• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

News' New Bag

New013

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
New Bag.. New Thread. I'm going to upgrade pretty soon to a bigger bag, I like carrying a smaller bag but I'm tired of choosing between certain discs for rounds; then getting out there and wishing I had another disc. Not sure what bag I'll buy just yet but looking for one that carries at least

Stats: 27 Male, 6'2. RHBH predominately, working in more FH.

Disc / Weight / Max D on course - Description (Discs in red are out of the bag)

Distance
Champ Wraith /172/420 - beat in, I've got a lot of control with the Wraith so it just keeps hanging in there. there aren't many courses I play that I need anything faster than speed 9 so it rarely gets thrown.

Champ Archon /168/430 - don't use it much but i love to throw it, use it mainly for hyzer flips that go really straight or long turnover shots.

Fairways
Star Firebird /174/360 - it's really flat and very OS. use it mostly as a FH and thumber disc but have been incorporating a healthy dose of long range rollers in to its repetoire.

Champ Banshee /172/350 - Beat in, utility disc. use it mainly for spike hyzers, tommys, FH shots, getting out of trouble.

CE Eagle - Straight shooter with low fade, use it for low & long control shots

CAL Champ TL /175/370 - Very Stable with good fade, fights wind like a champ because it's so flat. taking the place of my Eagle which I sadly cracked.

Champ TL /167/380 - Newish, straight with reliable fade

Champ TL /172/380 - beat in more like a Star TL, main control driver

Opto River /171/400 - overlaps with my array of TLs but the one thing it has they don't is crazy glide. so generally when i want more D than the TLs can give me i go with this disc.

SE TL /170/340 - Beat in to understable, use it for controlled turnover shots

Mids
C-MD2 /176/340 - Really beat in, It was my go to driving mid but i've beaten it to the point where it doesn't do the thing I want it to do anymore, it's more in the range of my mako so I'll have to make a decision between the two. I'll probably buy another because I love how it used to fly.

Axis /180/340 - Still newish, using it mainly for slight annys/hyzers or through tight gaps, long approaches. It's been taking the place of my CMD2 for drives in that range.

Star Mako /180/340 - Newish, it's an X-out and it's super gummy and pliable feels like Pro plastic almost, started out a bit more understable than most Makos I've had. I love this disc, when i'm in doubt i grab the Mako. use it mostly for shorter drives, most annys and some approaches.

Putters
R-Pro Pig /175/300 - Beat in but still very stable with good fade, use it for short drives where i need good fade, rollers, short flex shots.

Pro Pig /171/310 - Beat in to the point where it's not a Pig anymore, used to use it off the tee but it's gotten unreliable, still use it on FH approaches some upshots where I've got room to fade it in. I'm much more comfortable with this disc than my Ions still so it's staying for now. I still use it for putting and approaching in the elements as well because the Ions don't like being wet.

M Ion /166/310 - beaten in to very straight, short straight drives, main approach disc now, use it for long putts

Eclipse S Ion /171/ - really starting to love this disc, using it more and more off the tee where i would of gone Pig, short straight on approaches, and currently using it for putts outside of 30' because it's a bit less stable than my main S Ion.

S Ion /173 - main putter, only use it for putting, really starting to putt well with it and happy i made the switch

That's what would be in my new big bag if I had the big bag today. I'm considering doing some more moving and shaking, possibly adding a Max D disc that's a bit faster. Here's what I'm considering...

P-PD - bought one today, I've been wanting something a bit longer than my fairways and more stable than my current fairway lineup. Will it overlap with my Firebird or CAL mold TL?

Pline Hurricane - Got it from the disc pass and I can really chuck it, don't know much about it but it may be the Max D disc I go with for now. any other suggestions? I've tried Destroyers, Nukes, Havocs, Boss and Ape. I like my pro destroyer but it's just to inconsistent, you have to throw it just right to get the results you want.

More Stable mid - can't really decide if I want to go back with the Warrior which I had good times with or get a new CMD2 and go back with what I know works with my current game. any other suggestions are helpful, i don't do small diameter mids though.

Other than that I plan on soon replacing both Pigs in my bag with a new 175 Pro Pig, it really depends on how fast I get comfortable using the Ion for upshots and how fast the R-Pro breaks in to the point where its not useful.

I know the Firebird and Banshee kinda overlap but I use them in completely different situations so it's not really been a problem. I do wonder if the P-PD will overlap at all?

I'm also considering switching out the SE TL with something more built for that shot. Never really had any discs other than the Roadrunner that fit that slot and I didn't really like the RR. My pro leopard is about the same disc as the SE TL but a bit shorter and a bit less stable.

