• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New putter.

bhuff

Double Eagle Member
I have been using my pro d challenger for a while, and have gotten pretty comfortable with it. I just don't like the pro d beating in so easily. I do like the grippiness of it for catching chains. Also have a omega SS for driving, to floppy for close range for me. So i'm looking for a putter similiar to the challenger, not super floppy, but still pretty grippy.

The Wizard, Voodoo, Warlock or KC Pro/JK Aviars (and probably some others) are all similar to a Challenger but will be more durable. I'd keep away from the higher end (Star, Champ, ESP, ect.) for putters. My expeience is that they don't usually fly as well and putters in lower end plastics beat in slow enough that more durability isn't required. It takes months to years to really beat in an S Wizard.

If you like the D Challenger I'd just stick with it and worry more about how it flies than how it looks. They tend to get longer, straigher and easier to control as they beat in.

The Wizard, Voodoo, Warlock or KC Pro/JK Aviars (and probably some others) are all similar to a Challenger but will be more durable. I'd keep away from the higher end (Star, Champ, ESP, ect.) for putters. My expeience is that they don't usually fly as well and putters in lower end plastics beat in slow enough that more durability isn't required. It takes months to years to really beat in an S Wizard.

If you like the D Challenger I'd just stick with it and worry more about how it flies than how it looks. They tend to get longer, straigher and easier to control as they beat in.

Solid info.

My opinion of the gateway putters, the Voodoo is the closest match. Suggest the Organic or SS plastic.

You could try an x-challenger (soft for in close and hard for driving). That way you get your grippyness, but you don't wear it out so fast.

Does anyone know if they still make the hard elite-x challengers? I have 3 that I've been rotating for 4-5 years but I didn't see them listed on Discrafts website. Are they OOP?

I've always been very impressed with every Gateway putter I've thrown (Wizard, Warlock, Voodoo, Magic.) They're available in a large selection of plastics, and each one of them is stiff enough for being hucked off the tee, (except the Evolution HPP, in my experience.)

Check out their website. They have a very complete description of all of their putter's flight characteristics.

Last edited:
Check out the Wizard, i just bought my first last week. It flies alot like the challenger actually, at least the ****ty FLX one i have. Mine seems to be in the middle of a magnet and challenger as far as stableness.

So whats a good plastic to have from gateway. I don't want to be able to "taco" it. Firm and Grippy. I'm guessing the S plastic, but there site says its more like DX plastic, which I don't think is grippy enough for what i'm looking for.

Soft challengers aint that soft...I can bring mine out if we meet up some time. Grippy as a mofo too.

Does anybody actually use their Vibrams? I know everybody and their brother bought 5...but I see them for sale EVERYWHERE...our club got rid of like twenty :p

I would personally go with the FLX Challenger. FLX plastic seems to really like to grip the chains and it will take forever to beat the plastic up.

I used my VP all the time when I could play...now a birdie is overstable for me (kidding) but really, I have no need for an overstable putter with my off-hand just not enough oomph.

Latest posts