• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to Forehand.

Shermanator

So i discovered my hidden talent which is my RHFH throw. I'm looking for disc's that will compliment this throw. Out of all my disc's, My Champion Wraith, and my Lat 64 River and Ballistia seem to work best for my forehand. What are you guys throwing? :popcorn:

'Tis true. But don't worry, I've been known to "re-ask" a question time and again. Personally, I like a Surge (kind of Wraith-ish?) as well as some more overstable discs, like a Predator (preferably a little bit beat up) or a Nuke.

Here we go again!

The search button is your friend. This topic comes up at least once a week.

Here's a couple
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118813
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116240

It's his/her first post and they just joined.... :thmbdown:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/announcement.php?f=23&a=1
2) If a thread doesn't interest you, please move along. There is no need to post in the thread letting us know you think it's stupid.

Sorry, was trying to be helpful.
It was early AM and I should have worded it differently.

Before I joined up here and started reading threads, I bought a lot of discs and got really frustrated by not being able to throw my high speed drivers. One day I decided to try a forehand. I soon found out that I can throw the higher speed, wider rim discs pretty well forehand. Most all of my drives and longer approach shots now are forehand.

I currently throw a Teebird, Leopard or a Wraith off most tees. For mids and putters, I throw mostly backhand as they are much less predictable for me on FH throws. The forehand grip on wider rims just seems more natural to me.

No worries Grotto! Yeah i have only been playing for 6 months now. I kind of got addicted to buying disc, i have a little over 30 now..... haha But i am dedicated, i have never loved a sport so much! I actually have a champion Teebird, and Leopard. Haven't tried them forehand though, defiantly going to do that on my next trip out. Hope everyone is having a great day. Thanks for all the feedback.

To the OP: I like the discs that you are using right now. The Wraith and River are fairly neutral discs. What you don't want to do is buy overstable discs to compensate for your torque and OAT that comes commonly with throwing forehand.

If you are getting clean, good throws with neutral discs, you are doing well. I always recommend that people learn to throw the disc properly rather than buying a disc that will compensate for form flaws. Remember that learning to hyzer-flip with forehand is quite valuable and difficult to master.

Word of caution (that I wish I could have told myself when I first got started): Forehand is great but don't forget the backhand. I'm a forehand dominant player because I found it easier to develop than backhand. Now I'm struggling to get my backhand to catch up. Practice multiple throwing styles as you progress so you're not stuck with only one that is proficient!

As for discs, my faves are:

Distance: Destroyer
Fairway: Teebird
FH Rollers: Firebird
Mid: Buzzz
Putter: The occasional Wizard

Good luck and happy hucking!

Thanks for all the feed back guys! This really helps me out, i'm going to look into some of the disc you guys suggested. And i will be sure to not only throw forehand, i know my backhand needs work to!

Well, depends on what you need to do with the shot. For example. I flick right, If I want something to go maybe 250ft and turn right then I throw a very flat 11x Firebird or a Sexton Firebird. If I need distance but want it to turn left then I throw a Z NukeSS. If I am going for distance and the shot shape is not important then a nice Star Destroyer, a flat bar stamp Z Crush, older Monster L or an pearly old Orc with a very flat profile might work. And then there is my roller stuff, a Roadrunner or an AvengerSS work well for me.

Word of caution (that I wish I could have told myself when I first got started): Forehand is great but don't forget the backhand. I'm a forehand dominant player because I found it easier to develop than backhand. Now I'm struggling to get my backhand to catch up. Practice multiple throwing styles as you progress so you're not stuck with only one that is proficient!

Word to keeping up your backhand. A good forehand is an important component to a complete game. As a righty, it's much easier to flick a drive on a dogleg right hole than it is to try some low-percentage anhyzer bomb or shaky turnover drive on the same hole. But at the same time, I wouldn't want to have to flick a drive on any dogleg left holes; I'd want to throw my meat & potatoes backhand hyzer there.

And be sure to take care of your elbow once you begin to throw your forehand. The only injury I've sustained playing this game in 5 years was a sore elbow when I first started using a forehand. Based on non-scientific, anecdotal evidence, I wouldnt be surprised that most of the arm injuries sustained in dg comes from using a forehand.

And get a Firebird.

If you can throw a Wraith and River with a forehand you are already miles ahead most people starting out! It takes a lot more skill to throw neutral drivers (like you are doing!) than to throw massively over-stable drivers that compensate for bad forehand form.

Keep it up!

not to mention the potential and more likely roll at the end of a forced anhyzer rather than a more controlled skip at the end of a hyzer.

I think our bags would look identical DJ

For a distance driver, a Star Wraith is my main driver for straight to right throws.
For right to left, I use a Star Roadrunner (this is the trickiest throw to learn, the "forehanny"). Because of this shot, I don't really need to learn a backhand. Though there are still times a backhand is just so much more practical.
For mids, I use a Champ Gator for straight to right; for right to left I've been using a DX Wolf, but lately I've been trying out a Star Kite to see if I can get it to go longer than the Wolf is capable of doing. For straight/tunnel shots, an Ibex.

Latest posts