• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie Mid range recommendations

Venom93corba

Ok I've been playing for two weeks and made the mistake of focusing on finding the best driver for me when I think I should have focusing on finding the best mid range. Typical new guy mistakes, trying to throw as hard as possible to get the most distance (hurt my shoulder in the process, lol). It doesn't help when your 13 year old son wants to battle you in every round you play,

I want to slow my swing down and work on my control. What to guys think would be a good back hand mid range? Thoughts?

dx shark... or dx roc if you want a little more overstability. the shark should give you a pretty effortless straight flight and remain pretty accurate. it was the first disc I really felt comfortable laying up from around 100-125 feet. as your form improves, and after a few tree hits, it'll get floppy. but it should be a great, and cheap, disc for what you need right now.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I would also add, don't feel like you have to use your putter for putting only. try throwing it when you feel like you'd normally throw a mid.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Plenty of good ones. I'm gonna suggest a Comet simply because you can make them fly well with a very easy, slow, smooth throwing motion. I like the Buzzz a lot as well, but it wants you to put more power into it. Feels comfortable and flies well. Maybe a Buzzz would be fine in Pro D or even ESP plastic... And a DX Roc is a fine suggestion as well. And there are plenty of suggestions from other companies...

Getting a good midrange that you like is fine, but don't forget the "lower speed" drivers in the speed 6-7 range. Great discs and will make sure you're still comfortable with sharper discs.

What mid are you throwing now?

Great question!

Mako3 (5/5/0/0)

Mako3. Good for beginners and pros. A straight flyer, not overstable, not understable.
Very comfortable grip. Try a weight of about 175g, not 180, unless you are throwing far.

My current mid range is out of a Beginner set that came with a basket at Costco's for $70, lol. I am completely new at this. Also, what do you think of me adding the Gateway Wizard soft and Rff to the bag?

DX Roc will likely have some healthy fade, but you can start beating one in and it will be a straight flyer. Shark, Mako3, Buzzz, Comet are also popular/good choices that will remain useful later as you get more experience.

Pick up a Leopard or something similar for a driver. With practice and good smooth form you should be able to get it flying nicely somewhere in the 280-320 range.

I played with an aviar, mako, and teebird when I started. Nothing too stable or understable.

But I do agree with the Leopard recommendation listed above. I use my Leopard for up to 300-foot tee shots and then can take 40% off and use it for longer upshots. It's a very versatile disc and teaches you to throw with different speeds and disc angles.

Ultimately what you like will depend of many factors including disc diameter, bead / no bead, and disc depth.

You can't go wrong with a Mako3, Tangent, or Claymore. All three of these will stay very straight with minimal fade even at moderate to low power. I'm currently using the Claymore for straight Mid shots but any of these will work.

Also, what do you think of me adding the Gateway Wizard soft and Rff to the bag?

Extra putters are always a good idea, even if just for practicing putts and approaches. Of course, can also play catch and throw in the field for form practice. I think most people on DGCR would tell you extra putters are a good thing unless you're short on cash and can't afford to get midranges or fairway drivers because of them. Wizards are well respected and commonly used for both putts and longer throws.

I still think a good 180 DC stingray is hard to beat, my dad can put his at 200 on his 67 year old bad knees and it helps him hit a lot of lines.

No mention of the Pro-D Buzzz?
Its a classic one to start off with. That or a Classic or Prime Truth will do you wonders.

Latest posts