• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie Mid range recommendations

Not to oversimplify things but there are 2 categories of mids: beaded and beadless. Beaded mids are like a Wizard, beadless mids are more like a Aviar PnA.

Beaded Mids: DX Roc, X or ESP Comet, Warrant
Beadless Mids: Mako3, Claymore, Truth, Buzzz, Meteor, Shark

There is no 'best' mid range disc (unless we are talking about sales numbers). Mids are similar to putters, in that for the new player, the variations between molds are largely indistinguishable. As a player gains experience, develops a style, and trys more molds, the debate about a 'best' or favorite mid begins.

Many posters on the thread are suggesting 'neutral' mids and I agree with this recommendation for 2 reasons:

1. Neutral discs are much easier to 'shape shots' with and,
2. Neutral discs promptly display technique errors - they give the player very good feedback immediately.

Neutral discs are ones with low (but not negative) high speed turn and low fade numbers. A golf disc with a double '0' in these ratings is the most neutral available.

I would also suggest selecting the lowest grade plastic and buying at least a few of the same mold and weight.

Neutral discs are ones with low (but not negative) high speed turn and low fade numbers. A golf disc with a double '0' in these ratings is the most neutral available.

I made a small error here, a golf disc with a -1 high speed turn number would also 'qualify' as neutral. Sorry about that.

I love my Mako3!! Lost it in a lake and drove back
1.5 hrs with my snorkel set to find it. Lol! Also found
a claymore that I like..

Mako, Mako3, Stingray, Cobra, Comet, Shark, Pro D Buzzz, Skeeter, Blowfly II, maybe a Tangent...all could work. I would recommend finding them in a store and seeing how they feel. When I tried the Tangent, I hated how it felt in my hand and quickly got rid of it. Some people love it. How strong you are and what your armspeed is make a difference, too. If you are don't have a lot of strength, Stingray and then Cobra might be best, Strong, Shark. See how they feel, and if you can borrow some to try, see how they work for you.

I have to agree a Z Comet is a great mid. I also love my Gateway Warrior. Warrior is very slightly understable.

My current mid range is out of a Beginner set that came with a basket at Costco's for $70, lol. I am completely new at this. Also, what do you think of me adding the Gateway Wizard soft and Rff to the bag?

Wizards and VooDoo are great soft putters IMO

All of these are good choices for a mid. I recommend a roc personally. Whatever disc you go with I would recommend base plastic they will glide better than premium plastic which is good for a beginner.

Claymore. Way better than Comet and Mako3.

Disagree but you can't go wrong with any of these. I bag them all and use them all a little differently. Comet I use for upshots mostly and even for long jump putts. Mako3 is for tee shot duties in the 240 feet range. Claymore for various things but especially low ceilings and forehands.

Last edited:
Star Wombat 3 - straightest flyer out of the box I've seen in a while. Will likely replace my stingrays which is saying a lot. The guys at Innova East convinced me. I was checking out discs for my tournament (600), so they weren't just trying a sales pitch. It has a bead.

Keep it simple: Roc or Buzzz... whichever feels best in your hand.

Both molds you can bag no matter how far your game evolves, easy to find/replace. And when you need something more _____ than a Roc or a Buzzz, EVERYONE knows exactly what you're referencing.