• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Newbie Disc Selection

Interesting video - according to this, all my drivers have too much glide and not enough fade. I though a lot of glide would be good for me to compensate for less speed. Perhaps Saint and Jade are closest- 9, 6, -1, 2 and 9, 6, -2, 2 respectively.

I am also curious about weight. I started with diamond and jade, but moved away from them since I wanted more than 159 grams.

When I was using the Jade I was using 156 grams, but I have one that is 159 grams I have never thrown. I might try that. Or I was thinking of trying a Saint at its lowest weight.

Dont worry about glide.

Yes slower molds are better to start off throwing. Just stay away from very overstable discs. "Not enough fade" isnt a real problem until a player has some decent power. I imagine most discs will fade.

Lighter weight discs are easier to get up to their designed speed so will fly better at lower power. Sometimes they can be less overstable/more understable at 150g vs 175g.

Like AIM said, sometimes they can be less overstable at lighter weights. I tried a 154g boss since I throw a 168g champ and a 175g star. I found out for me personally, in no wind, I turn the blizzard boss over way too much. I really never got the flight I was looking for out of it. It turned out to be a very understable fast driver that I couldn't use. I'm interested though in maybe trying again and maybe trying some things with it, powering down, hyzer flipping etc, but if I get it to power down, my release velocity slows therefore I'm not doing myself any favor, or gaining any distance by going lighter.

I'm a relatively new player also, been at it for about 2 years. I really respect you for keeping your number of discs you use down to a small number, as I think you can improve your game by doing so. However, for me half of the fun of the game is trying new discs.:eek: I started out using mainly Innova as they are plentiful and can be found about anywhere. Of course I discovered the Discraft Buzzz and it has been one of my staple discs. Eventually I discovered the MVP and Axiom discs and really like them for distance drivers and mid-range. The highest speed driver that I have successfully thrown is the Valkyrie, but most of the discs that I am using as a driver is 7 speed or so. I now routinely bag 8-9 discs, and some of the ones that I use regularly are KC Pro Aviar and MVP Ion for putting, Buzzz and Volt for mid-range, and Teebirds, Amps, and Virus for distance and fairway driving. I have slowed down on buying new discs now as I am pretty well covered with a disc for any shot.:) The main thing is to have fun, I really love the game and just wish that I had discovered it earlier in my life.

Like AIM said, sometimes they can be less overstable at lighter weights. I tried a 154g boss since I throw a 168g champ and a 175g star. I found out for me personally, in no wind, I turn the blizzard boss over way too much. I really never got the flight I was looking for out of it. It turned out to be a very understable fast driver that I couldn't use. I'm interested though in maybe trying again and maybe trying some things with it, powering down, hyzer flipping etc, but if I get it to power down, my release velocity slows therefore I'm not doing myself any favor, or gaining any distance by going lighter.

Hyzer flip that 154g boss, you don't need/want to power down, just get the angle right -- and not in a head wind unless you want a hyzer flip roller lol.

I posted elsewhere about my 149g Starlite Boss. Flies farther for me than any other disc, if I hit it right. But it's so touchy and flippy understable that it'll take off and fly dead 90-degrees to the right (RHBH) throw even in calm winds. I was just too inconsistent with it to make it work, so it sits in the box at home.

For newer throwers, as their form improves and (especially for younger people) as their strength and coordination improves, lightweight discs that once worked well for them will begin to be overpowered and/or understable, and they can move up in weight and possibly down in speed.

Finding one's personal "sweet spot", that combination of speed level, weight and form that produces the consistently best results, is one of the fun aspects of disc golf but also one of the most difficult journeys in the development of one's game...

I posted elsewhere about my 149g Starlite Boss. Flies farther for me than any other disc, if I hit it right. But it's so touchy and flippy understable that it'll take off and fly dead 90-degrees to the right (RHBH) throw even in calm winds. I was just too inconsistent with it to make it work, so it sits in the box at home.

For newer throwers, as their form improves and (especially for younger people) as their strength and coordination improves, lightweight discs that once worked well for them will begin to be overpowered and/or understable, and they can move up in weight and possibly down in speed.

Finding one's personal "sweet spot", that combination of speed level, weight and form that produces the consistently best results, is one of the fun aspects of disc golf but also one of the most difficult journeys in the development of one's game...

That's one thing about hyzer flipping light discs, you really need to read the wind direction which isn't always easy. It may be ideal where you are throwing from, but it could be swirling further down the fairway, we seem to get that a lot around here. On some holes I wish there were flags in the fairways to get a better read on what the wind is doing.

I was thinking that yesterday on the course. Long 600 foot hole, at the tee pad its guarded by trees, a wide tunnel that bleeds out in to a wide open fairway. It's always fun to guess what the disc is going to do once it gets out of the protected area. There's a flag pole that you can sort of read the wind from but it sits back behind the tee and is not always consistent with winds 500ft down the fairway. Even when I felt that I was hitting the disc on the angle it needed, I never felt I was getting any more distance with it. I was getting 350-375 on each throw with both my 169g, 175g and blizzard bosses, occasionally hitting the 400 ft mark at the driving range but that seemed to be more of an oops moment with the star and champ boss.

