a beginner. The reason you are not getting the distance you want out of the drivers is that the Max is too fast and way too overstable for a beginner (and most intermediate players as it's the most overstable disc Innova makes), and the Groove is not only way too fast, but largely know as the most inconsistent driver Innova has put out. Now please don't take this all as criticism because we were all new once, but also know that you cannot learn good form throwing those drivers. As much as everyone will say "use putters and midranges only", doing so won't be as much fun so pick up an innova Eagle or Teebird for a primary driver. Neither will do you wrong. As far as backhand vs. forehand, make sure you become proficient in both. Each has it's place and having both in your arsenal will really help. Finally, take a ton of advice, but make sure you try stuff out on your own too. There are easier ways to do some things, but not every aspect of the sport is cut and dry. If it were so, there would be no progress and nobody would get better. Have fun!

Also, about your GPS distances, no GPS can get you within 5 feet of your current location. In ideal conditions in North America your best GPS performance will be within a 10 foot radius of where you actually are, but most conditions are not ideal, so your "fix" is more likely to be within 20 or 30 feet at each point, or worse, and your gps-measured distance between two points could easily be inaccurate by 50 feet or more. Or it could be right on. Hard to say, but it's preferable to use a more reliable tool than GPS for measuring distances in feet.

You really think an overstable putter is good for a beginner?:confused:

I think any putter that fits a person's hand the best is good for anyone.

That being said, Putters are best in base model plastic (DX,Pro-D,S-series for Gateway, etc.) base model plastic is the least expensive, so grab a few that you are interested in and give them a try. What works for you isn't going to work for everyone.

Be careful not to injure yourself while learning to play. Be sure to do some warm ups before playing and do not try to throw it too hard. Keep it simple, putter and a midrange for a few weeks. Disccraft has some good beginner videos you might want to watch. Welcome to the sport!

okay Ryan... hit him with the list.

1. Get an avatar that says I'm fabulous but not gay, unless you are gay then get one that says I'm fabulous and gay.

2. Find a disc then private message cfair and ask him what to do with it. He's the expert on that stuff.

3. Beware the prerube, not Prerube, the prerube.

4. Ignore either new013 or Ryan P. at all cost. You must choose one and only one, and you must completely ignore him. The other is completely authoritative on all matters which he speaks. Listen and learn from him.

About 3 weeks ago I was introduced to disc golf by my sister. Tons of fun! I have a couple questions about throwing, grip, and discs. Please let me know if there is already a thread for this! Measurements given by TapeMeasure app on iPhone. It uses GPS and is said to be pretty accurate +/- 5ft with good 3G signal. Good thing I was in a wide open field! I'm throwing an innova maximum distance driver, innova long distance driver that has a much different groove in the edge, and an innova mid-range cobra. Went to an open field and throw innova maximum backhand max 220 ft, innova groove tomahawk/thumber max 180 ft, 210 ft. (roll), and what I found shocking was that my farthest, and most accurate, was with the innova mid-range forehand max 250 ft. exactly where I placed my backpack as a marker! Am i throwing at a decent distance as a 3 week player?Im also wondering why I don't throw drivers further since they were designed to do this. Maybe I just don't throw the drivers hard enough, and the mid-range is my perfect for my current power? Any idea why I don't throw discs well using the x step backhand, but decent forehand? Should I practice the x step more, or stick with what comes naturally? Think that's about it! I play in North Houston, Tx. Played at Bear Branch park about 6? Times now, and Terramont once. Hope you guys can help, thanks!
Too long; didn't read but uh, so, is your sister seeing anybody? She likes disc golf huh?

*straightens tie, parts hair tight*

Thanks for the tips guys! I was wrong I have a Discraft nuke ss and innova champion groove. Honestly my sister buys the disc she thinks is pretty. I need to start my own bag and I'll be getting some of those for sure!

Latest posts