• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie discs I need?

Really? I think 200ft for a putter throw is a realistic distance for anyone interested in playing the game at a more competitive level, at any age! 250ft may be reserved for more advanced players, but certainly attainable for anyone willing to put in the time.

No, it's not. Many of us, including myself, are guilty of thinking just because something is easy for oneself, it should be easy for everyone.
One of my friends has been playing now for over a year and her longest throw ever is somewhere in the range of 200 ft, and that was with a DX Leopard.
She is athletic but a very small woman. Not short, but small. She is a very good putter, she has had to figure out how to use her whole body in her putt as her arm strength is too little. I have learned from her how to extend my putting range.
If I had only given her a putter when she first started playing, she would not stuck with the game.
Let's be very careful on giving absolutes on how to start a player out.

Thanks for the feedback..a little overwhelming but I'll try it all out. I will all my discs I have so far on Friday.
The good thing is I have no trouble controlling all my discs & put them where I want. But I do want to start off right & not develop bad habits..start basic & work my way up. The course I'm playing is 9 holes with front & back tees..par is 27. My 6th time playing it I scored a 32..so it's going well. And I believe I've only played the back 9 once. TTU guys later.

No, it's not. Many of us, including myself, are guilty of thinking just because something is easy for oneself, it should be easy for everyone.
One of my friends has been playing now for over a year and her longest throw ever is somewhere in the range of 200 ft, and that was with a DX Leopard.
She is athletic but a very small woman. Not short, but small. She is a very good putter, she has had to figure out how to use her whole body in her putt as her arm strength is too little. I have learned from her how to extend my putting range.
If I had only given her a putter when she first started playing, she would not stuck with the game.
Let's be very careful on giving absolutes on how to start a player out.

Totally agree with this ^^ My wife would really struggle to get a putter 200 ft. And she's been playing for a long time.

Better things to focus on would be form, a flat release, keeping that nose down. And a disc that I have and love is an Innova TL3. It's a very stable fairway driver and will hold whatever line you give it. It will let you know if your form is crap in a hurry. It doesn't take much power to throw it straight. So if it always comes out on a hyzer or anhyzer line, it's you, not the disc. If you go too overstable or understable, it gets hard to tell if you're throwing correctly or not.

All my discs are Innova.

Aviar putt & approach, I have 2 of these, and a Champion Aviar, putt & approach
Mid-range, Shark & a Stingray.
Drivers are:
I have 2 Champion Sidewinder's
Champion Archon, distance driver
Beast-X, distance driver
Champion Starfire, distance driver

It's NOT easy! As a matter of fact, it's hard and takes alot of time! It depends on the player, the person teaching or helping the player, etc, etc. I stand by my original post, instead of taking lessons almost a year into my game, I wish I would have taken lessons from day 1 and been told to just go out and throw a putter for a while. I'm sure I would have reached other goals much sooner.

Seriously get a vibram putter I use a summit for spin putts and a ridge for lobs. Besides that do yourself a favor listen to everyone. control your throw start from a stand still and work back from the hit. 2 years in i only one step and my one step throw kills my buddies longest ever with a run up, and it s controlled. My favorite disc ever right now for tight distance it a latitude 64 opto maul it does everything like a broke in river so a bit easier for newbies. I use buzzzes for mids. Learn understable discs you'll be thankful hyzer flips are game changers.

Check the weights on the aviars- ideally they would be around 170g.

I would throw your putters, mids and sidewinders for now.

Consider adding a fairway driver like a teebird, leopard, saint, volt, switch, f3 or something else.

Save the archon, beast and Starfire until you have solid form and have played a few months

All my discs are Innova.

Aviar putt & approach, I have 2 of these, and a Champion Aviar, putt & approach
Mid-range, Shark & a Stingray.
Drivers are:
I have 2 Champion Sidewinder's
Champion Archon, distance driver
Beast-X, distance driver
Champion Starfire, distance driver

A Champion Aviar is the only putter I can really throw besides an old CE Aero (too expensive for me). The Champ Aviar feels like a big mid range to me. I'd stick with it and throw it a lot. The other 2 Aviars make great all around putters.
The Shark is a pretty overstable mid range, but the stingray should work well unless you're already throwing pretty hard, the Shark may work well for you. I throw Sharks hard to get them to fly straight with a bit of turn in the flight before fading back.
Bag the Sidewinder, throw the crap out of it, then once your arm speed is up, use is as a turning driver for those big anhyzer lines. If the Beast is a little beat up, it would make a good driver for a beginner, but if it's still new or like new, it may be a bit much for you starting out. I'd hang on to it though, they make decent forehand discs too. As far as the Starfire goes, trade it for a Valkyrie. You won't have a need for something that beefy for a while.

Haha, I lost my stingray yesterday..played a course near me for the first time. It's 18 holes of heaven.
I'll pick out a few of the suggestions you all made. Thanks.

ALSO, I signed up to play in a tourney next month..recreational division..I was told the course is pretty damn tuff..so now I'm thinking, ****, maybe I should put it off. Or should I just man up & go play..be a good experience? When did you guys start playing in tourneys?

I played my tournament just a few months after playing the first time. No biggy if it's singles in rec. Disc golf is much more laid back than most sports.
I only played a couple as the pace of play is too slow for me to enjoy, but thats a different thread.

I've never played a tournament, mainly because I'm not willing to commit that much of a weekend. I have gone to watch one, however, which I highly recommend. Watching very good players play a course you are familiar with will leave you in awe and motivate you to practice.

On the other hand, I have played a few "minis" with local disc golf groups. They cost less, there's usually an ace pot or something, and you will probably get to play with people that are better than you are. Disc golfers tend to be a friendly bunch overall, so you might get to play with guys who can teach you a lot. You can also get the same experience from meeting people at your local course. Find guys who look like they know what they're doing, and learn from how they play. Sometimes you can learn from talking to them, and other times it's better just to shut up and observe.

I learned a lot from playing random doubles. Faster pace than tournaments and you have a partner to help you. Most players are willing to help newbies.

Haha, I lost my stingray yesterday..played a course near me for the first time. It's 18 holes of heaven.
I'll pick out a few of the suggestions you all made. Thanks.

ALSO, I signed up to play in a tourney next month..recreational division..I was told the course is pretty damn tuff..so now I'm thinking, ****, maybe I should put it off. Or should I just man up & go play..be a good experience? When did you guys start playing in tourneys?

I started playing about 4 months in. My suggestion would be to play it and see what happens. I found out I didn't enjoy playing in Rec division. It was too laid back for me. Challenge yourself. Get out and play with the good players and learn from them.

Sounds like you like buying discs. Me too. The absolute all-time classic midrange is the Buzzz--I love 'em. A Leopard would also be a good choice--slower than the rest of your drivers, so a good reference point. It should fly pretty differently from the others, assuming the others tend to fly pretty similar to each other for you now. I have found it very interesting to buy DX discs and keep close tabs on their flight pattern as they beat in. Also fun to tinker with the same disc in different weights and plastics.

You guys have been great..thanks for the info/tips. I played yesterday..improving each time..so much fun it is.

I'm about to play some more soon today..and get 2 of my discs out a tree..25 feet up. LOL.

DX plastic will typically beat into unstable discs for newer players. I'll beat discs up and then my wife will throw awesome S curves with them.

Latest posts