I was thinking that yesterday on the course. Long 600 foot hole, at the tee pad its guarded by trees, a wide tunnel that bleeds out in to a wide open fairway. It's always fun to guess what the disc is going to do once it gets out of the protected area. There's a flag pole that you can sort of read the wind from but it sits back behind the tee and is not always consistent with winds 500ft down the fairway. Even when I felt that I was hitting the disc on the angle it needed, I never felt I was getting any more distance with it. I was getting 350-375 on each throw with both my 169g, 175g and blizzard bosses, occasionally hitting the 400 ft mark at the driving range but that seemed to be more of an oops moment with the star and champ boss.

Yes, it's especially tough on a hole like that with OB on both sides of the fairway, knowing the wind direction can be the difference of having a great shot or going OB -- or a great shot going OB!

Like ball golf, the further your shot goes the more trouble you can potentially get in.

*Ahem!* :mad:

No. Not at the OP's power levels, which are not much lower than mine. If someone could throw a Leopard 300 ft., they should be able to throw a Valk or high-speed driver 375-400 ft. easily. :mad:

I don't know why some here keep trying to push this outright myth that a noodle-arm can throw a Leopard 300 ft.... not to mention say throwing a Leopard 300 ft. is the absolute standard before going to a higher speed disc, which I've seen posted on these boards before. It's just a total and complete fallacy. :mad:

Sorry to bring this post back, but I feel a need to address it as my experience absolutely contradicts it, despite how strongly worded it is.

I throw my Glide consistently between 275-300' (max measured 315'). There is NO way I am getting a Valk to 400' with my technique. Zero chance! Max measured throw for me was 340' with a GL Fury. I am by no means suggesting that everyone's experience will be the same as mine (*maybe a lesson here perhaps ;)). In fact, it will likely vary quite a bit. My form sucks and I constantly fight a strong arming habit.

I am often too consumed with measuring distance from the tee. More important though is how far from the basket I am after my drive. I have mostly ditched anything over speed 6 and my score has gone down down down. The wildcard of extra distance is not worth the wider range of outcomes in most situations, especially if your slower speed driver ends up almost as far anyway, as mine does.

Ditto. For my wife a Leo will do 300 but a valk MAYBE 320. She doesn't have the form to get a valk up to speed. Same thing with pds and destros for me.

So sorry, but I just do not believe some can throw a Leopard 300 feet, a full football field in length, but cannot throw higher speed discs significantly farther (meaning several tens of feet), form notwithstanding.

A lot of people maxing at 300' with drivers just max out that far period.

My buddys longest throw was with a leopard and it broke 450' he can throw most days 325ish.

So sorry, but I just do not believe some can throw a Leopard 300 feet, a full football field in length, but cannot throw higher speed discs significantly farther (meaning several tens of feet), form notwithstanding.

No apology necessary, your willful ignorance is impressive. Please consider that I have better things to do than lie to strangers on the internet.

Two scenarios:

Your case: everyone has exactly your experience and those who say they don't are lying to you.
Opposing case: people have all sorts of experiences and results may vary.

You're right, your position is certainly the more likely :gross:

So here is my bag at the moment:

Primary discs I expect to use most/all of the time:

Drive - 168g Saint Gold (new - replaces 175g Saint Frost)
Approach and windy putting - 178g Buzzz ESP Flex (I carry two of these)
Putt - 175g Aviar R-Pro Putt & Approach (I carry two of these)

I plan to use the above discs whenever possible but will carry the following discs to experiment with working into use:

Backup driver if I lose my primary or have trouble with it - 175g Saint Frost
Roller, hyzer flip, anhyzer - 169g Fury Gold
Drives that must go left - 168g Saint Pro Gold
Recovery throws where I need as much distance as possible but have only enough room an arm flick - 155g Diamond
Drives between 200 and 230 ft - 168g Buzzz ESP

Concern - If I carry these other discs, I will use them more than I intend to.

I should probably just carry the primary three to avoid the temptation to use the other discs when I shouldn't.

My theory with using just the primary three is that using a disc that is not the optimal disc for the shot but for which I have a feel will produce a better result that the optimal disc if I do not have a feel for it. Maybe I will just use the extra discs for practice shots to see if I can do better than with my primary discs.

Maybe I will just use the extra discs for practice shots to see if I can do better than with my primary discs.

This. I was thinking this the whole time I read your post until you said it yourself at the end. Anytime you're playing a casual round, particularly solo, throwing multiple discs per shot is a great way to progress your game. Better to let experience dictate than to assume xyz disc is ideal for abc shot/situation.

I had the good fortune to play on a semi-casual doubles card with Philo Brathwaite this summer. Cool dude, totally forthcoming with tips, but not like overbearing coach-guy. He was throwing a ton of shots with Destroyers that I would've never pulled out a HS driver on. His whole thing is, disc selection is more about the line you need, not the distance you're looking at. Sounds kind of obvious, but it was a cool eye-opener for me.

This is the kind of thing you can figure out by throwing, say, a putter, mid, and driver on every shot during a round.

His whole thing is, disc selection is more about the line you need, not the distance you're looking at.

:clap:

Not only the line, but knowing what the disc is going to do at the end of flight (degree of fade, how much it will skip, slide, or roll, etc.). McBeth expertly displayed those skills in the CCDG vid Champ vs Chumps by using high speed drivers on relatively short shots when he needed a big skip, fade, roll on a couple occasions. No way a putter would do that.

Latest posts