• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newb - Seattle

0bro

Not only a Newb, but a bit older (50) than some. Pretty athletic and have thrown discs around since college, but this is different.
So far I appear to have started with the wrong discs...not too uncommon, or so I hear. My question is which is a more critical error a disc which is too fast or too heavy? I have a wraith that I threw it so poorly I just want to burn it. Anyway I have starting to understand the Mantra "thrown down" and now practice with only putters and midranges. However would like to understand which characteristic I need to be aware of.

Have a great weekend.

First of all from a fellow Seattleite, welcome to the board and welcome to the game. Though max weight is generally not recommended for a beginner, speed is definitely the bigger factor when learning how to throw a golf disc. You're doing well to concentrate on mids and putters, I'd also recommend trying out some fairway drivers--Gazelles and Leopards are well loved classics. You may also want to try out some older distance drivers like the Teebird or Valkyrie. They're also classics that still find a home in lots of players' bags.

Also, I assume you come from Ultimate roots--if you're more comfortable throwing a lid around, they are totally legitimate to use on the golf course.

Seattleite here as well, well a little North, Everett to be exact. If you need someone to guide you around any of our courses let me know I would be glad to.

Oh yeah and what Tim said.

Hey Tim, been a while. Nice to see you on here. :)

I would say a disc that is too fast is worse than a disc that is too heavy. You might get more enjoyment out of a heavy Comet than a fast driver. Stick with mids and putters and work on technique. Geek out, man. Watch videos, read threads and throw in open fields. Your game will evolve.

I haven't been playing long, I think disc speed (and stability design) is much more of a hindrance than weight when throwing for distance. Fast designs misbehave for me in flight, whereas too heavy usually just means I don't reach my distance potential. That said, even at my level I still see better distance with a faster disc. I'm throwing my fairways 300' and my mids 270', so not a huge jump in distance. I can reach 350' with a distance driver.

I also have a couple of boxes of failed dreams (discs) that were either too fast or too heavy. Maybe I'll get to play with them next summer, we'll see.

My max weight mids and putters behave just fine, albeit my distance with the max weight probably isn't as good as it could be if I threw something lighter. But my main point, is with the mids and putters, I don't have issues with my discs hyzering out badly or unexpectedly, they fly how they should.

In fairways, I find 165-170 to be my sweet spot. Too light and I lose control easily. Too heavy and I don't get the distance I want. I like Rivers and Teebirds, the rim of the Leopard felt too narrow in my big hands.

In a distance driver, I have to stay pretty light, below 165g. I have had some good success with StarLite Terns around 160g. The S-Line PDs and Opto Saints have been good to me too.

For headwinds, rollers, and troubleshots, I keep a 165g Lucid Felon and a 175g Star Firebird in my bag. I generally don't drive with these unless I need a hard hyzer finish. These are mainly my forehand and get of trouble discs. Although not high speed, the overstability of these discs makes it tough for me to get distance out of.

I've read the stick with mids and putters advice, and that may fit some people OK. That would bore me though, so I'm carrying too much plastic (and I'm OK with that).

hello! get a *comet! its a disc from discraft thats a favorite here on DGCR (as well as mine) that's beginner friendly (especially you come from a frisbee background) and also used to diagnose/teach good technique.

*specifically a lighter (high 160's low 170g) one in Elite X plastic.

Overly heavy discs I can at least have some fun with and work a few shots. Overly fast discs I can't do a thing with and just end up getting frustrated or playing an ugly joke of a hyzer game.

That having been said, I'm not a big arm and throw slower 150 class drivers most of the time.

Fellow Seattle over 40 player here - welcome to DGCR and Seattle disc golf! Disc mold is certainly more critical than disc weight. I think the term you're looking for is 'discing down', which means to throw slower molds/discs (mids and putters) vice the high speed / sharp edged discs (fairway and distance drivers) - with the Wraith of course falling into the second category.

Mids and putters can be thrown a lot further than you probably think they can. The characteristics you're looking for is the disc to fly a respectable distance in it's intended flight pattern when thrown with good power (80-100%) and thrown flat. For a putter that would be very straight with little fade - just a straight line up and down. Respectable distance is 220-250'. If you can hit that with your putter, then your'e most certainly ready to step up to a faster disc, however that still wouldn't be a wraith, for a beginner I'd recommend something understable in the 166-171 weight range, like a roadrunner, sidewinder or valkyrie (in premium plastic - either champion or star).

Welcome from western MA! Glad to have ya around the DGCR boards

Latest posts