• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New series from HyzerUniBomber

This is one of HUB's best videos in my opinion. Doing the exercise in the video, I think I feel the brace much better, as well as a better forward lean with the butt out. Hope to get the time to try it out on the field soon. Looking forward to the rest of the videos.

I did not know that it was "wrong" to step sideways at the end of the follow-through (like the old man does). I believe I have seen many pros do that as well, like Page Pierce(?).

Really solid, reminds me of the butt wipes drill from SW. That's one thing you can do to during this drill is have your butt up against a wall and make sure it stays on the wall. Only way to keep it on the wall is to compress and push back on the braces as he mentions

Hey Guys - the tldr; is that I'm really booked up with work on multiple fronts and so I had Roger reach out and ask in great detail for help. I figured if I could dial up an hour each week somewhere, I can review his form and make a response video that tries to share whatever I've learned over the years from SW and this crew here. Many of you helped me with my understanding of the swing and when you guys (RFrance esp.) share videos you find in here, I'll often throw them into my save for later viewing and I've watched countless golf, baseball, even football videos.

I wish I had the time to still contribute here more than I do - but in the meantime this is my best bet.

My explanation for why we brace (definitely stolen from various long drive golf videos):

The fundamental reason that we brace in plain spoken english: to accelerate the arm.

The arms speed is set to its initial speed in the down-swing. (From the top of the back swing to center chest.)

If the hips remain unchanged or un-braced, the arm will not change speed. You set it in motion and it remains in motion, with no other force acting on it.

A BRACED HIP will slow your lower body rotation and your momentum has to go somewhere... where can it go? Up the body, which can rotate because you have mobility through your abdomen and hip joints.

To brace the lead hip, you have to compress the lead leg and push it out, moving the right hip back - which is going to slow your lower body rotation and funnel momentum up.

If you do this, there is no "throwing the disc with your arm"... you are simply holding onto the disc as it redirects through the swing and your upper body gains momentum which funnels through the posture and motion you create.

Yeah, watched some videos of her and it seems like I had a false memory.

Until I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBQ4SkpWpRU

It may not be the same "step out" as the old man, but looks similar.

Not a great PP throw to analyze: she's a bit in the backseat, bringing the disc well behind herself in the backswing - most definitely due to the wonky facing teepad. When you look at her balance post release, it's in line with the direction of throw but not the teepad.

It happens, we all throw shots that aren't in the lab and have to adjust.

Roger's bounce out came from being too back seat and then trying to remain in balance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 1.03.35 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 1.03.35 PM.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 88
I did not know that it was "wrong" to step sideways at the end of the follow-through (like the old man does). I believe I have seen many pros do that as well, like Page Pierce(?).

Yeah, watched some videos of her and it seems like I had a false memory.

Until I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBQ4SkpWpRU

It may not be the same "step out" as the old man, but looks similar.

Not a great PP throw to analyze: she's a bit in the backseat, bringing the disc well behind herself in the backswing - most definitely due to the wonky facing teepad. When you look at her balance post release, it's in line with the direction of throw but not the teepad.

It happens, we all throw shots that aren't in the lab and have to adjust.

Roger's bounce out came from being too back seat and then trying to remain in balance.
I think the real indicator difference is during the stride and swing where the hips/butt lose depth. It's harder to pinpoint indicator in the followthru.

I think the real indicator difference is during the stride and swing where the hips/butt lose depth. It's harder to pinpoint indicator in the followthru.

Good looking drive n putt :thmbup:

when you move the disc forward does it end up in the same place it would as if you would just walk around the disc

So I've been revisiting a lot of HUB and SW22 videos to get back into form work. Lately my distance stagnated and my drives have become more erratic and watching different teachings on driving mechanisms has probably confused me more than it's improved my game.

I started out last year working on posture, planting, power pocket, grip... the works... Struggling to keep one thing in mind and moving too fast to the next subject.

But re-watching this makes me think I've lost my athletic stance a long the way (if I ever really had it). All this talk of standing tall and being tippy toed a long with the constant struggle of throwing flat and not hyzer seems to have messed with my mechanics. In my previous attempts on posture I've been focusing on getting "hunched" over the disc to avoid curving my spine while staying upright to get a flat swing plane. Getting taller and taller with my elbow higher and higher till the flatter angles started giving me more distance, but the cost has been power.

So this week and last I've been back to doing field work just working on posture. Instead of hunching over my disc I've focused on bending more at my hips to get over my toes. Something I've been avoiding 'cause that's how I throw hyzers/spike hyzers. But HUBs comment on "getting used to this new flat" made me stick with it and work on one leg drill.

The result being I feel way more connected to the ground. Heavier almost, but in balance and I find it way easier to swing around my plant leg. In the first session I ended up throwing a lot of hyzers way out to the right, but watching some of SW22s form analyzes I started turning my shoulders more, trusting my line and suddenly I had access to a lot more power flinging my disc straight out.

I tried to put the sensation of feeling more grounded to my forehand and my putts as well and so far it seems to be working. Early days and a lot of rebuilding to do, but hope I'm back on track and it's not just one of these fleeting "break-throughs".

I feel ya. I've recently been finding more mental/physical tricks to help train the throw. Thought I'd share this one.

I've been working a lot on getting the weight transfer, off arm, and oblique sling loading to play nice together in daily indoor drills. Lots and lots of reps. It's been really cold here so outdoor throwing has been discouraging, but this morning was just warm enough that my body and grip felt better so I got a few in.

My PSA is that decent, tireless indoor swing drills really do help even if you're swinging much more slowly. It has been super helpful to get critiques of these drills from SW22 and Navel since it is really helping me understand what should be happening when I move even at a snail's pace.

Today even though I've been throwing outside less the past few weeks, I noticed that those "buttery" throws were coming much more often. You know, the ones where it feels like one smooth maneuver, and you feel like you weigh 1000lbs against the disc behind you. The lag flows up from the ground and you fling the disc with low effort and no jerks. It was exhilarating. I immediately wanted to find a "swing thought" to make them more likely to happen.

I finally realized that matter the throw angle (and some were garbage!), if I felt my weight shift properly and completely with a drop/squat to fully initiate the throw with my rear arm in a natural "beverage" position, I predictably got a smooth, lagged, "buttery" throw. I felt like a coil under tension smoothly unwinding at the same time that I was a spring compressing into the hit and decompressing into the follow through. It was much more like I was naturally swinging a heavy object with my body weight up the chain. It felt unlike any other motion I've experienced, and it was just like that first freak 400'+ throw I had months ago that first drove me to these forums.

The connection to the Olympic Hammer Throw made more sense to me today than ever, and I actively started imagining winding up to smoothly swing that heavy disc with my full bodyweight. It seemed to help catch a few more butter throws than before.

I am trying to sling a brick, hammer, or kettlebell hundreds of feet away, and there's only one "best" way to do it. I am much heavier than what I'm throwing, and gravity can make me heavier. My weight is my greatest weapon in the war for armspeed.

I will continue to visualize an actual hammer throw now in fieldwork. Even though I've never done one, I think I now understand how it feels to get a complete weight shift (albeit still inconsistently in real throws) and why a balanced drop/squat makes everything up the chain work more effortlessly. Can't wait until the weather breaks. Back into my basement to swing like a madman!

Attachments

• hammer-throwing620.jpg
    hammer-throwing620.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts