• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to the whole disc golf world

Check out sporting good stores. Generally, they have much better selections than Walmart.

Better yet, go on ebay and look at lower priced DX discs - you'll find some good deals on beat in discs that are better for new throwers anyway. Or here on the Marketplace - put up a Wanted ad for used throwers and tell your story. Pretty sure you'll be offered what you need at a good price.

My 10-yr-old loves to play. He is constantly wanting to throw high-speed drivers. A lot of people on here would rip those high-speed drivers out of his little hands and break them across their knee, but I doubt they have kids. I take a reasonable approach. I try not to make a big deal of it and let him have fun and learn on his own, with a little positive reinforcement for a smart choice. I make sure the lower-speed lightweight understable plastic is available in his bag. He gets a lot of positive reinforcement from the results when he chooses to throw his DX Leopard; he's figured out that he usually has his best throws with it. And he has learned that the high-speed drivers (he has a blizzard destroyer) have different flight patterns that can be useful on certain holes, even if they are not flying at the intended speed. Try different discs and learn what they do.

Bottom line -- my best recommendation is to make sure your son has a lightweight DX Leopard (150-160 g) along with couple of other discs that make it fun for him, and just encourage him to learn by doing. :hfive:

My 10-yr-old loves to play. He is constantly wanting to throw high-speed drivers. A lot of people on here would rip those high-speed drivers out of his little hands and break them across their knee, but I doubt they have kids. I take a reasonable approach. I try not to make a big deal of it and let him have fun and learn on his own, with a little positive reinforcement for a smart choice. I make sure the lower-speed lightweight understable plastic is available in his bag. He gets a lot of positive reinforcement from the results when he chooses to throw his DX Leopard; he's figured out that he usually has his best throws with it. And he has learned that the high-speed drivers (he has a blizzard destroyer) have different flight patterns that can be useful on certain holes, even if they are not flying at the intended speed. Try different discs and learn what they do.

Bottom line -- my best recommendation is to make sure your son has a lightweight DX Leopard (150-160 g) along with couple of other discs that make it fun for him, and just encourage him to learn by doing. :hfive:

I agree. I don't really try to be a stickler on what he is doing out there. If he is out there having fun, then it's a good day! He does crack me up when he throws and the disc curves right not too long after his throw (he is a lefty) and he gives the "aw come on"...and then he just smiles, runs after the disc, and is on to his next throw. But when he gets close to the basket he gets super competitive. The other day we were both pretty close and I picked up my disc and accidentally dropped it. He calls out "that's a stroke! Now I am going to beat you." I just started cracking up.

How is the Innova Birdie for a beginner/youngster? I think he would get a kick out of the graphics.

How is the Innova Birdie for a beginner/youngster?
They make for excellent supper plates. As a disc, even a Polecat would be an improvement.

I'd second the notion to find a lot auction of used discs on eBay. You can get several different molds to try out, albeit some of them may not be ideal for a beginner.

How is the Innova Birdie for a beginner/youngster? I think he would get a kick out of the graphics.

I love the Birdie. It's the only putter I carry anymore. I do come from a freestyle frisbee background though... Everyone's going to have different opinions and different reactions to the way a disc throws, the only thing you can do is try it for yourself (or in this case, let the boy try it). However, I don't disagree that an Aviar or Magnet may be a better choice for smaller hands.

Welcome to the site, and great job on being involved with your son's recreation. I recently lost my father, and the memories of playing frisbee with him in front of the house will never fade; I just wish we would have discovered disc golf before it was too late for him to try it out.

Thanks again guys for all the info and tips. It rocks that a newbie can get this much help right away.

...the disc curves right not too long after his throw (he is a lefty) and he gives the "aw come on"...and then he just smiles, runs after the disc, and is on to his next throw...

And that is the attitude that will keep him engaged, entertained, and loving this game for many years to come.

I'd do well to take an attitude lesson from your son, to be honest... ;)

And that is the attitude that will keep him engaged, entertained, and loving this game for many years to come.

