• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie wants another driver

get a z buzzz and throw the rest of your discs away....it will cover all your shots past the distances you are throwing those other discs

Everyone has remote diagnosed his throws based on supposition.
You may be right....but you are making many assumptions about all of it from a tiny grain of info.

Is the beast a beat dx?
Is the 150 leopard flipping over or leaving his hand with anny to begin with (as most are assuming)

There is no way to KNOW if he's got a anny/artificial flex release unless you are there.

So to sit 5 to 5000 miles away and tell him to go buy mids and putters is fine- just know that there are other reasons for the distances and flightpaths he described.

I don't have a problem with your theories, they may even be the most probable-
Yes beast is a beat Dx
Yes leopard anny out of the hand.
does this help?

Wow! I didn't mean to start a fight or anything. I think i'll go practice tomorrow at the park. I'm gonna measure off 50 ft intervals and throw my leopard and my mids ( 175 roc, 175 shark, 167 skeeter 175 classic roc) . i went today and tried to throw into a 20-25 mph headwind with little success.
i wish i could videotape my throws. Maybe thst would help much more with diagnosis. Again thanks for the advice y'all!

List of recomended discs for when you want to buy:
XL, heavier leopard, cheetah, jls, teebird, cyclone...
Or some mids:
comet, roc, buzzz, qms, fuse, core...
Or any putter you want to try:)

Don't worry bout the fighting, we appreciate things to get worked up over;)
A vocal majority here believe in the idea of throwing slower discs that are better suited for what "we" believe to be correct form. While everything said about "discing down" and having "correct" form is true, you'll find in real life very few following these theorys.

Tomorrow at the field, don't worry about distance- make you're focus tryin different grips but ALWAYS keeping the disc lined up with the tendons in your forarm. That means you'll have to tilt your wrist down like you're shakin hands with someone.
Good luck.

you might want to try something a touch lighter than the max weights you have been using
you might see an increase in your distance

lots of people like the River

maybe try a Teebird or an Eagle L

BINGO....

Beast 170g (Champ is probably best)
Wraith 170g
TL 168g (Star Baby!)

3 up 3 down.....

I feel I'm kind of in the same situation as the OP.

I started playing back in June/July, I had played once 5 years prior but my buddy got me into it and I've been hooked. Thanks Scott :) In the summer I was playing 4 times a week and at least 18 holes each time. Now it's 1-2 times a week cause of it getting dark earlier and only being able to go on the weekend cause of it. My putting skills have gotten quite good but my drives are lacking.

Anyways, I have a 150 DX Leopard (beat to hell) which I really only use for over hand shots now, my other driver is a 172 Star Destroyer. Way too much of a disc for me I think. It hyzers hard on me and I only get about 200-250' out of it (my friend throws my like 172 DX Wolf the same distance).

I need something else here soon because it's getting frustrating. I've learned to compensate for the hyzer by throwing to the right some and releasing later.

I'm going to continue to play in the MI winter if there is less than like 3" or so on the ground. Hopefully around spring time I'll be in good shape.

Most of us are getting to play less now, don't feel too bad about that. A Destroyer is too much disc for you at 250 power. Honestly it's too much disc for me at 350 power. Your destroyer could be a good headwind driver for you because when they are new they are very stable. I don't know why EL-KABONG keeps fussing about people talking about using or not using drivers. I recomended to the other guy to use a Teebird and a Leopard to increase his skills. They are both great drivers used by many of the best players in the world and are "Classics" for a reason. I learned how to throw properly when I stopped using Excals, Forces, Destroyers, and such for every shot. We go to those discs because they are fast and beefy (overstable). We know that they will always fight out and fade at the end and we end up throwing flat to anhyzer (torquing) the disc to get any real distance out of them. Stable and especially overstable discs like the ones I mentioned, want to get to the ground. That's what they do. They do not glide well, and unless you have great form, and a good arm, the average player cannot use these discs the way they are intended to be used.

Now to your unique situation, and I say this as general broad statements because I'm not able to watch you throw, less stable plastic thrown on hyzer to flat will give you more distance than you currently have. An Innova Valkyrie or Discraft Flash might be a good option for you to try and throw flat with. If you come over the top(torque) these discs they might not come back and will lock over to the right (throwing RHBH). An Innova Roadrunner or Discraft Avenger SS would help you learn how to throw with various degrees of hyzer and get the disc to flip up to flat. If you are dead set on throwing drivers, these can teach you, but I will tell you this last thing, and I promise you will improve and thank me later. Visit the discingdown thread, search for some of my posts and you'll see that several months ago, I was just like EL-KABONG. Since then, I've learned how to let the disc work for me and have won 3 PDGA tournaments this year playing Advanced. More importantly, I am having more fun because I am not frustrated all the time trying to fight the throws.

The discs talk to you, if you will listen. I learned how to truly throw in 2010. I won tournaments before 2010 in INT throwing the way you are now, and I tell you that I wish on day one, someone had stopped me when I bought that first Wraith and said: "No…use this instead" and put a Buzzz or Wizard in my hand. I spent some time on this writing this for you this morning, I hope you read it and take it and use it. Good luck, and practice when you can.

how about instead of shuffling discs trying to create D, you stick to what you have and develop some snap?

Keep using the Leopard. The Teebird is a great disc that even fairly newer players can learn with. Definately don't go any faster then a Teebird.

Slowroll thanks for the input. I'm going to try and hit up my local store or the sporting goods place tonight. Hopefully I can find a champ Leopard or maybe a T-Bird.

I so want to get an Ion but that might just have to wait till another day.

Well I missed the disc golf store being open by 20 mins. So I went Dunham's no Teebirds or Leopards. Ended up picking up a 165 DX Roc and a 167 DX Beast (I know a bit much, but I'm just going to hold onto it for a bit). I'm going to work on throwing the Roc properly and accurately before I going throwing the Beast much.

I can always return them since the disc golf store and the Dunham's is on the way to 2 of the courses I play.

I think I might just return the Beast now that I think about it. I know it's not the disc for me at this point. I'm going to really take your advice on the driver and get a Valkyrie or the others suggested. Is the Roc I bought something good to develop form and work on my distance with as well.

Thanks Again

The roc will probably be a good disc for you to learn throwing distance with. I can't promise that because when I first started discing down and really learning RHBH I hated the roc...now it's my favorite disc. See how you like it, see how it feels and really take your time learning it! Enjoy!

Roc was a good choice, throw that for the majority of your shots. Does that dunams or the store sell millenium, if so a qjls would be a great driver for you. Even better then a valk and straighter than a teebird.

Where's Waterford? What courses you play?

Craftsman no they don't carry Millenium. The disc golf shop does though.

Waterford is right by Pontiac / West Bloomfield. I play at Bay Court, Oakland University and Holly. Been to Kensington once aloooong time ago.