Last edited:
P-PD will overlap the TL. If you got a stiff, domey one, you're in for a treat. ;) P-PD shouldn't overlap with the FB or Banshee at all. Might overlap with the River as it beats in though.

I'd probably just get a new MD2 or try a Vector.

yea that's what i was thinking, i'll know more when i actually throw it. hopefully it does take the place of at least one of my TLs so I look less like a TL freak.

I haven't really thought about the Vector, threw it a couple times and moved on. It deserves another look.

You know, the Q Sentinel is a really underrated mid. Might gel with you being wide diameter.

hmmm, i'll look in to that. i don't think they sell those around these parts, might take some searching.

The only thing you need to know about Q Sents is the old mold is really beefy and the "www.Innova" mold is much more workable. If you didn't want to shell out $$$ for a Champ Roc, people would just use the Sent (or a Wasp). I like the Sent better than those 2 b/c it feels a bit lower profile.

Mids:
If you choose the MD2 over your mako, then another one of those purely to eliminate molds, but if not choose the Warrior. I LOVE mine.

BroD - I still just don't like the way Rocs feel in my hand, I don't know what it is really. I've played around with a new KC Pro and it was alright but I preferred the CMD2 when it was newer, you can do more stuff with it. i'm not even really sure i need something that overstable, just what the CMD2 used to be. I've tried out the Pain and it's to overstable for my purposes so anything in that range is really unnecessary since i've got a pig and a banshee.

HenryZ - yea the chance to get down to one mold out of those two slots is appealing but I love the Mako for what it does so much it's hard to imagine not having it in my bag. i did love the warrior for the few months i had one. i'll probably hunt one down and see how it fits in my game now.

P-PD is not as stable as I figured, you were right brod, overlaps with river. Need more throws to figure it out. I was hoping it would be more like a starfire with glide.

Scratch all of that, there's some overlap and I'm adding two discs in and taking some out. won't need that new bag right now.

Drivers

Star Firebird 173- Thumbers, Tommys, FH, some flex shots, rarely throw it BH
P-PD 175- replacing my MaxD drivers and River for now. just testing it out, wish it would stay at it's current stability cuz it's perfect. hit 470' yesterday with a slight tailwind which is crazy for me.
CAL TL 175- flat/beefy, straight with hefty fade, very consistent disc
CFR Champ TL 172- beat in to perfection, control driver
Pro Leopard 170- turnover driver

Mids

Star Mako 180- gummy, workhorse mid, shots that need to be worked, annys
FR Oj Axis 180- long mid drives, downhill shots, gap hitter, straight shooter

Putters

Pro Pig 175 - new/super beefy, short right to lefts, upshots, flex shots
Eclipse S Ion 171 - short drives, approaches/long putts
S Ion 173 - main putter inside 40'

Get yourself a lightweight S-PD (167-170), starts out a little more OS than the P-PD, but after about 3 or 4 rounds will break-in nice for a long time.

does it have the same amount of glide?

i'm not really sure it'll end up staying, it's very similar to my Opto River which I love and I know that will keep it's stability much longer. the PD is just a tad bit faster so I can get it out there farther with the same amount of control.

The best P-PDs are the domey stiff ones IMO. They hold on to their stability pretty well.

mines stiff, i think it's domey, don't have others to compare it to, it's domier than my TLs

The S-PD are nothing like the River. I carry two rivers in the bag and also carry PDs. The PD is a very workable mild overstable driver. For me it flies alot like an Orc with more fade, or a much longer Eagle-X. I tried the P-PDs and you're right they overlap the river alot, but the S and C PDs are much different.

mines stiff, i think it's domey, don't have others to compare it to, it's domier than my TLs
In that case, if you think the P-PDs will overlap too much with your Rivers, then you might want to do this -----------V
Get yourself a lightweight S-PD (167-170), starts out a little more OS than the P-PD, but after about 3 or 4 rounds will break-in nice for a long time.

Might do that, I wanted something more starfirish with better glide in the first place.

So I've picked up a 175 S-PD and a 175 SOLF in addition to my 175 P-PD and my 171 Opto River. Still getting to know these discs but from first impressions I really love the SOLF, it's so easy to control.

The S-PD does have that extra stability I was looking to add to my lineup but since I've completely changed my mind and dropped my wraith and archon for now, I want something a bit more flexible in its lines.

The P-PD was great from the first throw but it's already losing its stability and I can tell it'll soon be something I'll have to hyzer flip or use as a long turnover driver. I think I can pull those shots off with my River and it'll keep it's flight characteristics for much longer.

So I'm having some serious indecision problems with my drivers, if you couldn't tell already. I like all of them but there is overlap so two must go. Basically it's SOLF or S-PD and River or P-PD. Any input that might sway me either way?