• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] News from Westside

Westside seems to love using +1 for HSS. They have 3 different discs with +1 HSS. Some of the beefy giants do make a case for it, but worlds definitely don't and I'd be surprised if this mid does.

What is the third disc? I only knew of the world and giant.

The fade #'s they come up with are wonky. If the flight chart was accurate a Boatman would be just a slightly slower sword, and the two Boatmen I have thrown fade way more than the swords I have thrown.

With the low glide they are showing for the Bard I am at least hopeful it will be pretty beefy.

Last edited:
What is the third disc? I only knew of the world and giant.

The fade #'s they come up with are wonky. If the flight chart was accurate a Boatman would be just a slightly slower sword, and the two Boatmen I have thrown fade way more than the swords I have thrown.

With the low glide they are showing for the Bard I am at least hopeful it will be pretty beefy.

I was referring to the new one as the 3rd one.

Westside makes great drivers. If you consider Sorcerer/Sword/World/Giant, that's a pretty incredible setup for distance drivers. However, the numbers are pretty jacked.

That being said, I'd prefer good discs with bad numbers of accurate numbers and garbage discs!

I dunno, I consider Westside's high speed turn numbers to be complete nonsense (but as Tampa mentions, I'd rather have great discs than accurate flight numbers that I quickly ignore anyway...)

My (probably horrible) hypothesis is that Innova does their flight numbers like this:
"if you throw this speed 5 disc with 'speed 5' power, you'll get about this much turn."

My Westside hypothesis goes like this :
"If you try to throw this disc 300', no more no less, you'll get about this much turn."

I think this why a lot of experienced players find Westside to be much less high speed stable than the stamped numbers.

I noticed the Bard's listed max weight as 176. So that would place it in the Suspect, Zone or Gator range. Small diameter overstable Mid.

I dunno, I consider Westside's high speed turn numbers to be complete nonsense (but as Tampa mentions, I'd rather have great discs than accurate flight numbers that I quickly ignore anyway...)

My (probably horrible) hypothesis is that Innova does their flight numbers like this:
"if you throw this speed 5 disc with 'speed 5' power, you'll get about this much turn."

My Westside hypothesis goes like this :
"If you try to throw this disc 300', no more no less, you'll get about this much turn."

I think this why a lot of experienced players find Westside to be much less high speed stable than the stamped numbers.

LOL

glidey = squirrely

I think the numbers are pretty accurate. Since +1 and -1 are completely arbitrary.

how are +1 and -1 completely arbitrary? You should see a pretty noticeable difference between a legit -1 HSS disc and a legit +1 HSS disc. Maybe arbitrary in regards to trilogy discs since they just randomly slap numbers on their plastic.

I think his point is that +1 and -1 have no source of measurement of reference. It doesn't represent any unitt

The Seer is listed as an understable control driver. The Underworld pretty much covers that slot, right?

Edit : Found flight numbers... so a less understable control driver. That intrigues me.
Seer is 7/5/-1/2
Underworld is 7/6/-3/1

Yeah UW is the understable driver, I would think this would be the Cheetah or TL of the lineup if it was really -1/2. We all know Westside numbers are off though so we'll have to give it a huk to find out. As it sounds, I feel like "understable" was probably a misnomer, it looks more like just stable to me. (Stable = relatively straight flight.)

I think his point is that +1 and -1 have no source of measurement of reference. It doesn't represent any unitt

Right. Maybe Innova uses the "Nice and stable" unit of hss, and Westside uses the "Pop up and ride" unit.

The difference between a Westside +1 and -1 is very noticeable, and fairly consistent. The numbers relate Westside products to each other. You all want them to relate their products to Innova products, but they have no reason to do that.

That being said, I'd prefer good discs with bad numbers of accurate numbers and garbage discs!

Well said. The trick is finding one that does what it's supposed to do.

The newer Westsides I've gotten, without the little paper stamp on the back with the weight, seem more true to their intentions than the earlier runs and factory seconds i've spent time with. I have found and Stag and Underworld that fly pretty true to the numbers, and the Hatchet seems pretty close as well.

I think their mids/putters are pretty much right on for the numbers.

BTW, I am very happy to see a new mid - Bard is all-new; I guess the other new ones are as well.

Last edited:
I have always looked at Westsides flight rating as if they were thrown at very high elevation, and this is possibly where they are tested in Finland... just a thought though

Dude even here in Colorado my Sorcerers have decent amount t of turn. But they do fly much better here than they did at sea levelish in Korea.

I love Westside ' s drivers but have never clicked with their mids. Bard sounds interesting for sure.

Latest posts