• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

newbie help!

rxflores

Bogey Member
iv been playing off and on for bout 6 months but haven't been really tryn till recently

im 17 and i mainly use rhbh but for some shots i use rhfh

i dont have a bag yet lol
im still tryn to learn my own form
Drivers
175 chap wraith
175 dx wraith
150 blizz destroyer

Mids
173 z comet
173 z buzz

Putter
177 sss wiz

should i not be useing such fast driver to learn a better form? what good drivers should i use i get around 300ft with drivers but the way i through the disc it makes them hyzer like crazy. i throw mids 200 and puts 100 cuz i choose accuracy other than distance
list sme good drivers,mids,puts i should use to help my form. thanks in advance!

You need to start with slower discs such as a leopard for your driver. Keep the nose of the disc down, slow down your approach when teeing off. Keep your chin down and read all the stickies on the technique page. Don't get discouraged. Distance don't come easy at first. Everyone wishes they learned correctly instead of having to unlearn bad habits. Check out these forums thoroughly and welcome to the site.

Let's face it, you are 17 and you wanna throw big, I understand that! However, you are right. You should not throw such fast driver and instead learn with "slower" disc.
So, I recommand you try the following
Driver : Teebird or TL, star plastic in 165g. or so.
Contol driver: Leopard in star plastic in 165g. Or so.
Mids: your mids are awesome, you should be able to use the Buzzz for driving shorter hole and in the wind a little while the comet is a very nice control mid that you can throw on many different lines, not as good in the wind though.
Putter: get an extra Wizard or two and practice like there was no tomorrow, if you can putt, you will win tourney.

Btw, don't worry about not having a max speed driver, good players (read: not me) can launch the teebird 450"...

I suggested star plastic on personnal experience. It is resistant enough so that you can practice like a mad men with it and hit billions trees while staying relatively stable. If you get a DX, the flight will change significantly even before you have developped a good form. Also, a nice beat up star Leo will fly beautifully for a long time.

If I may, I'd also like to suggest to try not to purchase new disc everyweek. I know it is super tempting, but for now, all you need (and me and most people for that matter) is a teebird of sort, a Leopard the Buzzz, Comet and Wizard. That is an awesome starter bag. Start adding some more disc when you feel you control those.

Obviously, I did exactly the opposite on just about all the advice I gave you. I started with warp speed driver (my first disc was a Katana lol) and played with new disc everyweek. I had a blast for sure but my game took more time to develop. Even today, I still buy disc like a mad men, but at least I know that it's just to satisfy my "junkiness" and that it won't make me a better player!
Enjoy the game.

Last edited:
thanks for your input!

i found my old dx leo its 150g so ima start using it like crazy and going slow.
also i cant really stick to the same grip. i use one the same grip for a round or 2 and the next round it feels weird? and suggestions on a nice control girp that i can for sure get use to.

im gettn a star leo before my next game!

i dont buy a new disc every week lol. and wont ever. im pretty solid with a small amount of disc like 3 drives 2 mids and 1 putter. but i dont have a bag yet, but any suggestions on a small bag? thats not like the innova start bag thats squareish. i dont like the bulkness.

Latest posts