• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to Syracuse, NY [looking for league info]

illuminatefreak

Par Member
I just moved from Rochester to Syracuse. I went onto the CNYDGA Website for info about leagues here, but things look pretty outdated. League info was from 2013.

I'm curious if there are any natives to Syracuse, NY on here that can provide any info about the local disc golf scene.

Thanks in advance.

I made a similar move recently, there's a league on Wednesday nights, you have to dig through that Facebook page that Keller posted to figure out where it is though. There are apparently 2 other leagues (Tuesday and Thursday) but I haven't been able to find any solid information other than mentions of it on that same facebook page.

I went back to Rochester over the weekend to play some golf, you'll miss the courses there :)

This week, Wednesday doubles at Jamesville Beach, have to be there before 5:30. traveling league, not sure where it is next week.

Thursday night handicap league at Clay park in Liverpool. Meet at the Wetzel road parking lot pavilion around 5:00

Travelling unorganized fun league on Sunday mornings, have to monitor the facebook page to know where it will be

Tuesday night league at Emerson park.

If you go to one of them, one of the locals can probably give you the full run down.

I just played this past weekend at Emerson Park. Nice, fun, pretty decent course. I think I would miss even the variety of courses we have out here in Buffalo though. Definitely going to have to get out to Rochester soon though. Still haven't played any of the courses there.

Buffalo and Rochester are definitely the cities in NY with the most courses. If pressed, I think Buffalo has more "good" courses than Rochester but you should hit up Parma, Ellison and Chili if you're there. The Shore Winds courses are some of my favorites too (not really Rochester but in between).

Buffalo and Rochester are definitely the cities in NY with the most courses. If pressed, I think Buffalo has more "good" courses than Rochester but you should hit up Parma, Ellison and Chili if you're there. The Shore Winds courses are some of my favorites too (not really Rochester but in between).

Idk. I give Rochester a slight edge. I'm not as into black diamond as others seem to be.

I feel sorry for any disc golf player that has to move from Rochester to Syracuse:p

Idk. I give Rochester a slight edge. I'm not as into black diamond as others seem to be.

I feel sorry for any disc golf player that has to move from Rochester to Syracuse:p
I like the back 9 on Black Diamond, front 9 not so much.

And yes, I'm kind of bummed... I'm between Ithaca and Syracuse now. Talk about a lack of courses. I drove back to Rochester last weekend partially just to get my disc golf fix. I feel like I'll be doing fairly often.

Go east to Oxbow Falls

I used to travel from FL to Norwich or Utica for work (flew into Syracuse). Oxbow Falls was nearly an hour away, but I went every day after work, weather permitting. Gawd I miss that place. Amazing elevation (possible overstatement by a FL boy), hole designs, etc. BFE location, but at least near the Thru-Way.

WoW! Harsh! I travel to Rochester a couple of times a year and especially love playing Parma, and Chili (although Chili is the most littered course I have ever played) you guys do seem to have a better organized disc golf community, but, Syracuse is improving, we have two new courses and a recently revamped 9 hole course.

Could be worse, could move from Rochester to Utica! Nothing out that way!

WoW! Harsh! I travel to Rochester a couple of times a year and especially love playing Parma, and Chili (although Chili is the most littered course I have ever played) you guys do seem to have a better organized disc golf community, but, Syracuse is improving, we have two new courses and a recently revamped 9 hole course.

Could be worse, could move from Rochester to Utica! Nothing out that way!

You can only improve when already at rock bottom. Kidding. (not really)

Chili has been much better with trash.

Also, nine hole courses actually make an area worse ;)

And yes, I'm kind of bummed... I'm between Ithaca and Syracuse now. Talk about a lack of courses. I drove back to Rochester last weekend partially just to get my disc golf fix. I feel like I'll be doing fairly often.

The layout of black diamond bothers me.

That's also the course where I almost lost my life. I planted a disc on the side of the gorge with the stream at the bottom. Decided I needed it and climbed to the middle. It was unbelievably unstable and it's a miracle I didn't fall back down. I ended up having to climb all the way to the top because of how much the rocks where sliding.

By far the dumbest thing I've ever done. Still hate to think I was so reckless for a frisbee.

Sounds like you need to convince them to put in a nice course out there somewhere!

Also, nine hole courses actually make an area worse ;)
How so? I ask because I learned the game on a series of 9 hole courses.

Also, I've found that getting your foot in the door with a 9 hole course leads to expansion to 18+ in many cases.

Joralemon started with 9. Is now going thru the expansion to 36
Blatnick started as a 9. I'm designing a back 9 for that.
Stonykill started as a 9. Is now 18 with plans to go to 36.
Thacher SP just put in a back 9.
I foresee Saratoga Spa expanding to 18 in the future.

9 hole courses are key to the growth of the game. Also a good direction to point the casual players when you're running a full tournament. ;)

I was half joking but I'm not sure I agree that nine hole courses are all that important in growing DG.

I can see the benefit in having one or two beginner level nine hole courses but the ones in my area don't see much activity. They get boring very quickly.

A full 18 hole course that isn't made for the pros is a fine way to start DG imo. A beginner can also stop after nine holes. No big deal.

I'm guessing some of nine hole courses are due to space restrictions but I'd still rather see something else (like adding nine more holes to an existing course). And obviously I like the idea of a nine hole eventually expanding to 18.

We have 4-5 nine holes here and most of them are ghost towns.

Played the East Course at Clay last week. Polished up its going to be super fun! Well done!

Dude... you have no idea. I'm missing Ellison, Parma, Chili, and Basil like crazy. All amazing courses with much different feels to them. I lived in Williamson, where a course was just installed last year biking distance from my house, cutting my drive to the closest course from 25 minutes to 5.

Not to mention the DG community and the three guys I played with regularly.

Thanks for rubbing it in, though! :(

Hoping to have a similar experience here as I get to know the courses and get connected to the disc golf community.

Last edited:

Latest posts