I'd do well to take an attitude lesson from your son, to be honest... ;)

And this also another reason I am trying to not get a competitive attitude with disc golf. I want it to remain fun and not something that will cause me frustration. When I first started to play ball golf, it was supposed to be just a means to hang out with the guys for a few hours. After a month or two that turned into going to the range every night, living and breathing golf so that I could whip the rest of the guys on the course. The joking stopped and it was just nothing but concentration on the course. I want to keep it free and loose while playing disc golf. Yea, sure, I would love to be able to throw better. But if I don't ever improve, than it's all good because I am hanging out with my son and I am sure that will be more important to him than what score I shot on a hole.

Great story on how you discovered disc golf. It's cool jr is enthusiastic . Over hands have a place in the game. But not every throw . Nothing can replace the satisfaction of hitting a nice ,straight , shot up the middle that seems to glide for ever. Something bizarrely satisfying about it. Just like when you stripe that 300 yard driver. My family and I switched from ball golf also. It's a similar mentality to disc golf. Remember your first round of ball golf? Probably took several rounds and multiple buckets at the range before you started striking the ball. No tee times needed, don't need a long bed pick up to haul four golf bags, free greens fees, and have a course right up the street . Sounds like a winner to me. We started with innovas beginner packs of three in dx plastic. They are a good no brainier to start with for 25+/- a set. You will loose discs here and there or grow out of them, so dx is fine for now. Enjoy :thmbup:

And this also another reason I am trying to not get a competitive attitude with disc golf. I want it to remain fun and not something that will cause me frustration. When I first started to play ball golf, it was supposed to be just a means to hang out with the guys for a few hours. After a month or two that turned into going to the range every night, living and breathing golf so that I could whip the rest of the guys on the course. The joking stopped and it was just nothing but concentration on the course. I want to keep it free and loose while playing disc golf. Yea, sure, I would love to be able to throw better. But if I don't ever improve, than it's all good because I am hanging out with my son and I am sure that will be more important to him than what score I shot on a hole.

And that's the rub.

Like anything you spend any amount of time on, keeping it fun is the main thing. When you stop enjoying the it -- whatever the sport or pastime may be -- that's when you should hang it up and wait for the urge to return. I've been in the same situation as you with ball golf, Colonel. Grew up hitting the links. Wore out my five-dollar summer membership at my local golf course in Iowa when I was a kid. It's too expensive anymore. I know guys who will think nothing of dropping $400.00 on a new driver and then have a crappy 18 holes at a course they paid $50.00 to play one round. The appeal of disc golf (at first) was the frugality. (Not sure that's a word though.) It's cheap and competition within it activates the same endorphins that ball golf does....and without the hefty price tag.

"Fun" means many things to many people. I never played competitive ball golf, but I loved the time I spent across the chessboard with a like-minded woodpusher. But the great thing about disc golf is that you're not necessarily competing against a human opponent; your best competitor is yourself. Your best score. Your prettiest, most accurate throw. And, if you're lucky, the replication of that beautiful ace of which you were the only witness.

Your son has the right attitude about the game. The question is will he keep it? Competition can enhance that wonderful, cavalier attitude with the right perspective, but it can also make one a jaded, dejected individual who loathes the sport and those who play it. And that's what makes competition (and parenting!) hard.

Your attitude is the only thing you can control, but you and your son definitely have the right ones. I think you'll find that competitive disc golf is not only fun, but inclusive and rewarding. But whether you get competitive or not is irrelevant....as long as you're enjoying it that's the only thing that matters. "To each his own," I say.

Hope I didn't come off as preachy, but it always inspires me to re-evaluate my own attitude towards things when I see people with the right ones. Thanks for the perspective, brother....and I hope to see you and your son out on the course one day!

Nemmers - great post. I think you and I have very similar attitudes toward sports and life in general.

I see you are in Wilmington. Beautiful place. When I was in college playing baseball, we played against UNC Wilmington. Had a great time there and that was a very cool school.

That's what she said.

V4yGAZL.gif

Well took a leap and ordered 4 discs today

DX Leopard
DX Roc
Pro D Buzzz
Soft Magnet