• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie at 65

m1shootr

Bogey Member
Just got into this game about a month ago and I'm hooked. I have had 2 total knee replacements (Dec.2013, May 2014) and find this as excellent rehab, although I have to watch pivoting. My wife also enjoys the game. We have played several courses in our area. My throwing has been improving slowly but surely with practice. We have a practice basket, so my putting practice can be in the back yard. I'm looking forward to watching the pros at the Brent Hambrick. I have been taking in videos but one can only absorb so much. Lots of good info here. Thanks.

Welcome! If you have dicey knees pay attention to pivoting on the heel or ball of your plant foot. Pivoting while flat-footed puts a lot of unnecessary stress on the knee.

I hope you enjoy this fine game for a long time!

Greetings from the only MS1 in Oregon. I just got back from Am Worlds where there were 39 Senior Grandmasters playing. Met a couple of Legends as well.

Welcome! If you have dicey knees pay attention to pivoting on the heel or ball of your plant foot. Pivoting while flat-footed puts a lot of unnecessary stress on the knee.

I hope you enjoy this fine game for a long time!

Thanks! I'll try that.

Welcome from another 'middle aged' Ohioan!

I got started in this sport at 50, and love it. Feeling younger all the time. I've played with folks in their 60's who all look young for their age. Played the National Senior Olympics last summer in Cleveland, and noted there was an 85 year old playing with her 60 year old daughter. That actually inspired my dad (who'll be 80 next summer) to consider trying to get ready for the National Senior Games in Minneapolis in 2015.

Stay with it, go at a pace that's comfortable for you, and enjoy! :thmbup:

Search your local area for a handicapped league if you want to get into the community and have some fun. I was eliminated from my local league by a 63 year old monster with bionic parts as well. I love playing with the guy and while he doesn't have 2/3rd's my distance, he is consistent and has a reliable 300' drive that he can count on. Let me tell you, that's all he needs...

Whats in the bag and what weights are you throwing. I have disabilities also and am throwing lighter weight disc. Welcome to the site.

I'm practicing with a potpourri of discs. Among them are Cheetah, Shark, Witness Fusion, Buzz, Valkyrie, Nuke, and Dragon. I throw them in a large field, retrieve and throw again. On the course I use the Shark and or Buzz. I am starting to gain accuracy with some consistency with all of them. Putting with Magnets.

Howard, OH? Cool! Where do you play mostly?

I went to school in Mt. Vernon, long before they had a course. If you're ever in the Columbus area, hit me up. I am near all the cool courses (Brent Hambrick, Kinslow, Blendon). Note, I did not list Alum Creek in the "cool courses" list. I just can't stand that place....

Welcome from Upper Michigan. I just turned 50 and have been playing for a couple of years.

Latest posts