• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie can't break 200' (see video)

DrAudiologist

I have been playing for a few months now. I throw RHBH and have a practice field next to my house. I throw drives for about an hour every few days.

Everything lands at about 175'. A lucky chuck might go about 200' but can't seem to break through. Video link is 2 throws. First in normal speed then in slow mo. Any pointers are appreciated.

https://youtu.be/u2dnLkvZuak

Thanks
Dave

reach your arm farther back- it looks like your wrist is kind of hugging your hips, so you get some rotational motion, but not much forward momentum. Reach back and pull in a straight line forward. Imagine snapping a towel at the basket. Check out Sidewinder22's videos and HyzerUniBombers stuff- great explanations of form.

Sidewinder is seabas22 on youtube, and HyzerUnibomber is Loopghost, if you want to look them up there.

Your elbow stays tucked into your ribs. Easy distance will come if you drive the elbow forward and let your forearm uncoil as momentum carries your arm forward.

I think you should begin working on the "right pec drill".

Lots of issues but the most obvious is that you aren't extending your elbow towards the target. Your right elbow is held tight against your body and you are throwing with your forearm only.

good things to think about. This was the first time watching myself. I do see I'm not reaching back very far.

good things to think about. This was the first time watching myself. I do see I'm not reaching back very far.

I'd say you're not reaching back at all. Loosen up and let your arm act more like a whip. It will feel odd and uncontrollable at first, but you'll get there.

Agree with all the above. Your swing is extremely short, like you have alligator arms, you want to extend your swing from back to front much further. You will also need to close your stance and shoulder.

adding to the above, on your reach back, do not hold the disc with both hands. This will allow for an easier, more natural reach back.

Be patient and remember this, you're already doing better than most beginners by asking advice on this site. There's alot of people on here who really know what they're talking about.

No real helpful form information in the following post, it is more for supportive purposes...

When I started almost exactly 1 year ago I was throwing this exact same distance (about 170-200'). Through research and practice I am now driving over 300' on a good day. I still have a long way to go for my goal (350-400') but I continue to practice in the field and research. Video tape your form as much as possible and watch it back, this has really helped me the past few months. Some days my field work feels horrible (yesterday), but then when I hit the course (today) I can tell the difference that my practice has made. For every 1 day on the course I like to spend 2-3 in the field.

Keep with it!

Be patient and remember this, you're already doing better than most beginners by asking advice on this site. There's alot of people on here who really know what they're talking about.

No real helpful form information in the following post, it is more for supportive purposes...

Video tape your form as much as possible and watch it back, this has really helped me the past few months. Some days my field work feels horrible (yesterday), but then when I hit the course (today) I can tell the difference that my practice has made. For every 1 day on the course I like to spend 2-3 in the field.

Keep with it!

Seriously, you have made a GREAT first step by asking advice and posting a vid.
Don't try to change too much at once.
Be patient. It will take some time and work to get proficient. But if your goal is just to enjoy the game more, a few tweaks will work wonders.

Enjoy the journey while you work toward the destination.

Tried the right pec drill. Then worked on reaching further back, keeping my elbow up and driving it toward the target. Was getting more distance today.

Thanks to all!

DrAudiologist - where are you located? I'm sure there are people on the forum that are open to playing rounds with you and giving you help in person.

When I first started and was looking to get more distance I found the Deep in the Game series and found the tips on this backhand video by Avery Jenkins very useful.

https://youtu.be/rCs5u9ecVis?list=PL01ED51D099D66E2C

I am now driving consistently over 370' and have maxed out just shy of 400 (about 390ish). I found one of the big keys was indeed the reach back and pulling across my chest properly. What helped me out also was working on this motion while standing still, then adding a walk up/footwork later.

adding to the above, on your reach back, do not hold the disc with both hands. This will allow for an easier, more natural reach back.

Absolutely! I kept my offhand on the disc for the first two years of my DG life. I worked hard on breaking that nasty habit and have greatly improved my consistency.

The good news is that you have a lot of untapped potential for distance. To reiterate what others have said:
1) Do not ever grab the disc with your left hand.
2) Use your height and length to your advantage by keeping that disc higher, extending your arms, and rotating with your shoulders.
3) Practice driving with putters until you can reach that 180'+ mark with them. This will help you learn to cleanly throw the disc rather than torque an overstable driver.

some more great news for ya....
here in KC we have a LOT of courses we can play, and more popping up all the time.
I will second the Discmania " Deep In the Game " video series.
I will also suggest to you the Kansas City Disc Golf Association.
Its an active club with many great teacher / coaches willing to work with you and help in any way they can.

ALSO... in just about a month, the pro's are going to be in town for the Kansas City Wide Open. Check out the schedule... pick a course they are going to play at... YOU play it... then go and watch them play any.. or move between a few holes at that same course.
( playing the course before watching them play it really helps. i sat at WyCo for a couple hours last year watching group after group play one of the holes that killed me... most of them had a shot at birdie on the same hole i took a 7 on :) )

You have a great community to help you out here... and a great area to play disc golf in.
ENJOY it !!!

Latest posts