• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New player. Few questions

Also, about your GPS distances, no GPS can get you within 5 feet of your current location. In ideal conditions in North America your best GPS performance will be within a 10 foot radius of where you actually are, but most conditions are not ideal, so your "fix" is more likely to be within 20 or 30 feet at each point, or worse, and your gps-measured distance between two points could easily be inaccurate by 50 feet or more. Or it could be right on. Hard to say, but it's preferable to use a more reliable tool than GPS for measuring distances in feet.

Just going off what the app info told me. Could have been a lie

welcome to disk golf.

Everyones throwing style is different but as long as your getting the job done that's all that matters. What seems to be a 200 av for your distance only be 3 weeks into the game is good in my opinion. I am no pro but play with a lot of people. Between us all I would say our av throw is around 300., with the longest being 400 and shortest being about 175. It all depends on the disk and your style. I can throw a driver around 300 and a mid range only about 175 to 200. I'm not that good with a mid range but my brother in law uses a mid range mainly and can throw one about 350 and a driver only 300. Just try different disk and styles and see what works best for you, but learn all because there is a shot out there for all.

Ok...this time and this time only, I will tell you the secrets of Disc Golf...By the time I am finished telling you these things, the moderators will have already killed me. Use these words of wisdom, my friend...

1. Stretch and drink water...you will thank me.
2. Have fun. Nobody makes enough money at this for the stress level of competing to equal the compensation from winning a tournament.
3. If you trade, trade fair. Not all CE plastic is CE plastic...people have had thugs attack me for less...so make sure you KNOW it is CE plastic.
4. Pass it on. As we help you, help others.
5. IMO, www.Discgolfcenter.com is the BEST site for buying discs. There are other good ones, but all around this is an awesome site. NO, I do not work for them, neither am I sponsored by them.
6. Practice in fields as much as you practice your putting. In the end, putting will help you win more than driving will.
7. (Everyone say it with me...) "If you are ever deep in the woods looking for a disc and you hear banjos, RUN!!!"

I can't belive nobody prerube you yet so I am going to brake you in on it. This site is wonderful for finding info. Learn how to use the search feature.

Here are some threads that are very helpful,

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27231
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26165

there are more but it will benifet you if you find them yourself....

My best advice is to NOT OVER THROW YOUR DISC'S....

More power does not mean more distance!!!!

Work your putter a lot. It may not be as much fun as playing with a whole bag of disc's but you will get better alot faster. I play 3-4 putter only rounds every week.

There is a saying "drive for show, putt for dough" it is very true even if you don't want to play tournaments putting is the foundation of the game IMO if you can putt and drive with your putter everything eles will fall into place.

Welcome to the addiction:thmbup:

Ok...this time and this time only, I will tell you the secrets of Disc Golf...By the time I am finished telling you these things, the moderators will have already killed me. Use these words of wisdom, my friend...

1. Stretch and drink water...you will thank me.
2. Have fun. Nobody makes enough money at this for the stress level of competing to equal the compensation from winning a tournament.
3. If you trade, trade fair. Not all CE plastic is CE plastic...people have had thugs attack me for less...so make sure you KNOW it is CE plastic.
4. Pass it on. As we help you, help others.
5. IMO, www.Discgolfcenter.com is the BEST site for buying discs. There are other good ones, but all around this is an awesome site. NO, I do not work for them, neither am I sponsored by them.
6. Practice in fields as much as you practice your putting. In the end, putting will help you win more than driving will.
7. (Everyone say it with me...) "If you are ever deep in the woods looking for a disc and you hear banjos, RUN!!!"

Great advice! I'm a former highschool wrestler so stretching and water are always in my head, and at 18 I think my joints will be alright :) as for the thugs.. Yeah I've ran into three with "heat" but none with the balls to pull. Haha

Everyones throwing style is different but as long as your getting the job done that's all that matters. What seems to be a 200 av for your distance only be 3 weeks into the game is good in my opinion. I am no pro but play with a lot of people. Between us all I would say our av throw is around 300., with the longest being 400 and shortest being about 175. It all depends on the disk and your style. I can throw a driver around 300 and a mid range only about 175 to 200. I'm not that good with a mid range but my brother in law uses a mid range mainly and can throw one about 350 and a driver only 300. Just try different disk and styles and see what works best for you, but learn all because there is a shot out there for all.

There was also plenty of headwind which I'm sure dropped my distance slightly as I tend to throw high in open fields. Maybe I should make a short vid of my throw and steps so you guys can point out my mistakes? Anything to help me better myself!

Latest posts